george

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

whistling.gif Prediction:

The F1 people will send an advance inspection team to Bangkok, take a look at the "circuit" the Thais propose, and laugh their heads off at the poor state of the roads.

smile.png

God prayers,.... a badly provided infrastructure that hasn't been improved for years, with bad roads.... if there are below surface drainage pot holes, below the weakening asphalt surface, while the cars are racing,... you know what I mean right???wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif It can end up deadly....

a couple of years ago i attended a red bull F1 display on ratdamnoen at the democracy monument. it involved 2 or 3 hours of the announcer imploring the audience to please get off the street, which they never did. the consequence of this was they "demonstrated the awesome power of these machines by driving up the block, around the monument, and back, at the ferocious speed of about 40 miles an hour in first gear with the machine coughing and spitting unable to deal with speeds so slow. i hope TPTB can find a way to avoid this sort of situation as an event such as this IMHO could be a real boon to Thailand in they can keep the government and the banking sector away from it.

Canadian expat living in BKK 20 yrs.

Do they have a race track already made in Thailand?

I have seen how slow construction is here, unless it is

already made, there is little to no chance it will be ready

for 2014.

There is a house beside my condo that has been under

construction for 18 months .... so far

IMO it is a stupid event for Thailand to host ... money could

be spend on so many better things ... such as education ....

Then again Thai gov't do not want the people educated.

F1 is an event for the rich and most Thais cannot afford

Using Bangkok streets should prove interesting. A few wondering buffalo should add a new dimension to the race. A meandering tuk-tuk should be fun too!

This idea has floated around different sections of the newspapers for months. Remember the delegation that was going to meet with the F1 brass in September at the Singapore race? There is no quote from Bernie or anyone else connected to F1. There are many hurdles to securing a race and this BS has not even been approved by the raft of ministries and the government necessary to get the ball rolling. Think Bangkok Eye and high speed rail as an example of the bile that is spewed by the various ministries every month in a attempt to keep relevant.

Then there is the corruption... Floods... Civil unrest...

I would love to see a race here but it's not going to happen.

Lest not we forget how the NASA thing turned out...biggrin.png

Lest not we forget how the NASA thing turned out...biggrin.png

The moon landings were fake?

There's a TV commercial featuring cars racing round the Victory monument - they could 'shop in F1 cars using that footage and then claim it actually took place...

The amount it would cost to build a circuit and then to host the race is ridiculous. The tickets would be too expensive for any of the locals to be able to attend so it becomes irrelevant for them. All the people that would stay at the hotels and resorts wouldn't reach the local economy because they are all internationally owned. So all the locals would receive would be if people ate at a restaurant that was locally owned which the majority of people would most likely not shop. also until Bernie Ecclestone comes out and says something i class this as toilet paper news plus on top of this you have all the problems what have happen as of late and the years before that too ...

UPDATE

Thai sports officials are sounding increasingly confident that the Kingdom will host a Formula One Grand Prix in 2014.

If Bangkok does manage to host an F1 race, there will certainly by a lot of local interest, beginning with His Majesty the King, here shown questioning F1 driver Mark Webber about his Red Bull car in December 2010.

2014 F1 Grand Prix “definitely” coming to Thailand, official says.

Thai sports officials are sounding increasingly confident that the Kingdom will host a Formula One Grand Prix in 2014.

If you listen to Kanokphand Chulakasem, governor of the Sports Authority of Thailand, it sounds like a done deal.

Yesterday he said the country would definitely get the green light to stage a Formula One race in November 2014.

The event, to be called the Formula One Grand Prix Thailand, is likely to be a night race.

Although details, including the fee and venue, are still to be finalised, the SAT governor is confident that it will take place in Thailand.

"A contract is likely to be signed later this year," Mr Kanokphand said.

"It is likely to be a one-year deal with an option to extend."

It could be staged at Ratchadamnoen Avenue or Muang Thong Thani, the SAT governor said.

We have been working closely with F1 officials to look for the best site," Mr Kanokphand said.

The government would shoulder about 60 percent of the total cost and the rest would be paid by private companies such as Red Bull and Singha Corporation, he said.

Michael de Santiesteban from Red Bull confirmed interest on the part of his company and said Thailand would certainly be a Formula One host in 2014.

"Concerned parties have been in talks to finalise details," he said

Mr Kanokphand admitted, however, that there are some local details to be worked out. Such a big project must be approved by the government and a public hearing may be needed before any official green light would be given.

Adapted from a story by Kittipong Thongsombat in today's Bangkok Post.

I remember similar stories like this about the tablets for students. On and on, finally only partially true, and a bad idea.

Interesting, plus I love watching the GP. But how about spending the money on fixing appropriate solutions, such as Bangkok's flood issue.

River dredging, drain cleaning, and sewer systems are far more important issues to address! ;)

Haha!......... Bernie has the Thais dancing to his tune already! He's up to his usual game of playing the GP suitors off against each other. He's even talking about a street race around London just like the one around New Jersey and Moscow before that. Korea is under pressure just now and the Singapore night race is very popular and he fancies another one in Asia because of the TV revenues but Bangkok isn't Singapore.

Very true totally agree with you also the list to host a F1 race is dam long and on top of that Myanmar have got a better chance to host a race due to all that untouched land available plus more flights are now being allowed in these days i see on the news site .. I find it very original of Thai's coming up with the same idea what Singapore are doing ...

Again, many pessimistic submissions from members - how sad, or perhaps they are all depressed at sitting at home all the time? This could be a great money earner for Thailand, both in direct and indirect income and as one writer observed, Singapore recouped it's costs in infrastructure in one year, thereafter, it is money in the Bank for the Country (and yes, yes, we know all about corruption). These F1 Races are big Corporate events and that means mega bucks being spent by the likes of the Blue Chip Companies, not to mention bringing many people to Thailand for the first time, who will become frequent returners. I also see Red Bull ideally placed to be heavily involved in this with their significant F1 experience. As for preparing the venue, particularly the Member who has been watching the house next door being under construction for 18 month; I built seven houses in six months and the builder was Thai and a cracking job he did too! Mind you, I did write a Contract (in Thai) and invited him to name his completion date, with the proviso, if he over shot the date there would be heavy financial penalties.

I think this is a great idea for Thailand and I am sure they can pull it off and be highly successful, in many ways.

Again, many pessimistic submissions from members - how sad, or perhaps they are all depressed at sitting at home all the time? This could be a great money earner for Thailand, both in direct and indirect income and as one writer observed, Singapore recouped it's costs in infrastructure in one year, thereafter, it is money in the Bank for the Country (and yes, yes, we know all about corruption). These F1 Races are big Corporate events and that means mega bucks being spent by the likes of the Blue Chip Companies, not to mention bringing many people to Thailand for the first time, who will become frequent returners. I also see Red Bull ideally placed to be heavily involved in this with their significant F1 experience. As for preparing the venue, particularly the Member who has been watching the house next door being under construction for 18 month; I built seven houses in six months and the builder was Thai and a cracking job he did too! Mind you, I did write a Contract (in Thai) and invited him to name his completion date, with the proviso, if he over shot the date there would be heavy financial penalties.

I think this is a great idea for Thailand and I am sure they can pull it off and be highly successful, in many ways.

Shit they can't even pull of 3G without problems .. What make you think they can pull off a F1 race and what happened with the recent floods also on top of this look at other sports event's what have happened on the international stage low number turn outs with big names coming to Thailand ...

This is going to be fun, if it does go ahead.

Does Bernie realize just how many palms he will have to grease...

There must be something lost in the translation.

Bernie does not grease palms - it's Bernie's palms that get greased!

• Like 2

Just think of all the work permits needed. Drivers, crew, staff.. whew.. I wonder how long it will take to get them all?

They would be exempt from needing work permits under a few different criteria.

How so?

When I have done short-term work here I have been given a temporary work permit after application at the airport.

As far as I am aware there are no "different criteria" that exempt foreigners from work permits no matter the circumstances.

They could be exempt because they were "performing missions in the name of education, arts, sports and culture" - They could also be exempt under the simply fact Thailand has the right and ability to exempt any person or group they wish performing a service in Thailand - they could also be exempt under "urgent and essential work" definition if there stay is under 15-days .... these are just some possibilities but the big one being is Thailand itself (as other countries do for regular international sporting events) is going to make this an easy process to get these folks into and out of the country and pretty sure this would all be ironed out before hand in the contract.

The Red Bull connection here is strong and will be a source of big money as well as the ....Bhakdi families Singha and Chang. Heck the Yoovidhya (Red Bull)family even has a spare Ferrari driver waiting for a ride

R U suggesting a link between the manslaughter of Thailand Policeman and the sudden announcement that the GP will b held meaning a "sponsor" has emerged?

for 2014.

Why is it that so many TV posters think that observations made remotely through condo windows or from bar stools makes them construction experts? FYI many people build houses bit by bit as they get the funds together. I have worked on many "real"projects ("real" meaning costing over USD 100 million) and many were constructed on schedule. The funds spent on building a circuit would likely result in a good return on the investment anyway.

Personally I wish Thailand luck and hope it happens.

BTW there is a racing circuit near Pattaya called Bira but I am not sure that it is big enough to hold an F1GP

Edited by witsawakorn

for 2014.

It would bring an additions of 10's of thousands of what you describe as "rich" people into the country which in turn would dump a lot of money into the economy. Also, the Grand Prix is held on city streets and speeds vary depending on the country's street (circuit). I'm not a big fan but lived in LA and have been in Singapore when the events were held. I believe top speed in Singapore is about 185 MPH and Long Beach is 240 MPH..

Think you will find the is max speed of 320km now days from the cars and can be done on all current tracks

Singapore - "top speeds approach 297 km/h (185 mph)" http://www.vivaf1.com/singapore.php

Long Beach "Top speed is around 240 mph" (385 km.h) http://www.sub5zero....-recap-results/

Singapore is F1, and Long Beach is IndyCar, very different things, F1 is 2.4 L, Indy is 3.6 L very different cars.