New Trick By Bars In Soi Bhuakaow

thaisabai

I certainly hope this despicable practise of forcing 2 for the price of 1 doesn't spread to the girlie bars! I can hardly handle one now whistling.gif . I have no problems with liquor though!

It's not 2 for the price of 1 though, it's 2 for the price of 2.

Or if you only want one it's 1 for the price of 2

Still an attractive proposition?

I'm getting to the stage now were I ask the price of a drink before I order it, I think they make this stuff up as the notion takes them, especially as there is serious lack of price lists on display in any of these places

I know a bar were a tiger beer is 50baht and a sngsom coke is 60baht <deleted> ?

the beer costs the bar about 25 baht

the SS coke costs the bar about 10baht to put in the glass

drinking SS you will most likely drink more of them than beers - now unless they think everyone is stupid what on earth are they thinking

the beer is priced right at 40-60baht but the SS shoulf be 35-45 at the most

Edited by smedly

JEEZ the sneaky B@stards. Lets hope it doesn't catch on elsewhere. This giving something away for free needs to be stamped out now ! whistling.gif

Where did you read that he got the second drink for free?

I read that they charge fro 2 drinks,regardless of the OP wanting only 1.

Well said jbrain!

Disregarding those who think the OP is being fastidious, I would argue that we should always be entitled to know what is on offer. If it's 50 baht for one, and 75 baht for two, well fine, then we have a choice that we can make.

I have often found that those who spout off on forums like this about how people should "get a life" are the first to complain when they're confronted with such "real life"...!!

Londondan, how do you react when things aren't quite right? Do you just deal with it, or go around calling everyone a dick?!

Well said.

Londondan, how do you react when things aren't quite right? Do you just deal with it, or go around calling everyone a dick?!

I'll tell you 1 thing I don't do:

Pour an alcohic beverage into a plant pot as I'm leaving a bar w00t.gif

Thailand, and Asia as a whole, is full of visitors and expats who react like this when things either don't got their way, or they fail to understand whats happening. It happens every day at most airports I pass through, some traveller that can't control their temper and starts ranting and raving because they've asked to pay for excess baggage, can't get the seat they want, don't get an upgrade etc.. Its really sad IMO.

Every guide and travel book I've ever read covers such topics and it should be compulsory reading for people travelling to Asia.

Edited by londoedan

Once a week on a Wednesday evening at The Londoner in Bangkoks Sukhumvit Road, at the corner of Soi 33, they have a 2 for 1 night - you pay for 1 drink and you do get 2. OK, thats a great promotion and very popular - but 1 beer (for example Heineken on tap) will cost 107 baht anyway...so I think the cheap bars in Pattaya selling 2 for 2 and charging only say 70 to 80 baht are still extremely cheap.

It's certainly not worth getting annoyed about, and as for paying for the two drinks and then pouring the second one away, thats crazy.

Just turn to anyone at the bar and ask if they want it, or if its likely that you MAY go to another bar anyway, just drink it... its just cost about 80p or around US$1.30...

Yes, I guess they should warn you, but T.I.T. - and if it's become the default standard in Pattaya, I suppose they didnt think of it.

....as an exercise, try coming to Bangkok and pay anything from 107 baht and up for one beer or standard drink...

JEEZ the sneaky B@stards. Lets hope it doesn't catch on elsewhere. This giving something away for free needs to be stamped out now ! whistling.gif

This is as bad as the "free" breakfast with the room rate. I don't want their breakfast. I certainly don't want the same thing day after day when there on a long holiday. I definitely don't always get up for breakfast. And, it is not free because they have raised the price of the room to account for it.

• Like 1

Where did you read that he got the second drink for free?

I read that they charge fro 2 drinks,regardless of the OP wanting only 1.

Well said jbrain!

Disregarding those who think the OP is being fastidious, I would argue that we should always be entitled to know what is on offer. If it's 50 baht for one, and 75 baht for two, well fine, then we have a choice that we can make.

I have often found that those who spout off on forums like this about how people should "get a life" are the first to complain when they're confronted with such "real life"...!!

But would you bother starting a thread on this forum about it? That is the issue really that something so insignificant would prompt someone to start a thread on this forum.

I'll tell you 1 thing I don't do:

Pour an alcohic beverage into a plant pot as I'm leaving a bar w00t.gif

Thailand, and Asia as a whole, is full of visitors and expats who react like this when things either don't got their way, or they fail to understand whats happening. It happens every day at most airports I pass through, some traveller that can't control their temper and starts ranting and raving because they've asked to pay for excess baggage, can't get the seat they want, don't get an upgrade etc.. Its really sad IMO.

Every guide and travel book I've ever read covers such topics and it should be compulsory reading for people travelling to Asia.

Hmm, if this true that Thailand and Asia are full of visitors who react like this, then I guess their reaction must be warranted.

I never saw a majority of people react the same way if it wasn't justified.

I can't believe the amount of people here trying to defend a tight arsed, cheap Charlie that's crying like a baby over what boils down to having to pay 75 Baht for 2 bottles of beer in a bar in Pattaya. You pay that for 1 here on Samui. I suppose he is upset that the 75 Baht eats into his 300 Baht a day living allowance so is p@ssed.

As I have already suggested I advise he sits outside his local 7/11 which will sell him a big beer for around 40 Baht and he is guaranteed to just get the one thumbsup.gif

Once a week on a Wednesday evening at The Londoner in Bangkoks Sukhumvit Road, at the corner of Soi 33, they have a 2 for 1 night - you pay for 1 drink and you do get 2. OK, thats a great promotion and very popular - but 1 beer (for example Heineken on tap) will cost 107 baht anyway...so I think the cheap bars in Pattaya selling 2 for 2 and charging only say 70 to 80 baht are still extremely cheap.

It's certainly not worth getting annoyed about, and as for paying for the two drinks and then pouring the second one away, thats crazy.

Just turn to anyone at the bar and ask if they want it, or if its likely that you MAY go to another bar anyway, just drink it... its just cost about 80p or around US$1.30...

Yes, I guess they should warn you, but T.I.T. - and if it's become the default standard in Pattaya, I suppose they didnt think of it.

....as an exercise, try coming to Bangkok and pay anything from 107 baht and up for one beer or standard drink...

Many bars in Bangkok charge 70 baht for a beer.

This is as bad as the "free" breakfast with the room rate. I don't want their breakfast. I certainly don't want the same thing day after day when there on a long holiday. I definitely don't always get up for breakfast. And, it is not free because they have raised the price of the room to account for it.

You know it's not free, so why are you complaining. Find a hotel that has cheaper rooms without breakfast. If I know I'm not going to have breakfast then I pick the option of room without breakfast. It's pretty simple. You should try it.

Very very easy solution change hotels no need to drip.

JEEZ people ! Are the shoulders too sore from the backpack or something ? blink.png

Palms got sweat rash from clutching your lonely Planet guide book or how to do SE Asia on 5 dollars a day ? blink.png

I suppose when you are paying 150 -200 Baht a night you don't expect anything free. nothing like air, breakfast, internet, TV etc! thumbsup.gif

I agree with you LongTimeLurker

I don't understand the reaction of many people here, or I suppose they drink tens of drinks and it's not a problem for them...

I don't like this practice; it's clearly forcing to buy more.

When I stop in a bar I usually stop for just 1 drink; I don't see why I should pay for 2!

I agree with you LongTimeLurker

I don't understand the reaction of many people here, or I suppose they drink tens of drinks and it's not a problem for them...

I don't like this practice; it's clearly forcing to buy more.

When I stop in a bar I usually stop for just 1 drink; I don't see why I should pay for 2!

Another one that just doesn't get it

YOU ARE BUYING 1 BEER FOR 75 BAHT AND GETTING TWO !

Who apart from an idiot has a problem with this ?

JEEEEEZ no scam just good business sense !

If you only want the one beer fine. You simply pay the nice lady behind the bar 75 Thai Baht for it.

If you are a normal person then you accept the second FREE beer and think what a result you have just had by getting TWO BEERS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE !

Now do you understand ?

No ? I thought not. maybe it should be included as a warning in lonely planet !

Maybe there is an opening for the Dummies guide book series

Drinking in Pattaya for Dummies thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Another one that just doesn't get it

YOU ARE BUYING 1 BEER FOR 75 BAHT AND GETTING TWO !

Who apart from an idiot has a problem with this ?

Be serious, 75 baht is not the price of 1 beer,

even on Walking Street you have beer in agogos for half this price !

It's clearly: 2 for 2 and no way to buy only 1 at a different price for only 1.

JEEEEEZ no scam just good business sense !

Good business sense would be to make beers at 40 baht,

or a promotion like: 1 for 50 baht, 2 for 75.

Edited by Pattaya46

Another delusional fool who thinks bars charge 37 Baht 50 Satang a beer blink.png

If I go to the equivalent of walking street here I will expect to pay between 70 and 100 Baht a beer. I may find a bar where I can get a beer at 50 Baht but that will be Chang and isn't in the heart of the town but a quieter part of the island altogether.

Again two beers for 75 Baht in the heart of Pattaya is good value for money by any standards.

• Like 1

I believe the problem here is not the "buy one" get two drinks principal, it's the fact that it is thrust on a customer without their knowledge and without any signs in the bar to indicate, it is only when an observant punter looks at his checkbin and asks why his 10baht drink was 90 baht that the bar reveals - it would be my guess that a lot of people don't question the price and never see a 2nd free drink.

IMO this is scam activity and I'd say most of those here trying to trash this thread are bar owners trying to trivialise charging 3x the correct price for a sangsom coke.

and the guys who are compareing saying these prices with BKK or samui claiming they are cheap have got it wrong - yours are rediculously expensive and these are priced correctly or even still overpriced, based on normal double up price practise from the west (my family own a bar) a samsong coke should be 20baht and a tiger beer 50baht or slightly less.

Some bar owners like realters here think that people that visit Thailand compare like for like to their home countries - fundamentally why some customers get ripped off and also why there are a number of savy customers that understand the economics and it's the bar that closes due to blatent stupidity.

I've said it many times and I'll say it again - thank god for family mart and 7/11 for keeping a stake in the ground when it comes to pricing.

I don't drink at 7/11's I go to bars that aren't afraid to have prices clearly advertised inside and out and have their prices set correctly, if a bar doesn't have prices displayed I'll ask first and if I don't like the price I'll walk away - simple, I'm not a cheap charlie but equally I know what price stuff should be here and don't like being ripped off - remember it costs a bar 10baht to put that samsong coke in the glass, you'll likely drink more of them than beers so it should be priced to reflect that compared to beer - some bar owners think their customers are generally clueless and sit and wonder why nobody ever drinks there cheesy.gif

Also one last thing to consider, some global companies use something called regonal marketing when they price their goods in a country - a can of coke will cost you over 1 pound in the UK - it is 14baht here whistling.gif

Edited by smedly

As I live outside Pattaya, on the darkside and come in on my motorbike I can only legally drink one beer before driving home again so this practice is trying to turn me into a law breaking drunk driver.

Edited by gmac
  • Like 1

Again two beers for 75 Baht in the heart of Pattaya is good value for money by any standards.

Agreed - its very good value and hard to beat anywhere in Pattaya, at any time of the day.

I can't imagine anyone is getting rich on those margins.