Received A Job Offer - But On 30 Day Visa Waiver Stamp

Hi All,

I've just received a job offer here in Thailand - however, I'm currently on a 30 day entry visa waver stamp - which expires on November 19th (I've just come back into the country as of this Sunday).

My questions are:

1) Will I need to take the letter of offer, and all supporting docs and leave again - applying for a 90 day Non-B business visa at one of the regional Thai Embassy's or consulars? (my employer would then continue as normal with the extension and work-permit application once I return)

2) Or can we simply go to immigration at Chaeng Wattena with all the required docs, and apply for an extension, and then work-permit without having to leave Thailand and apply for a Non-B visa?

If 1) then any suggestions on a cost effective trip to a local consular or Embassy for the Non-B visa would be much appreciated.

Best,

waters

1. apply for the WP now and recieve the WP3 form. You will not get the actual WP untill you have a non-B visa, but the WP3 form will confirm that you are in the process of getting a work permit. It will be very usefull next to the other required documents.

Best is to go to Laos and apply there.

2. Officially it is an option, but you will probably not get the work permit papers intime to apply for the conversion so in all likelyhood will have to do a visa run.

Thanks Mario2008 - understood. In the spirit of 'not creating any ripples or disturbances' - I think going and getting a Non-B will likely be the best bet. My employer can then follow their 'regular' process. :-)

All our foreign employees (6 in the last 2 years) have gone to KL with zero problems. The people at the consulate there are pretty efficient and professional, as long as the paperwork is correct and complete. And KL is a nice town for a couple of days visit.

Vientiane (Laos) is fine but the consulate there can be a bit of a circus and you might end up standing out in the hot sun for a while, waiting to turn in your application.

Edited by fstarbkk