Retirement Extension - Nakhon Sawan

Did my 5th annual retirement extension at Nakhon Sawan Immigration this morning. Arrived at 0925. No appointment necessary, I was the only customer in the office.

In addition to the extension I had a new passport and required that the necessary stamps be transferred to the new passport.

The necessary stamps were transferred, the new extension was grranted until 6 Nov 2013, a new departure card was also inserted since the old one was on it's last legs after 10 years, and a new 90 day report slip inserted. She took care to see that all of the stamps were carefully placed so that only 2 pages of the new passport were used. Even though my 90 day report was not due until next month she said that it was their boss's policy to always "restart" the 90 days when you do a 1 year extension irrespectable of when your next 90 day report date is due since you are reporting your address. I was out by 1005, a total of a very pleasant 45 minutes.

She accepted my "income Affidavit" from the US Embassy which I received last Thursday and said that it needed to be issued within one month of the application. I asked her about further proof of income and she said that at the present time they are accepting the Income affidavit issued by the Embassy without further proof of income for a retirement extensions, but that they do require further proof, in addition to the affidavit, for marriage extensions. She said that they fall under the juristiction of the Chaing Mai office and that was their current direction but could change at any time. She said that Chaing Mai was having "a lot of problems with letters" but didn't elaborate and I didn't want to push my luck by asking more questions.

So I got everything done in 40 minutes for the usual 1900 baht with no hassle and am good for another year. She also gave me a brochure outling the specific mail-in procedures for 90 day reports for the Nakhon Sawan office.

It's nice to have things work correctly once in a while. Hasn't happened very often recently.

Edited by wayned
  • Like 1

I have never had any problems with the Nakhon Sawan office since I started to go there over 2 years ago and the longest I have had to wait was a renewal of my extension which took about 45 minutes.

The staff are pleasant and friendly, several speak good English, though the office is small it is always clean and tidy, air conditioned with water and coffee available, plenty of parking and clean toilets just around the corner.

I find it a pleasure to go there and be dealt with professionally with no hassle.

I will be going next Monday for a 90 day report and to do some shopping.

My statement in the OP, "Hasn't happened very often recently", has nothing to do with the Nakhon Sawan office. It was about life in general over the past few months. I've used Nakhon Sawan since they first opened and they have been professional and helpful evry time that I had to go even during the relocation due to the flood last year..

I have also been In Nakhon Sawan for 10 years but on a non imm O based on marriage.

However I am considering getting a ''marriage extension'' (bound to be pulled up for wrong terminology) that I believed was proof of 400k in a Thai bank, so am concerned you say

''they do require further proof, in addition to the affidavit, for marriage extensions''

as there would be no affidavit just proof of seasoned funds.

I am a Brit who has also lived in NS for 10 years and am thinking of changing from my Non Imm O based on marriage to a marriage extension however your statement

''but that they do require further proof, in addition to the affidavit, for marriage extensions''

concerns me as I understood we just had to show proof of 400k in a Thai bank?

To qualify for a marriage extension (right terminology) you either have to have 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only seasoned for 2 months on application OR 40k baht/month income. My understanding of what she said was that if you use the income method (40k baht/month), they are requiring additional proof in addition to the letter from your embassy. As long as you have the 400k in the bank and a letter from the bank I don't think that they are questioning it, but we did not discuss the specifics of that method of qualifying.

Your best bet is to contact them in advance abd ask them exactly what they require. Telephone: 056-881518

Edited by wayned