Russian Tourist Stabbed Five Times During Attempted Bag Snatch In Jomtien

Rimmer

Russian seriously injured in armed street robbery in Jomtien

bag-3.jpg

PATTAYA:--A 25 year old female Russian Tourist was stabbed a total of 5 times as two men attempted to steal her handbag as she walked back to her Hotel on Jomtien Beach, early on Monday Morning.

Just after 3am, Police and medics were called to Soi Chayapreuk, in front of the Meung Mai Village and met with the victim of the street robbery, Miss Jenniya Nikolina. She had sustained wounds to her arms and was able to communicate with Police despite her limited English Language skills.

As she walked back to her Hotel, two men on a motorbike pulled up beside her. One of them was armed with a long knife. He approached the victim and attempted to cut through the shoulder strap of her bag. The man was able to grab the bag, containing 3,000 Baht in cash, a mobile phone and a digital camera. The man then attempted to snatch her gold necklace from around her neck but she decided to fight back, and in the process was injured by the assailants knife.

Miss Nikolina was rushed to Hospital while Police gathered evidence, including a pair of shoes left by one of the men at the scene as the pair made their escape.

Full story:pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-10-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame the victim. But someone should warn tourists not to wear bling especially late at night.

JT i never expected victim blaming of you tongue.png

I agree with you they should inform tourists about this, but i doubt it will happen because its like admitting there is a problem in the land of smiles.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame the victim. But someone should warn tourists not to wear bling especially late at night.

JT i never expected victim blaming of you tongue.png

I agree with you they should inform tourists about this, but i doubt it will happen because its like admitting there is a problem in the land of smiles.

Only in some parts of the country.

They dont only target women.

I was walking back to my hotel in Pattaya a couple of years back with 3 other people and a guy on a scooter attempted to snatch the chain from around my neck but failed miserably. It's only worth about £40 and it's 14 years old so even if he had managed to get it he wouldnt have benefited from it much.

Call me old fashioned but I don't think any female should be walking home alone at 3am in any country... didn't everyone learn that in college? It's not a problem unique to Thailand, why does everyone try to make it seem like it is.

Maybe if there were Bangkok style taxi meters here as there should be, she would have happily taken a TAXI home.

As you say JT, "Maybe" but I think you would see an increase in other types of crime, i.e. sexual assaults.

I agree with Rionoir's post, whether we accept the fact or not, fact is a woman alone in the early of the morning, in virtually any country in the world is going to be a greater target to some criminal.

You've only got to look at Beach Rd, a single man would be fair game to most criminals there at 3am.

Just need to apply a little common sense.

I do not blame the victim in anyway, but unfortunately these types of crimes have been going on for years, and they'll be going on for years to come as long as there are easy targets about.

• Like 1

My Thai wife was recently a victim of a motor bike bag snatch in Malaysia and it happens in seconds. I had always said if this happens don't fight back & she didn't. Nobody in the street came to our aid. The Malaysian police said it's an increasing problem in the past few years and that tourists have been injured. Here in Pattaya there are obviously bag snatch incidents, as we know also Thai on Thai. Difference is that the Thai's in the street will assist and a few have been chased, caught and beaten by Thai's (at least in the Soi Nernplubwan area).

My wife will not wear gold jewelery in Pattaya, that is visible, in the street or whilst driving her motor bike; day or night.

I don't think I implied that at all. .

Call me old fashioned but I don't think any female should be walking home alone at 3am in any country... didn't everyone learn that in college?

I beg to differ - I think thats exactly what you implied.

All the suggestions you make in the 2nd email are great, but we've still got to: Reclaim the streets !

I'm not a woman, and I've always found Thailand an extremely safe place to walk around at any time of the day or night - I'd like to think that women would feel that same.

true! the lady could have carried all her belongings in her bra and panties. her fault carrying a stupid handbag huh.png

• Like 1

My Thai wife was recently a victim of a motor bike bag snatch in Malaysia and it happens in seconds. I had always said if this happens don't fight back & she didn't. Nobody in the street came to our aid. The Malaysian police said it's an increasing problem in the past few years and that tourists have been injured. Here in Pattaya there are obviously bag snatch incidents, as we know also Thai on Thai. Difference is that the Thai's in the street will assist and a few have been chased, caught and beaten by Thai's (at least in the Soi Nernplubwan area).

My wife will not wear gold jewelery in Pattaya, that is visible, in the street or whilst driving her motor bike; day or night.

You mean it happens in other countries too? Say it ain't so.... you're going to disappoint the "last nail in coffin.." "amazing Thailand" etc. brigade who seems to think it is a Thai only problem rolleyes.gif

Thumbs up for this comment.
  • Like 1

UPDATE

Pattaya Tourist Police lead the hunt for Russian stabbing suspects

PATTAYA:--An emergency meeting of senior officers was held at the Pattaya Tourist Police Station on Monday evening to discuss the case of the Russian woman who was repeatedly stabbed as she walked back to her Hotel in the early hours of Monday on Jomtien Beach.

Two assailants are now being sought by Police and the Tourist Police have taken the lead in the hunt for the two men who need to be caught quickly so they are unable to re-offend. The chairman of the meeting was Police Colonel Prapot, Superintendent of Tourist Police Region 2 who will lead the hunt. The Colonel tells us he is confident the two men will be caught soon.

CCTV images have now been checked and witness statements have been taken but Police have decided not to release any further information to the media at this time in fear of compromising the investigation. The Colonel did confirm to us that the Police are covering medical expenses after the victim initially refused to go to Hospital due to lack of funds

Full story:http://www.pattayaon...bbing-suspects/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-10-22

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

In a ''free' world we should be able to walk the streets wearing what ever we want. The time we stop doing that then we have lost it. LOS holiday destinations bring in a lot of cash, so why not supply more BiB 24/7 on the streets to warn off the scrotes.

In an ideal world, that would be the case transam, unfortunately there's no such thing as an ideal world.

Wearing gold jewellery in Thailand is just the same as hanging a load of 1000bt notes around your neck.

Would you do that? and walk the streets at night.

• Like 1

I had once my phone ripped om my waist belt while waiting to cross second road near big c at 9 pm, so maybe people should also not carry a phone.

I had once my phone ripped om my waist belt while waiting to cross second road near big c at 9 pm, so maybe people should also not carry a phone.

Do you still wear your phone on your waist belt though?

Out of sight, out of reach, comes to mind.

Yes. Let's compound one crime with another. Sheeshhhh ....

Do you know if the BIB and the various Volunteer groups intend to increase patrols during the impending high season. I would have thought that would be common sense, particularly at night.

An Aussie Tourist chief lady in Thailand was a victim of a similar occurence outside her Hotel in Thailand she did not resist as it was very quick & the middle of the day in Phuket.

By the way the knife went into her she died at the scene.

The perps are now in jail with life sentences , obviously this punishment doesn't scare of knife wielding bag snatchers.

Bag snatchers in a car Perth , Australia dragged a female by her bag strap along the road in broad daylight until the strap broke she was very seriously injured & hospitalised for weeks very lucky to be alive. She is in her 70s.

It is an International problem.

Edited by Ohio