Russian Tourist Stabbed Five Times During Attempted Bag Snatch In Jomtien

Rimmer

Call me old fashioned but I don't think any female should be walking home alone at 3am in any country...

No, this is 2012, not 1950. We don't call views like this "old fashioned," that's far too generous. We call them what they are: sexist and indicative of your misogyny and disdain toward women, masquerading as a desire to "protect" women or as "concern" about them. Really, you just want to keep them in what you see as "their place," and deny to them the respect and dignity you show males.It's no surprise that people like you would want to live in (or frequently visit) Thailand, where your antiquated, outdated, sexist views will be not only tolerated, but will no doubt earn you a pat on the back by Thai men, most of whom treat women like they're worth about as much as dog feces. If you spouted off outdated, reactionary views like this in the West, any number of women (and a few men) would tear you a new one, and rightly so.

A totally unfounded attack on a person merely expressing concern for the safety of females walking around alone in Pattaya at 3am.

I'm not old-fashioned or sexist, but I certainly would not want my wife to be walking around Pattaya alone at 3am.

Obviously there are safe places for early morning strolls, but Pattaya is not one of them.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

Call me old fashioned but I don't think any female should be walking home alone at 3am in any country...

No, this is 2012, not 1950. We don't call views like this "old fashioned," that's far too generous. We call them what they are: sexist and indicative of your misogyny and disdain toward women, masquerading as a desire to "protect" women or as "concern" about them. Really, you just want to keep them in what you see as "their place," and deny to them the respect and dignity you show males.It's no surprise that people like you would want to live in (or frequently visit) Thailand, where your antiquated, outdated, sexist views will be not only tolerated, but will no doubt earn you a pat on the back by Thai men, most of whom treat women like they're worth about as much as dog feces. If you spouted off outdated, reactionary views like this in the West, any number of women (and a few men) would tear you a new one, and rightly so.

A completely opinionated, twisted & cynical PC response.

..and that is being kind.

Whatever the equal rights brigade says, (and yes, I had to fight like a cat-bitch to get jobs over my male colleagues who weren't as good as me but they had a willy and I didn't, so I'm no anti-feminist), no woman should be walking around streets in a town unknown to her, wherever she may be in the world at 3am

​I don't get your point. "Equal rights brigade"? If you were referring to jobs, where you had to fight like a "cat-bitch" against the guys who HAD (what happened to them?) a willy? So you're no anti- feminist? Females do get a job here much easier. if it's not the position of a Sumo Ringer.

As for it being a communist country, better that IMHO than a country rife with insiduous corruption from top to bottom.

LOL... yes, that's how it starts. Take away your personal rights in the name of safety.

It makes me wonder why people so enamoured by Vietnam will read and post in a Pattaya forum.

• Like 1

Of topic posts removed.

This is Pattaya News Clippings Forum discussing a Russian lady who was stabbed walking home one night, it is not a Vietnam tourist promotion forum or topic.

I liked your point, but I can see how it may have been misunderstood. Just as you may have misunderstood the intentions of others. If it was my own sister or brother, I'd advise them not to walk on certain streets I know are dangerous at night.

Edited by Chads

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame the victim. But someone should warn tourists not to wear bling especially late at night.

I had once my phone ripped om my waist belt while waiting to cross second road near big c at 9 pm, so maybe people should also not carry a phone.

I guess in the end we should all not carry anything and not wear anything to show that we didn't hide anything sad.png

I'm just wondering what sort of person walks around the streets of any tourist town at 3am carrying anything worth stealing?

If I was walking around Jomtien at 3am I would have at best 200Baht in my pocket. No phone, no credit card, no bling, no expensive clothes. And if I was a woman I just wouldn't be walking around alone at all. Even as a man I would think twice about wandering down a soi like that one alone.

Another sad incident in the LOS............as already stated this a problem throughout the world. Maybe police can obtain DNA from the suspects shoe left behind at the scene!!! This is certainly there to be solved. When solved throw the book at these 2 scumbags. I just wish the young lady a speedily recovery and hopefully this and other incidents continue to receive coverage by the media both here in Thailand and elsewhere.

Some would suggest that we do not carry anything with us, and Im all for that, just walk around naked! How do you buy something from the store and carry it back with you, if you dont have a bag? When you only have shorts and t-shirt, where do you carry your cell phone?

I'll try to make it easier for you and respond to all three issues, one at a time:

1)Walking around naked may make you more of a victim.

2)Try shopping during daytime hours.

3)Buy shorts with pockets.

3)

What do suggest - some sort of half-assed curfew ?

I don't think I implied that at all. How about not walking alone at 3am? Be aware of your surroundings. If a motorbike is approaching you while you're walking, face them, let them know you see them coming, back away from the street... follow a well-populated path... follow a path that has an escape route... I mean these are all common sense things that one should do in any country in any city while walking alone at 3am, aren't they?

Furthermore, don't carry a giant purse with you... carry a clutch, and keep your cellphone and a few bucks in your pocket in case your purse is stolen.

There's like a million ways to avoid being the target of a crime, and minimize the potential damage done if a crime does happen to occur.

F.Y.I

I agree..I can suggest a fanny pack waist worn can be purchased from Navy supplies atop of the Buddha hill, wear it under a shirt, I have modified mine with a 4"stainless steel fish leader attachment to wallet so won't leave my person. The size is perfect for extra change.. many zipper compartments for emergencies..Tea Tree oil, bandages, mini-diode pocket light, emergency note if injured along with photo copy passport, I have sew in a leather pocket folding knife, it also has a front pocket for cell phone. Have taken the time to contact cement the thin fabric with pig-skin leather giving it a custom look and improving the wear-out limit.

I have long since taken off anything of value around my neck...I do suggest tourist should be aware of crime by postings in Russian/German/French/ and English on all the mini-buses traveling around Pattaya, the sponsors can advertise a day course in self defense in Mua Thai..an example FairTex sports club which I belong.

Thanks for allowing me to give my input on this problem..again traveling at night alone is an open invitation to being a victim of crime

Rotor Ron (Canadian)

I don't think I implied that at all. How about not walking alone at 3am? Be aware of your surroundings. If a motorbike is approaching you while you're walking, face them, let them know you see them coming, back away from the street... follow a well-populated path... follow a path that has an escape route... I mean these are all common sense things that one should do in any country in any city while walking alone at 3am, aren't they?

Furthermore, don't carry a giant purse with you... carry a clutch, and keep your cellphone and a few bucks in your pocket in case your purse is stolen.

There's like a million ways to avoid being the target of a crime, and minimize the potential damage done if a crime does happen to occur.

F.Y.I

I agree..I can suggest a fanny pack waist worn can be purchased from Navy supplies atop of the Buddha hill, wear it under a shirt, I have modified mine with a 4"stainless steel fish leader attachment to wallet so won't leave my person. The size is perfect for extra change.. many zipper compartments for emergencies..Tea Tree oil, bandages, mini-diode pocket light, emergency note if injured along with photo copy passport, I have sew in a leather pocket folding knife, it also has a front pocket for cell phone. Have taken the time to contact cement the thin fabric with pig-skin leather giving it a custom look and improving the wear-out limit.

I have long since taken off anything of value around my neck...I do suggest tourist should be aware of crime by postings in Russian/German/French/ and English on all the mini-buses traveling around Pattaya, the sponsors can advertise a day course in self defense in Mua Thai..an example FairTex sports club which I belong.

Thanks for allowing me to give my input on this problem..again traveling at night alone is an open invitation to being a victim of crime

Rotor Ron (Canadian)

Rotor Ron, this has to be a wind-up, right?? Do you actually go to these extremes? If the above is not a wind-up, I think you may be suffering from some kind of disorder which needs treatment!!

I think applying a little common sense, and not putting oneself in a position to become an easy target, like walking around at 3am alone, in a city which is not your home (or any city for that matter) will suffice. Why do you feel the need to be carrying nigh on the same equipment as a Royal Marine would take into combat?

4" stainless steel leader?? Tea tree oil?? Bandages???? Pocket light?? Emergency note????? Folding knife????? Pig skin leather to give it a custom look (that can't be seen by anyone thumbsup.gif) and improving the wear-out limit??cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Please tell me this is just Canadian humour, and that there isn't someone out there like a real life Robocoptongue.png

F.Y.I

Rotor Ron (Canadian)

Rotor Ron, this has to be a wind-up, right?? Do you actually go to these extremes? If the above is not a wind-up, I think you may be suffering from some kind of disorder which needs treatment!!

I think applying a little common sense, and not putting oneself in a position to become an easy target, like walking around at 3am alone, in a city which is not your home (or any city for that matter) will suffice. Why do you feel the need to be carrying nigh on the same equipment as a Royal Marine would take into combat?

4" stainless steel leader?? Tea tree oil?? Bandages???? Pocket light?? Emergency note????? Folding knife????? Pig skin leather to give it a custom look (that can't be seen by anyone thumbsup.gif) and improving the wear-out limit??cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Please tell me this is just Canadian humour, and that there isn't someone out there like a real life Robocoptongue.png

I agree with you that walking around at 3AM in any city is risky business, but the rest of your post is a poor attempt to poke fun (the smileys weren't helping - even the animated ones) at a person who is prepared for eventualities and desires to be self-sufficient. What he carries does not strike me as extreme. IMHO, it doesn't get extreme until one is carrying a concealed weapon.

I would bet that you don't have the foggiest idea what a Royal Marine really takes into combat. I would also bet that individual Royal Marines augment the minimal equipment list with personal items as well.

A major Thai airline ( a Thai national) pilot friend of mine keeps semi-automatic pistols (and who knows what other firearms) at home and his latest thing was selecting a laser sight for one of his pistols. I would bet that he carries a firearm in his SUV as well.

Does he know something we farangs don't (the ones that haven't been mugged yet) or is he just a little paranoid? I would bet on the former.

Edited by MaxYakov

Don't forget that we are shacking up with their women.

In their mindset, that's an offence.

Not at all. Many are quite happy for you to shack up with their women as long as you're paying their bills.

.. this is really off topic though. The victim in this incident was a female Russian tourist.

I agree with you that walking around at 3AM in any city is risky business, but the rest of your post is a poor attempt to poke fun (the smileys weren't helping - even the animated ones) at a person who is prepared for eventualities and desires to be self-sufficient. What he carries does not strike me as extreme. IMHO, it doesn't get extreme until one is carrying a concealed weapon.

I would bet that you don't have the foggiest idea what a Royal Marine really takes into combat. I would also bet that individual Royal Marines augment the minimal equipment list with personal items as well.

A major Thai airline ( a Thai national) pilot friend of mine keeps semi-automatic pistols (and who knows what other firearms) at home and his latest thing was selecting a laser sight for one of his pistols. I would bet that he carries a firearm in his SUV as well.

Does he know something we farangs don't (the ones that haven't been mugged yet) or is he just a little paranoid? I would bet on the former.

I disagree. Rotorbreeze is going to extreme measures bordering on paranoia. Extreme measures could be necessary for people who like to display wealth. For the rest of us basic precautions should suffice. If I had to go to those levels to feel safe here I would leave on the next plane.

Edited by tropo

Walked back from Chayapreuk to Royal Thai Pavillion (soi 16) myself at 1am that night. Seemed safe area to me* and a welcome respite from the bollux in Pattaya. How wrong can you be - bang goes another venue that I thought was a family location.

Must be great pickings watching the tourists pile off the songthaews, most of which go no further than Chayapreuk without a separately negotiated taxi fare. Maybe more tourists would pay the extra if warnings were posted in hotels beyond that road. Nah - that's what properly organised and policed tourist resorts would do.

* Correction safeish - a couple of ladyboys attempting a pull did not look like the 'fun' variety at all and I know how dangerous street lady boys can be from all the postings in TV.

the problem is lack of effective policing which makes all of pattaya jomtien a dangerous place to walk alone late at night or early in the morning when there are less people around - that is the truth of the matter, I'm not blaming this lady for what happened but two obvious things she did wrong - the above and also fighting back, she's very lucky to be alive and obviously doesn't read too much news about this area and crime and Thailand in general, all cities in the world have dangerous zones were tourists should not go but unfortunately this whole country is a danger area were caution should be abserved at all times

Not extreme?? Would you carry all that gear with you on going for a meal, night out, shopping, or through an airport, all things normal people do on holiday, and during everyday life?

If carrying a concealed knife is not the same as carrying a concealed weapon, please give me your definition of what it is.

I suggest I would have the, " foggiest" what a Royal Marine carries, but that is off topic and rather a long story to bore you with on here.

As far as your Thai pilot friend having a firearm, and as anyone who's been here any amount of time, not just hanging about bars will know, there are thousands of Thai's who own firearms legally. The criteria required for this is surprisingly lax and quite easy to meet, and I have (and still do) known several people who own their own firearm.

Why anybody would want a laser sight for a pistol is another question, as pistols are primarily for close quarter encounters.

I won't take you up on the couple of bet offers, as one, it's illegal here, and two, most of these bets that go on are from the comfort of a bar stool.

I disagree. Rotorbreeze is going to extreme measures bordering on paranoia. Extreme measures could be necessary for people who like to display wealth. For the rest of us basic precautions should suffice. If I had to go to those levels to feel safe here I would leave on the next plane.

Rotor breeze's 'extreme measures' (bordering on paranoia?):

1) Fanny pack waist ... wear it under a shirt ... modified mine with a 4"stainless steel fish leader attachment to wallet so won't leave my person.

2) Tea Tree oil, bandages, mini-diode pocket light

3) Emergency note if injured along with photo copy passport

4) Sewn in a leather pocket folding knife

5) Fanny pack front pocket for cell phone

6) Have taken the time to contact cement the thin fabric

with pig-skin leather giving it a custom look and improving the wear-out limit.

7) Taken off anything of value around my neck..

8) I do suggest tourist should be aware of crime by postings in Russian/German/French/ and English on all the mini-buses traveling around Pattaya, the sponsors can advertise a day course in self defense in Mua Thai..an example FairTex sports club which I belong.

Real 'extreme measures':

1) Fanny pack containing a Glock 26 (full clip installed, round not in chamber for safety). Spare clip is optional.

2) Triage medical kit, including a tourniquet and compact body bag labeled with instructions for contacting relatives and shipping one's body home.

3) 6 inch (minmium) combat knife in a calf sheath.

4) Mace in either left or right front pocket (depending on preference to spraying hand)

5) Original passport (not copy) as ultimate proof of one's legality in Thailand.

6) As much bling as your body can carry. Rolex is required (real or fake, optional).

7) A total lack of situational awareness (being drunk is optional, but may help).

8) A complete ignorance of Thai scams, mugging/theft MOs, etc.

Let's see ... I probably omitted something ... Oh, yes. Planes depart regularly for international destinations. I would not recommend London or Chicago and a couple of hundred other destinations (if not more).

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame the victim. But someone should warn tourists not to wear bling especially late at night.

true! the lady could have carried all her belongings in her bra and panties. her fault carrying a stupid handbag huh.png

Rather bad photograph, I know, but she may just have done as you say

In Pattaya I have never had a problem, never used to think about it.

However, now if I am going out on the lash i take an 800 Baht Nokia and have my iPhone set up to call forward to the Nokias number whilst the iPhone is safely in my condo, that way if I lose it, it don't really matter, I started doing this after I got drunk and lost my Samsung Galaxy S2.

Money is kept in various pockets and I dont carry a wallet if I am going on the Pish. I now do this after my wallet was lost on a bender.

I have been approached by motorcycles at night when walking home drunk, but I found something that puts them off, before they get to you start throwing your arms around and shouting to yourself like a total lunatic, nobody fcuks with a nutter.

:)

Edited by Banzai99
  • Like 1

Not extreme?? Would you carry all that gear with you on going for a meal, night out, shopping, or through an airport, all things normal people do on holiday, and during everyday life?

If carrying a concealed knife is not the same as carrying a concealed weapon, please give me your definition of what it is.

I suggest I would have the, " foggiest" what a Royal Marine carries, but that is off topic and rather a long story to bore you with on here.

As far as your Thai pilot friend having a firearm, and as anyone who's been here any amount of time, not just hanging about bars will know, there are thousands of Thai's who own firearms legally. The criteria required for this is surprisingly lax and quite easy to meet, and I have (and still do) known several people who own their own firearm.

Why anybody would want a laser sight for a pistol is another question, as pistols are primarily for close quarter encounters.

I won't take you up on the couple of bet offers, as one, it's illegal here, and two, most of these bets that go on are from the comfort of a bar stool.

Thanks much for the reply. I live here and I carry even more than rotorbreeze for reasons of self-sufficiency and convenience. This includes a [concealed] folding multi-purpose pocket knife that I bought at a 7-11 and two spoons and a fork (because I don't like the tinny utensils that are often supplied by restaurants (street or otherwise).

The knife has a 2 1/4 inch blade and could be used as a weapon, but people have been killed with box cutters, too. I carry it in a way that it would be very difficult to access in a hurry (buried deep in a fanny pack with my table utensils). I'd say the definition of a 'concealed weapon' would depend on opinion of the investigating/arresting LE authority. My definition is irrelevant.

I carry a copy of my passport ID and visa pages, although I've never been asked for identification in 3 1/2 years here, but it could happen, dude. Carrying a passport around would be, in my view, extreme. Other 'extreme' items I carry are a concealed, 1000 baht MP3 Player, toothbrush, tooth paste, pencils, blank paper, tissue, disposable razor, tweezers, tape measure. All of these items have come in very handy at one time or another. I also often carry a Panasonic DMC-ZS3 camera and sometimes a Canon SX 120 IS. The Panasonic is small and fairly stealthy, but the Canon could be a real temptation for the bad guys so I don't carry it often.

Yeah, don't bore us with your ideas of the Royal Marine's combat gear. Maybe this will do it (with the help of Wiki):

http://en.wikipedia....i/Royal_Marines

As far as my pilot friend goes. His father received death threats after reporting and resisting corruption in his company (kickbacks). Maybe that has something to do with his affinity for guns. He also lived in the US during high school. Maybe this has even more to do with it.

I'm aware that owning firearms legally is an [expensive] possibility.

I don't do bars, bar stools or betting (legal or not) very often, but I get the distinct impression that you believe there is a close correlation between legality and reality in Thailand.

Edited by MaxYakov

Sorry Tropo - far too naive IMO. Do you think I should feel safe walking along there again (I walked there two hours before the incident). I did not wear bling and I took most of money out before I went off to watch the football. I had an entirely affordable loss of 3,000 baht left in my wallet and a slightly positive outlook on life from a few bottles of beer (ie guard down). However I had an entirely unaffordable loss of life with me too.

You reckon I should rely on a knifed-up guy waiting for a really obvious hit? It doesn't take much of a stretch for such a character to take on any passing single guy who is not 25 and of Muay Thai build.

Don't go walking alone anywhere in a quiet area where tourists might be late at night. Or get on the plane mate!

I thought Jomtien was the safe part of the Pattaya conurbation. I don't expect to take my family back to that part of the town again.

Edited by SantiSuk

Sorry Tropo - far too naive IMO. Do you think I should feel safe walking along there again (I walked there two hours before the incident). I did not wear bling and I took most of money out before I went off to watch the football. I had an entirely affordable loss of 3,000 baht left in my wallet and a slightly positive outlook on life from a few bottles of beer (ie guard down). However I had an entirely unaffordable loss of life with me too.

You reckon I should rely on a knifed-up guy waiting for a really obvious hit? It doesn't take much of a stretch for such a character to take on any passing single guy who is not 25 and of Muay Thai build.

Don't go walking alone anywhere in a quiet area where tourists might be late at night. Or get on the plane mate!

I thought Jomtien was the safe part of the Pattaya conurbation. I don't expect to take my family back to that part of the town again.

Soooooo, a perspective robber KNOWS whats in your pocket ?

Farang, millionaire don't you know. Good bet. Not all the time, but good bet. sad.png

1) Fanny pack waist ... wear it under a shirt ... modified mine with a 4"stainless steel fish leader attachment to wallet so won't leave my person.

8) I do suggest tourist should be aware of crime by postings in Russian/German/French/ and English on all the mini-buses traveling around Pattaya, the sponsors can advertise a day course in self defense in Mua Thai..an example FairTex sports club which I belong.

Real 'extreme measures':

1) Fanny pack containing a Glock 26 (full clip installed, round not in chamber for safety). Spare clip is optional.

2) Triage medical kit, including a tourniquet and compact body bag labeled with instructions for contacting relatives and shipping one's body home.

4) Mace in either left or right front pocket (depending on preference to spraying hand)

5) Original passport (not copy) as ultimate proof of one's legality in Thailand.

6) As much bling as your body can carry. Rolex is required (real or fake, optional).

7) A total lack of situational awareness (being drunk is optional, but may help).

Let's see ... I probably omitted something ... Oh, yes. Planes depart regularly for international destinations. I would not recommend London or Chicago and a couple of hundred other destinations (if not more).

There are always more extreme measures, but as far as I'm concerned Rotorbreeze is paranoid and extreme. You must be too.

BTW, thanks for the information on international flights.

Edited by tropo

Real 'extreme measures':

There are always more extreme measures, but as far as I'm concerned Rotorbreeze is paranoid and extreme. You must be too.

BTW, thanks for the information on international flights.

I don't know why you think its extreme ?. I carry all the above plus an emergency tin foil hat just in case.

I don't know why you think its extreme ?.

Well obviously you wouldn't consider it extreme if you're one of these paranoid types, would you?

I go out with a wallet containing very little cash and no important credit cards, keys, cheap watch and cheap cell phone. I don't drink so I'm always alert. That's it.

I have no sympathy for idiots who get drunk and walk (or stumble along) the streets at night.

• Like 1

I don't know why you think its extreme ?.

Well obviously you wouldn't consider it extreme if you're one of these paranoid types, would you?

I go out with a wallet containing very little cash and no important credit cards, keys, cheap watch and cheap cell phone. I don't drink so I'm always alert. That's it.

I have no sympathy for idiots who get drunk and walk (or stumble along) the streets at night.

How did you miss my tin foil hat comment ? Maybe you are wearing one and it went straight over your head ;)