Will You Be Buying An Ipad Mini?

LDNBKK86

Last night Apple announced the long awaited iPad Mini. No surprises regarding features.

Prices as follows,

Wifi Only

16GB: $329

32GB: $429

64GB: $528

Wifi + 4G

16GB: $459

32GB: $559

64GB: $659

Rumours were circulating that it would start at $240 and they would target the low cost tablet market. The Google Nexus 7 currently retails at $199 and with a 4G model on the horizon mostly likely priced around the same level, will consumers dig a little deeper for the iPad Mini? .....of course they will.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will buy an iPad Mini as soon as I can...my old wifi iPad 2 (which I got free) got hijacked by a very close friend (as I was looking for something smaller anyway)...

my Samsung Galaxy Tab7.7 inch is OK (for a transition / interim device), but the Android OS and interface is really clunky/awkward (when compared to Apple iOS for iPad or even compared to my Galaxy Note2 --which I like)

I played around with a Google Nexus 7 (for sale at Baht9000+) at Pantip (top floor).;..that operating system and interface (more "pure" Android -Jelly Bean) seems a bit better, but Apple system still beats it hands down..maybe next gens KeyLimePie or later LemonPie (or another "L" dessert) will be better for Android...which is like the Borg constantly assimilating Apple tech (but in a clunky way)...

the Apple apps and system (in a smaller than full-sized iPad for work stuff on the go) would be a perfect marriage of form and function for me...

• Like 1

Purchased the Google Nexus 7 when it was released for 199 USD and have been pleased with it. Had I known a 32GB version would be released a couple months later at comparable price would've held out, that said - it's fast and efficient with most apps. (There were a couple more obscure android apps intended for smartphones that didn't translate as well to the tablet - tried and removed them). You can access apps tweaked for the device through google play or utilize the amazon android app store. I'm not a 'watch movies on a laptop/phone' guy, but was in a position last night where I needed to kill time - watched 'the town,' and 'bladerunner' back to back and the resolution was fantastic. Still had battery left to go into evernote and do some work. I still can't type as fast on ANY tablet as I can on a laptop. So be it.

Ps. Nothing against the iPad mini, the machine I use most is a MacBook Air. Just need to diversify a little as an amateur layman. Now to replace xp with ubuntu on the old lapop and the trifecta will be complete. :)

Well compared with a Nexus 7 at the same storage space, it's only $80 more.

I have to say the specs are crazy, especially that it's super light and only 6mm thick! I can't really imagine such a large device so thin, to be honest - this is going to be a greeting from the future.

I think it will sell really well, especially in Asia. And yes it's not priced for the bargain basement, nor does it look like it. You can argue tech specs all you want. But put the - pretty decent looking - Nexus 7 next to an iPad mini and it will be immediately obvious why one costs more. It's obvious from the pictures already, in real life will be even more so.

I am searching for reasons I have to buy one... unfortunately there's already 3 iPads in the family...

Let me venture a guess - will be between 10 and 11k baht. Thai prices are pretty much the same as US prices, just add 7% VAT.

PS: As for prices: The Nexus 7 is neat (played with a friend's) but it's more like a tech demo. For $200, I'd maybe just get one. For $300 - most certainly not, so the Thai prices are a bit of a joke here. The Nexus' biggest feature, by far, is its low price. Take that away and there is no reason to get one.

Also keep in mind that the $199 Nexus 7 has only 8GB of RAM. If you want to match the iPad mini, you need to get the $250 version with 16GB.

I think I'll probably get a mini...

Edited by nikster

It will have LTE, 3g... but will it be able to receive calls and sms like the 7 in. Samsung tablets?

If by that you mean traditional GSM voice services, then no.

Obviously it can connect to GSM data networks (GPRS/EDGE), along with 3G/LTE (assuming you opt for that version), and utilize VoIP/IP messaging apps.

The WiFi-only 16 GB miniPAd might be closer to 11,500 here.

I think Apple has packaged/positioned/priced the miniPad relative to the maxiPad, rather than the competition? Many people might want a maxiPad but can't afford it. Also at 7.85" is has a leg up on the 7" tablets.

Edited by lomatopo

Well compared with a Nexus 7 at the same storage space, it's only $80 more.

How did you count that ?

The iPad mini in 16GB is $329

The Nexus 7 in 16G is right now 219-229$ in many big stores (iMini is 50% more)

and its price is falling fast with the 32G model announced for October 29 at old 16G price $249

In one week you will compare the 32G models

priced $249 for Nexus 7 and... $429 for iMini !! +72% !

I think Apple are killing the goose the lays the golden egg with these half-arsed attempts to keep up with the competition.

And apparently they haven't even included GPS in the Mini Wifi version.

Whoops we all know how good they are at mapping after all.

I think Apple are killing the goose the lays the golden egg with these half-arsed attempts to keep up with the competition.

Apple never includes GPS on Wifi models. GPS module comes with 3G module, and it is much much better and accurate than other standalone GPS solutions.

I went for the Ainol Novo 7 Flame/Fire earlier this month.

I'm an Apple fanatic but this little puppy wipes the floor with most 7" tablets...

720p IPS HD screen vs mini's old school 1024 x

Storage easily expanded....on and on....their native Android software is not as robust but 95% there on stability with the community Android ROM mod forum free ROMs...

Yes, for gorgeous GUI Apple wins, but not for a good few other specs..I tip my hat to a 7" Chinese tab that punches way above its weight....all for less than 7k Baht if you know where to source it.....surprisingly good for FPS games as well with the Mali GPU tucked inside....and plays MKV 720p films smoothly without overheating the unit with hardware decoding of films boosting the battery life.

Edited by freedomnow

I'm an Apple fanatic but this little puppy wipes the floor with most 7" tablets...

That's the one I've been looking at for a while now but hesitant to order from a Chinese online store. Mind telling where you ordered it from?

Storage easily expanded....on and on....their native Android software is not as robust but 95% there on stability with the community Android ROM mod forum free ROMs...

Yes, for gorgeous GUI Apple wins, but not for a good few other specs..I tip my hat to a 7" Chinese tab that punches way above its weight....all for less than 7k Baht if you know where to source it.....surprisingly good for FPS games as well with the Mali GPU tucked inside....and plays MKV 720p films smoothly without overheating the unit with hardware decoding of films boosting the battery life.

You managed to buy a Chinese knock-off tablet for more than it costs to buy a Nexus 7???

:cheesy:

You managed to buy a Chinese knock-off tablet for more than it costs to buy a Nexus 7???

To be fair, the above is a 16GB version. The 16GB Nexus 7 costs 9,900 - 10,500 Baht in Thailand.

Apple never includes GPS on Wifi models. GPS module comes with 3G module, and it is much much better and accurate than other standalone GPS solutions.

That's crap, I've walked side by side with an SII and a 4S and the SII was by far the more accurate of the two.

But I'm talking about having GPS on the Wifi version. In this day and age it's an absurd omission considering the minimal hardware that's required.