Will You Be Buying An Ipad Mini?

LDNBKK86

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the iPad on the Thai Apple store the 4?

Not sure. I've been trying to get an answer to that question for a while, in Thai forums, and I haven't been able to get a repeatable answer. I'll just wait until I return to the U.S. next month and buy it there as I know it will be a new new iPad. Cheaper too.

Been using the Mini a week now.

Yes the screen is no where near as good as Retina, But better than ipad 2.

The form factor and weight is so right. The ipad 3 is collecting dust now as its just easier to hold and carry about and relax on the sofa with.

I am willing to accept the screen compromise but from now on I will be sticking with the Mini format over the larger one.

• Like 1

Ipad Mini ?

Steve Jobs must be turning in his grave...

in his vision, didn't he rule out smaller versions of the ipad for Apple a couple of years ago? calling them "DOA" ?

Well, he also called tablets DOA in 2003. Said people will always want a keyboard...

So how many weeks until they launch ipad mini2 ? Gotta admire their efficiency in milking the cow. Or perhaps it's iphone max, the samsung note copy next ?

Do you prefer a company that doesn't update products?

I guess he thinks the only one doing this is Apple. How wrong that is. Every computer maker and tablet maker does the same it only really gets commented on when it is Apple though. Rough being at the top of the game aint it. I'll stick with my Apple products. And yes I will sell my Ipad 3 with wifi and 4g and get the little one. It will fit in my bike bag better. Peace all!

Been using the Mini a week now.

Yes the screen is no where near as good as Retina, But better than ipad 2.

The form factor and weight is so right. The ipad 3 is collecting dust now as its just easier to hold and carry about and relax on the sofa with.

I am willing to accept the screen compromise but from now on I will be sticking with the Mini format over the larger one.

thanks! Im waiting for mine now from Apple Thailand (on the web)...got the cover this morning..size is perfect!...liked my iPad 2, but believe I will luv my iPad Mini (and I am practically giving away my Galaxy Tab 7.7 to a friend)..

Ipad Mini ?

in his vision, didn't he rule out smaller versions of the ipad for Apple a couple of years ago? calling them "DOA" ?

Well, he also called tablets DOA in 2003. Said people will always want a keyboard...

Why this obsession with Apple products from the haters? I don't get it. Get a life people.

And at the very least, if you've got to be snarky, get the facts straight. Jobs said 7" is too small. He did not say 7.9" is too small (it's something like 45% more screen real estate than 7"). This was highlighted by the CEO and the CMO at the mini's introduction. Sigh.

Tablets were DOA in 2003. Bill gates was talking up tablets since 2000. But the first company to actually make a tablet that was any good was Apple. In 2010. And, as it turned out in the court case against Samsung, Apple's had tablet prototypes in their labs for 20 years. They just didn't want to release a shit product, so they waited until the tech was there to make the thing good enough.

Ipad Mini ?

Why this obsession with Apple products from the haters? I don't get it. Get a life people.

And at the very least, if you've got to be snarky, get the facts straight. Jobs said 7" is too small. He did not say 7.9" is too small (it's something like 45% more screen real estate than 7"). This was highlighted by the CEO and the CMO at the mini's introduction. Sigh.

Sez the man who's elevated snarky to new levels with dozens of comments in Android threads here over the years.biggrin.png

Perhaps you will heed thine own advice, re: getting a life? whistling.gif

Of course Jobs commented famously on any tablets smaller than the then current iPad - at the time most/all were 7" and Samsung had yet to introduce their 7.7" and 8.9" models. I suspect if analysts had asked Jobs about 8 " tablets he would have made the exact same snarky comemnts.

Lol, that's pretty rich coming from an Apple fan. You're probably the most vocal crowd of the lot, presenting a rabid defence of anything criticising Apple(hallowed are the iOri) while also participating heavily in Android hate threads.

Apple people in Apple threads remind me of dogs marking their territory - they run around making sure to spray every negative comment even if they've nothing constructive to add.

But they're such an easy target for amusement for this very reason, of 'not getting it'. See it's not Apple products per se. Only an idiot would say they don't make nice products (and mean it). In fact I'd probably have an iPhone by now if they had a MicroSD slot (and perhaps a way of getting rid of that horrid '4x4' (or now 4x5) home screen).

No, not Apple products. They do provide a source of amusement when they completely screw things up (e.g. "You're holding it wrong". "Sorry about the maps". Etc) but mostly, it's most of the Apple USERS (who participate in forums) that are the source of maximum amusement.

Uhhhh mudslinging. How interesting guys. Got anything else?

Ipad Mini ?

Sez the man who's elevated snarky to new levels with dozens of comments in Android threads here over the years.biggrin.png

Perhaps you will heed thine own advice, re: getting a life? whistling.gif

Meh. It's not all that interesting but out of 7,000+ comments over the years, I got a dozen on Android?! Most of these probably in the Apple forums, no less. So if you were right, then you'd still be wrong.

However, you're mistaken in implying that I am some sort of Apple fan in any way other than enjoying the products quite a bit. I don't buy by brand, only by merit. The badge does not matter to me. That means it's not exclusive by any means. I don't actually think Android is bad. To the contrary, Android has quite a few things going for it - a kick ass engineering team, Java, etc. Android was the fastest to adapt to the challenge presented by the iPhone, it only took them 3 years to catch up, not 5 as Steve Jobs thought. And now they've caught up and are hot competition. It's great.

I actually think the haters are a great compliment - it's products that create strong emotional responses that matter - some people will irrationally love their Apple products just like they irrationally love their cars. Others will irrationally hate the products and/or company for that. Irrational because they're still just things.

Look at Windows Phone. Nobody hates it, nobody loves it - no one really cares. Android has its online fan base but a lot of it is defined by its rejection of something else (Apple) rather than by its own merit. Mirroring the product, I suppose.

In reality the vast majority of Android users, and that's my guess, does not care about that in the least. They just want a nice cheap phone, Android provides that, and they're happy. If I was getting a BHT 5k - 10k phone, you bet it'd be an Android phone. They're easily the best value in that price range.

• Like 1

I actually think the haters are a great compliment -

So why snarkily insult the haters with statements like:

You appear to be conflicted?

Edited by lomatopo

• 4 weeks later...

bought one on a whim and i love it.

after a week of owning it i realised i hadn't picked up my ipad 3 at all.

so, the two large ipads i own have switched ownership - the "3" has gone to the missus and her "2" has gone to the kids.

everyone's happy.

Yeah the mini is perfect. I would like a retina screen on it but the size and weight is just so great. It makes a big difference. And it's cheaper than the others, too. I recommend the mini to any first time iPad buyers.

• Like 2

Yeah the mini is perfect. I would like a retina screen on it but the size and weight is just so great. It makes a big difference. And it's cheaper than the others, too. I recommend the mini to any first time iPad buyers.

yep agree 100%...it is the perfect size. The screen doesn't feel too small or cramped at all. And better yet, it's so light and portable that I can bring it with me most of the time. Before this I was thinking of switching over to an android phone to get a bigger screen so that I can read comfortably and never thought of getting the full sized ipad as it always seemed big, esp one-handed , standing in the train. We have the galaxy tab 7" at work and the screen is not as nice and does feel a bit small, but is ok. IMO, the 7.7, 7.9, 8 inch screen sizes are the sweet spot.

Meh. It's not all that interesting but out of 7,000+ comments over the years, I got a dozen on Android?! Most of these probably in the Apple forums, no less. So if you were right, then you'd still be wrong.

However, you're mistaken in implying that I am some sort of Apple fan in any way other than enjoying the products quite a bit. I don't buy by brand, only by merit. The badge does not matter to me. That means it's not exclusive by any means. I don't actually think Android is bad. To the contrary, Android has quite a few things going for it - a kick ass engineering team, Java, etc. Android was the fastest to adapt to the challenge presented by the iPhone, it only took them 3 years to catch up, not 5 as Steve Jobs thought. And now they've caught up and are hot competition. It's great.

I actually think the haters are a great compliment - it's products that create strong emotional responses that matter - some people will irrationally love their Apple products just like they irrationally love their cars. Others will irrationally hate the products and/or company for that. Irrational because they're still just things.

Look at Windows Phone. Nobody hates it, nobody loves it - no one really cares. Android has its online fan base but a lot of it is defined by its rejection of something else (Apple) rather than by its own merit. Mirroring the product, I suppose.

In reality the vast majority of Android users, and that's my guess, does not care about that in the least. They just want a nice cheap phone, Android provides that, and they're happy. If I was getting a BHT 5k - 10k phone, you bet it'd be an Android phone. They're easily the best value in that price range.

If you want irrational I can give you irrational, Apple drives me to distraction with minor irritations within their products but I still use an imac, an iphone, my wife uses an ipad and I will almost certainly be buying an ipad mini in the next week or so! It's a love-hate relationship for me.

yep agree 100%...it is the perfect size. The screen doesn't feel too small or cramped at all. And better yet, it's so light and portable that I can bring it with me most of the time. Before this I was thinking of switching over to an android phone to get a bigger screen so that I can read comfortably and never thought of getting the full sized ipad as it always seemed big, esp one-handed , standing in the train. We have the galaxy tab 7" at work and the screen is not as nice and does feel a bit small, but is ok. IMO, the 7.7, 7.9, 8 inch screen sizes are the sweet spot.

How often does it happen that something that's better is also cheaper? The mini is a no-brainer at the moment.

And I do feel like people are going to buy the mini for the same reasons they want to have a phablet phone - I think this is actually Apple's competition to the Galaxy Note. You can't put it in your front pocket, but the same is true for the note. And like the note, it fits in any purse.

• Like 1

With grey imports you can be pretty sure you'll get one... for a price... I don't think it makes a lot of sense as the price is one of the things that makes the mini great. If it cost as much as the regular iPad - not sure.

I just bought the last 32GB mini in at iStudio Chiang Mai for a friend. The 16s are all out. Apple website has 2 weeks shipping. I am guessing the mini is another sleeper hit, with so-so reviews, lots of complaining about the price, etc, but come christmas everyone suddenly wants one....

Steve Jobs had me pegged correctly. I DO want a keypad, several USB ports and a memory card slot. My cheap net book doesn't need a cover either. I just close the lid. The 10 inch screen is too small but other than that it suits me just fine. I have nothing against the iPhone 5 except for the price and the screen is still too small. I'd like to have a bigger screen than the Galaxy S3 but then it wouldn't fit in my pocket.

The Apple guarantee is fine as long as you want to pay the equivalent of a new different make tablet when you void the warranty by putting a mark on your iPad.

Edited by Gary A

^to your first paragraph ,this is actually why I just bought a MacBook air ,does seem the iPad mini is going to be a hit I don't think you can claim one is better than the other though it depends what you are doing with it example if watchIng a lot of movies the iPad gotta be better for you,

I think the small screens become annoying after a while again depends what you are using it for,but this was the reason I opted for The MacBook air 13" screen the 11" is nice only bit bigger than iPad but the small screen as said can become annoying a few months down the line

I got my wifi iPad Mini (64Gig) through Apple website...absolutely luv it....

replaced my iPad 2 (and my Galaxy Tab 7.7)... use it mainly for work emails when on the go, but also for Amazon and iBooks books and magazines, Netiflix TV shows and movies.(with VPN setting), ITunes movies and shows...

great companion to my IPhone5 and Galaxy NoteII phones ....

super easy to put in my backpack or plane carry-on....