Will You Be Buying An Ipad Mini?

LDNBKK86

^ Surely you mean the old iPad. The New one is the iPad4 innit?

biggrin.png

i said march 2012. Thats 8 months ago. i use ipad more than laptop since. Screen is most amazing display i have ever seen.

No need to upgrade to refresh ipad. if it was thinner and igzo incell display, then i would consider an upgrade.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cheesy:

good effort that video, especially if you've seen the original promo. made me smile.

Apple's product lines are all messed up at this point, they've never been so confusing. Maybe Apple is going the way all the other big tech companies are going, with a million different products for every need out there?

The Samsung product line is a major confusing mess also. It's hard to keep track of different models because everything seems to be a Galaxy something. Samsung apparently likes the name Galaxy. Even the latest and greatest Galaxy S3 has a number of different models and iterations.

Yes, Samsung Galaxy S I, then Samsung Galaxy S II then Samsung Galaxy S III, all those Roman numerals are so confusing. ;)

Seriously, Samsung is the manufacturer, they have all their Android phones under the Galaxy brand and all their Bada phones under the Wave brand, and within brands they have different models. And yes, they do make different versions of the models for specific markets and service providers. FWIW, there are three different versions of the iPhone 5 (GSM, CDMA/GSM, GSM/LTE).

Think GM, Chevrolet, then Impala, Malibu, Cruze, Suburban, Corvette, Silverado, et al.

Yes, Samsung Galaxy S I, then Samsung Galaxy S II then Samsung Galaxy S III, all those Roman numerals are so confusing. wink.png

Seriously, Samsung is the manufacturer, they have all their Android phones under the Galaxy brand and all their Bada phones under the Wave brand, and within brands they have different models. And yes, they do make different versions of the models for specific markets and service providers. FWIW, there are three different versions of the iPhone 5 (GSM, CDMA/GSM, GSM/LTE).

Think GM, Chevrolet, then Impala, Malibu, Cruze, Suburban, Corvette, Silverado, et al.

My Galaxy SIII is the I9300 then there are the T999, I747, I535, I9305 and the Mini which is self explanatory.

Information comes fro GSM Arena. The "I" looks like a 1. Then there are dual and quad processors. blink.png

So the ipad mini comes to 11200 Baht (16GB/wifi), the Nexus 7 goes for 9800 Baht (16GB wifi, invadeIT price).

The ipad has a bigger display, better built quality, has better connectivity* and a far better user experience. For just 1400 Baht extra. So much to the haters who claim "Apple sheeps are stupid to buy overpriced iGadgets" :)

A no brainer actually. Unless you spend your free time with rooting your device and ssh'ing into Busybox. Then a Nexus is the far better toy.

* Connectivity: The ipad can be tethered to your 3G phone via Wifi, Wifi-adhoc, and Bluetooth PAN. Which means basically all phones on the market can be used to tether the iPad to 3G.

The Nexus can do Wifi and BT PAN, the latter is said being buggy and unreliable. So before you buy a wifi-only device, think about what you do when you need mobile internet.

A nice and often overlooked tablet you may also consider is the Blackberry playbook for just 8900 Baht. Its design is questionable, but very well built. The new BB10 OS has real multitasking what you don't find at iOS or Android. I'd prefer it over the Nexus 7 too.

The Samsung product line is a major confusing mess also. It's hard to keep track of different models because everything seems to be a Galaxy something. Samsung apparently likes the name Galaxy. Even the latest and greatest Galaxy S3 has a number of different models and iterations.

Not really; the S3 is what Apple are trying to copy with the iPhone 5. The Mini is for people who want the S3 but like the iPhone 4S size.

Clever marketing from Samsung, as a lot of iPhone 4S users are actually wondering why they should bother with the i5 when it is little more than a 4S that's been ironed.

The iPad Mini is selling well, but the New New iPad (IPad 4 ?) may be the best product no one seems to know about? It would suck to have just bought an iPad 3?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57544771-37/apples-vanishing-ipad/

http://www.apple.com/ipad/overview/

Peeved? Apple will exchange your 3rd-gen iPad for the newer model

Customers who purchased a third-generation iPad within the last 30 days might be able to exchange their device for a newer model at select Apple stores.

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57538502-285/peeved-apple-will-exchange-your-3rd-gen-ipad-for-the-newer-model/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57538956-37/why-did-apple-launch-the-ipad-4-now/

i have new ipad since march and not have a problem with release of updated ipad. i am using retinapad for very long time, almost everyday, several hours a day. if i had waited this long just for newer cpu and camera, that would be shame! There is no other difference than SoC and front facing camera. its not more slim, same weight and size. if it was slimmer with igzo screen and in cell tech, well, then i would sell my ipad 3 and buy that one for sure.

I've also had the iPad 3 since launch - love it. A new processor - that's IMO irrelevant, the iPad 3 is blazingly fast as it is. I am not sure why anybody would "regret" a new product coming out - doesn't make any sense to me. If you liked what you had before - why wouldn't you still like it???

Just ordered a mini too, 2 weeks delivery time from Apple online store thailand. Love that they give you a free engraving. Black of course, that backside is just so gorgeous in black...

Edited by nikster

I've also had the iPad 3 since launch - love it. A new processor - that's IMO irrelevant, the iPad 3 is blazingly fast as it is. I am not sure why anybody would "regret" a new product coming out - doesn't make any sense to me. If you liked what you had before - why wouldn't you still like it???

Obviously if you bought an old new iPad six months ago you might not want to replace it with a new new iPad - better to wait for the new new new iPad - hopefully it will be thinner. thumbsup.gif

I have no regrets about Apple introducing a new new iPad - I agree that such regrets are nonsensical, quite the opposite. It looks so good I am considering purchasing one, yes those are pig wings you hear flapping. tongue.png

Rather I was commenting on the fact that it might have been unfortunate to purchase an old new iPad say within the last 30 days, when the new new iPad was soon to be available. I wonder which version they are selling at store.apple.com/th? (I would buy one on my next trip to the U.S., at the end of December - hopefully they will have stock.) Obviously a new faster processor and better camera surely would be better considering those purchasing time-frames?

I think Steve Jobs was right 7in is too small for a tablet. 7in is not much bigger than most of the phones we have so not worth it.

Well, Apple will tell you it is really 7.9" so 35% more viewing space than a 7" tablet. I assume all the maxi Pad apps. scale down to this new form factor? And that Apple has included both coarse and fine sandpaper. ;)

Obviously the success of the Nexus 7, Kindle Fire have forced Apple to address this space.

=========================================================================================================

Here's a transcript, word for word, of Jobs explaining the shortcomings of 7-inch tablets to reporters and analysts during a financial-results conference call on October 19, 2010. At the time, he was commenting on Android 2.2 (Froyo) tablets, and he didn't think much of them – and he didn't want you to, either:

Almost all [Android-based tablets] use 7-inch screens as opposed to iPads near 10-inch screen. Let's start there.

One naturally thinks that a 7-inch screen would offer 70 per cent of the benefits of the 10-inch screen. Unfortunately, this is far from the truth. The screen measurements are diagonal, so that a 7-inch screen is only 45 per cent as large as iPad's 10-inch screen. You heard me right. Just 45 per cent as large.

If you take an iPad and hold it upright in portrait view and draw an imaginary horizontal line halfway down the screen, the screens on a 7-inch tablet are a bit smaller than the bottom half of the iPad's display. The size isn't sufficient to create great tablet apps, in our opinion.

While one could increase the resolution of the display to make up for some of the difference, it is meaningless unless your tablet also includes sandpaper so that the user can sand down their fingers to around one quarter of their present size.

Apple has done extensive user testing on touch interfaces over many years, and we really understand this stuff. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touchscreen before users cannot reliably tap, flick, or pinch them. This one of the key reasons, we think, the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.

Jobs didn't stop there. He also argued that tablet users were also smartphone users, and thus 7-inch tablets were of a size that made no sense – they were neither fish nor fowl.

Every tablet user is also a smartphone user. No tablet can compete with the mobility of the smartphone – its ease of fitting in your pocket or purse, its unobtrusiveness when used in a crowd.

Given that all tablet users will already have a smartphone in their pockets, giving up precious display area to fit a tablet in their pockets is clearly the wrong trade-off. The 7-inch tablets are tweeners: too big to compete with the smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad.

These are among the reasons we think the current crop of 7-inch tablets are going to be DOA – dead on arrival. Their manufacturers will learn the painful lesson that their tablets are too small, and increase the size next year, thereby abandoning both customers and developers who jumped on the 7-inch bandwagon with an orphan product.

Edited by lomatopo

Not looking for a massive iphone or a smaller ipad so don't see any logical reason to buy the ipad mini. A lot of people will buy it anyway. This reminds me of when I was in Japan staying with a friend in a "large" (for Tokyo) studio apartment. Looking around in the one room he had 2 tvs, 4 laptops, a desktop computer an Ipad and 3 dvd players. I asked why and he said he likes using them for different things. My time in Tokyo was very weird.

Not looking for a massive iphone or a smaller ipad so don't see any logical reason to buy the ipad mini. A lot of people will buy it anyway.

Im exacly looking for a smaller iPad (and am sure others are too)...I had an iPad2 and was happy with it for work (and other) purposes, but preferred a smaller device (so sold it and got a Galaxy Tab7.7 inch)

I'm not that happy with the Android system on a tablet form (very clunky IMO compared to Apple system)..so am really looking forward to getting an iPad Mini (which Im hoping is as good as the iPad 2, but in a smaller and lighter format)