Whats The Best Thai Movie You Have Seen?

krisb

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have watched two of the King Naraseen at the movies and really enjoyed them ,altho sceptical about the historicall accuracy, but i went to purchase them on DVD but they do not have English sub-titles unlike at the movies . A small but lost market .

I also have watched and enjoyed Jan Dara ,altho it was not popular in Thailand as it portrayed a side of Thai society that was considered not to be openly exposed.

The Tony Jaa movies have been ok and somewhat enjoyable but not outstanding in my opinion and Thai slapstick comedy just irritates me.

Dang Bireley (Thai language removed.) is a widely regarded "classic" which introduced the international community into the understanding of the idiosyncratic method of Thai film making.

I'd also put a shout out to Nang Nak as Nonsee Nimibut managed to pour his heart and soul into making a ghost story an advert for visiting Thailand through his use of beauty in his imagery.

99999999999 is also worth a look as it was allegedly the bloodiest film in history until they made that August Underground abomination.

Edited by metisdead

You forgot to mention the bloke with woman clothes, the disabled, the super ugly and the midget.Otherewise a movie can never classify as humerous in Thailand.

It ain't comedy if this guy isn't there, obligatory appearance in every flick:

mum1.jpg

He's done what, 1000 of them ?

I thought that short, fat <deleted> was in every film??

• Like 1

Dang Bireley (Thai language removed.) is a widely regarded "classic" which introduced the international community into the understanding of the idiosyncratic method of Thai film making.

I'd also put a shout out to Nang Nak as Nonsee Nimibut managed to pour his heart and soul into making a ghost story an advert for visiting Thailand through his use of beauty in his imagery.

99999999999 is also worth a look as it was allegedly the bloodiest film in history until they made that August Underground abomination.

I thought "Dang Birely" was extremely stylish, aesthetically pleasing, and original (maybe even revolutionary for a Thai film) but I always felt it was a bit overrated and that much of its acclaim was down to its quirkiness and difference from typical Thai films of the day.

I think Nimibut is talented and did a fine job with "Nang Nak" (and I'd long had a jones for Sai Charoenpura) but I find it hard to praise much a film of story that's been made, for over 50 years, into over a dozen movies and a couple TV series.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

You could argue the same about several Thai "classics" such as "Kang Lang Parp", "Khamphakpisaa/Ai Fak" or " (Reuang) Jan Dara" which have been done over and over yet there are stand out versions of each.

I totally agree however that you have hammered the nail firmly on the bonce.

It is indeed a lack of original ideas and the producer's urge to just sell a film instead of gambling on storylines which tends to drag the Thai film industry down, not the creative men behind the cameras.

I am also stealing the use of the term "I've long had a jones for..."

The King and I - Yul Bryner awesome

in seriousness I enjoyed Thai movies and watching them at the cinema until they went through a period of only seeming to produce comedy or horror.

Bangkok Dangerous (the one w/out N Cage)

Beautiful Boxer

Steel ladies - Satrelek

Nang Nak

The Legend of Suryothai (but found it hard to work out who was who)

Bang Rajan

Shutter

As you can see nothing much past 2004 and mostly 1999 to 2001 which reflects my lifestyle changing to one of less cinema as well as the industry changing.

You could argue the same about several Thai "classics" such as "Kang Lang Parp", "Khamphakpisaa/Ai Fak" or " (Reuang) Jan Dara" which have been done over and over yet there are stand out versions of each.

I totally agree however that you have hammered the nail firmly on the bonce.

It is indeed a lack of original ideas and the producer's urge to just sell a film instead of gambling on storylines which tends to drag the Thai film industry down, not the creative men behind the cameras.

I am also stealing the use of the term "I've long had a jones for..."

Absolutely right on both points, the first being something I'd overlooked. Agree totally.

Heh. I guess I can't stop you from stealing it.

( "...have a jones for INSERT OBJECT OF PERSISTENT SEXUAL DESIRE..." has been a favorite of mine for decades and I think from my own head -- using it to describe a feeling about a person rather than an addiction etc -- but I always think people don't know what I'm talking about when I occasionally use it; I'm very gratified that someone finally appreciates it!)

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

My Favorite Ong Bak

Tom Yam Kung I didn't like it that much, maybe mostly because of the phrase where is my elephant (ช้างกูอยู่ไหน) which you heard all the time through out the movie. But the action was good.

And all movies with the clan of Mum and Tuki

Thailand is most famous for horror or supernatural films, which I don't really like. But some of them are remarkably high quality for the genre.

Let's be clear, I have seen some horrible Thai films but I have also seen some absolutely outstanding Thai films. There have been some Thai films winning international awards at film festivals so don't be so arrogant that Thais can't make good films.

Bangkok Dangerous (the original, not the bad remake with Nicholas Cage, which was made by the original filmmakers but was nowhere near as good) Thai version was a decent flick.

Most of the comedies I've seen have been absolutely dreadful full of stupid slapstick jokes. However, I did catch a funny one on TV that was probably at least 10 years old where some promiscuous guy has his genitals taken away by a god as punishment. Not great quality but good for a silly laugh, and I never even knew the name of it.

Another one I saw on TV was even older, maybe from 90s or 80s and it was half serious, half comedy in a way because this girl keeps accidentally killing people in crazy situations in her apartment and having to hide the bodies. Kept me entertained anyway, and again I don't know the name of this one and actually couldn't watch it the whole way through.

But as for high quality films here's a short list you should check out:

Last Life in the Universe - Can't believe it's been 8 or 9 years since this first came out and I saw it. It's more a Thai/Japanese film but the director is Thai and it's set in Bangkok with the main character being Japanese.

Bangkok Dangerous - Thai version as I said before, not the Nicholas Cage one! Not the most amazing or anything, but I enjoyed it.

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives - Won the Palm d'Or at Cannes 2010 which is the best film at the world famous festival. Pretty high award, obviously. I haven't actually seen it but it's pretty strange.

Memory - (2008) There's some other film with a similar name, in English anyway, in 2006. This wasn't a great film and maybe too slow for some but it was weird and if you watch it all the way to the end, makes up for it for me. Great plot twists. Here's a link about that one: http://www.enjoythaimovies.com/2009/10/memory/

Also I think someone mentioned King Nareusan but you may want to check out the prequel to this one, The Legend of Suriyothai.

So yeah, some unique, good Thai films for me. There are some talented filmmakers in Thailand, have no doubt. But there are definitely some horrible films I've seen, particularly a couple of the slapstick comedies.

I recently managed to watch a great Thai movie called 'The Moonhunter' which I thoroughly enjoyed. Another movie I recently watched was called 'The Overture'. Both movies were based on real life events and showed that Thai directors can sometimes make good films The King Naresuan series shows, to me at least, there are some Thai filmmakers who are serious about making real films and not the usual Thai ghost, horror, slapstick, love movie.

Another movie I enjoyed was '13 Beloved' as I thought it was actually an original idea. Apparently it was picked up for a Western remake but nothing has come of that yet. Another movie I enjoyed, it's name escapes me, but I remember it having a talking teddy bear that smoked (way before 'Ted' came along) and was unusual compared to the average Thai movie.

Edited by ianwuk

"The Legend of King Naresuan" was an epic and a classic on par with anything made and released in the West. Other lesser Thai movies can be highly entertaining, the Thai's have a solid track record of producing humerous movies, anyone who suggests otherwise has probably never really sat down and watched one.

King Naresuan, top viewing, hard going for my language skills, but worth the fee to get in.

Some people obviously have a low opinion of Thai cinema based on some of the comedies it produces. But judging Thai cinema by them is as stupid as judging Hollywood by such puerile rubbish as The Hangover (1 and 2), the American Pie series etc.

Off the top of my head, some of my favourite Thai films (some of which have already been mentioned by others) are, in no particular order:-

Bangkok Dangerous

One Take Only

2499 Dang Bireley's and Young Gangsters

Nor Chor (released in the West with the unfortunate, and misleading, title of Bangkok Hell)

Bang Rajan

Beautiful Boxer

The Unborn

Necromancer

Shutter; possibly the best ghost film to date, from anywhere.

and no list would be complete without two wonderful films which I could not see anyone making in the West:

Bangkok Loco

Tears of the Black Tiger.

Edit:

Apologies for giving the English titles rather than the Thai ones; my Thai isn't that good. All of the above are available on DVD with English subtitles in the UK and/or Thailand.

Edited by 7by7

Some people obviously have a low opinion of Thai cinema based on some of the comedies it produces. But judging Thai cinema by them is as stupid as judging Hollywood by such puerile rubbish as The Hangover (1 and 2), the American Pie series etc.

Off the top of my head, some of my favourite Thai films (some of which have already been mentioned by others) are, in no particular order:-

Bangkok Dangerous

One Take Only

2499 Dang Bireley's and Young Gangsters

Nor Chor (released in the West with the unfortunate, and misleading, title of Bangkok Hell)

Bang Rajan

Beautiful Boxer

The Unborn

Necromancer

Shutter; possibly the best ghost film to date, from anywhere.

and no list would be complete without two wonderful films which I could not see anyone making in the West:

Bangkok Loco

Tears of the Black Tiger.

Edit:

Apologies for giving the English titles rather than the Thai ones; my Thai isn't that good. All of the above are available on DVD with English subtitles in the UK and/or Thailand.

Tears of the black tiger huh!...like Rambo meets Clint Eastwood!

I loved Killer Tattoo- this one is a classic to me. This one has an all star line up of all Thai comedians.

Secret Sunday was pretty cool.

Mo Baed- This movie is a classic too so it might be hard to find. This movie shows what a Thai teacher went through in the 80s. My wife loves this movie since she is a Thai teacher and makes her wish back to those days of a teacher in Thailand (my wife was a student in the 80s). Since Im a teacher too, I love this movie too.

Kru Ban Nok- This is another classic teacher movie. This movie follows the life of a Thai teacher in a small village school. Mum is the school director.

Edited by qazwsx38

I loved Killer Tattoo- this one is a classic to me. This one has an all star line up of all Thai comedians.

Mo Baed- This movie is a classic too so it might be hard to find. This movie shows what a Thai teacher went through in the 80s. My wife loves this movie since she is a Thai teacher and makes her wish back to those days of a teacher in Thailand (when my wife was a student). Since Im a teacher too, I love this movie too.

Kru Ban Nok- This is another classic teacher movie. This movie follows the life of a Thai teacher in a small village school. Mum is the school director.

Mo Baed- This movie is a classic too so it might be hard to find. This movie shows what a Thai teacher went through in the 80s. My wife loves this movie since she is a Thai teacher and makes her wish back to those days of a teacher in Thailand (when my wife was a student). Since Im a teacher too, I love this movie too.

Sorry disregard this quote.