Whats The Best Thai Movie You Have Seen?

krisb

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun Bar Karaoke

Tropical Malady

Jan Dara

There's another couple that I can't recall the title of.

The vast majority of mainstream Thai film is puerile crap but anyone who thinks that there has never been any quality Thai cinema (ie well received by international critics and festivals like Cannes and Berlin) simply assume that because the mainstream stuff (that perhaps their wives or girlfriends watch) is all there is.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

I was about to mention Jan Dara and Tropical Malady too.

Otherwise, "The Tin Mine" is an interesting/positive movie about how Thai and Western individuals clash but somehow accommodate in order to reach a common goal. Enough action and good depiction of mid-20th century Southern Thailand make it enjoyable to watch.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/The_Tin_Mine

But, yes, this trio includes only historical (Jan Dara, The Tin Mine) or fantasy genre movies (Tropical Malady - actually hard to describe/classify for foreigners).

Will check other posts in search for recommended real-contemporary movies.

Edited by Mitker

The King and I - Yul Bryner awesome

Wasn't that movie banned in the kingdom?

I think so and it is not a Thai movie.

Curses foiled - and I would have got away with it too if it wasn't for those pesky kids...

Sent from Android please allow errors in type or judgment.

As was it's remake. I don't believe in censorship even in this instance but I certainly understand why it's offensive to Thais when one considers the true history, and the outrageously distorted representation of Anna Leonowens, the King of the title and their relationship (to be expected when you dramatize what was a largely made up story to begin with)

Having said that, I believe it's common for Hi-So Thais to have seen the play on Broadway -- supposedly even the very highest echelon. Ahem. And I've met some who; like me felt it was fun play/movie but was so completely fictional and unrepresentative that it should have been set in a fictional country and everything would be fine.

As was it's remake. I don't believe in censorship even in this instance but I certainly understand why it's offensive to Thais when one considers the true history, and the outrageously distorted representation of Anna Leonowens, the King of the title and their relationship (to be expected when you dramatize what was a largely made up story to begin with)

Having said that, I believe it's common for Hi-So Thais to have seen the play on Broadway -- supposedly even the very highest echelon. Ahem. And I've met some who; like me felt it was fun play/movie but was so completely fictional and unrepresentative that it should have been set in a fictional country and everything would be fine.

To this day, I never understood, WHY it was banned. Not being historicaly over critical, I always found the King to be portrayed in a very favorable light...but what do I know...?!

To this day, I never understood, WHY it was banned. Not being historicaly over critical, I always found the King to be portrayed in a very favorable light...but what do I know...?!

Really?!

Let me keep it simple and brief (and of the top of my head after 2 rare glasses of wine):

In the movie: a noble savage. Kindhearted deep down but simple and very fortunate to have the wisdom and guidance of the much more civilized and educated western woman with whom he barely resisted having a romantic liaison with (as he struggled with English).

In (one plausible )reality: A highly educated, sophisticated, and enlightened man (relative to his time and culture) and student of science and language who had almost certainly relatively little contact with, let alone guidance from, some woman hired to tutor his kids that wasn't even close to being on the same social level even by western standards.

Now when you consider that this man is one of the very most important and revered figures EVER in the country's entire history. One of the two most important Kings in a country where they are virtually demigods...

EDIT:

In my jumble of hastily assembled factoids I should have mentioned that in contrast to the barely "civilized" man in the play and film, the real monarch had spend nearly 30 years as a scholar and monk.

Edited by SteeleJoe

I think the objections are the completely false impression it gives, taken from her book, that Leonowens had significant influence over King Mongkut (Rama IV), that he possibly had romantic feelings for her and that she was present at his death.

None of which is true.

She also claimed influence over King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) and credit for many of his reforms. Although they did correspond regularly after his father's death, these claims are false and Leonowens did not return to Siam, as it then was, after the death of King Mongkut.

But the main objection, I believe, is the story of Tuptim; a concubine she says in her second book was tortured and executed on the orders of King Mongkut. This story, totally without foundation, was presented by Leonowens as fact and included in the film.

Because of these and other inaccuracies the books and the three films and TV mini series derived from them are regarded as lese majeste in Thailand.

Let' s see:

Bio zombi

407 dark flight2012

Bay Rong2009

Bitter Sweet2009

BodyJumper2001

DumDumDui

DumberHeroes

HeavenAndHell2012

Naak(Deep in the jungle)

Phobia2

Ploy-- 1 of my favorites

SecretSunday2010

Slice

SoiCowbay2008

TearsOfTheBlackTiger2000

The Detective 2 2011

The kick2011

TheLazarusPapers-- 1 of my favorites

Thescreenatkamchanod2007

TheTesseract2003--1 of my favorites

TheVanquisher2010

The8thDay

Thewicked dolls

TwoTigers2007--1 of my favorites

That is the best one?

tongue.png

I know the Thai king found it direspectful as it was depicting 1 of his relatives.

Rambo meets Clint Eastwood????

It is more a homage to the spaghetti westerns of Serge Leon, so I guess there is an Eastwood connection, and a parody of the Thai romantic melodramas of the 1950s.

Let me elaborate, look at the preview posted on here, skip to 57seconds until 1.20....clint and rambo.

I know the Thai king found it direspectful as it was depicting 1 of his relatives.

You do know that? How?

One of his relatives? Well, yes -- His Majesty's great-grandfther: probably the most revered individual in the Kingdom's history aside from King Bhumiphol himself.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

It is more a homage to the spaghetti westerns of Serge Leon, so I guess there is an Eastwood connection, and a parody of the Thai romantic melodramas of the 1950s.

Let me elaborate, look at the preview posted on here, skip to 57seconds until 1.20....clint and rambo.

The preview I posted, do you mean?

I don't need to look at the preview, I have seen the whole film (Tears of the Black Tiger); several times.

BTW, apols for the earlier typo; it should, of course, be Sergio Leone!

I don't need to look at the preview, I have seen the whole film (Tears of the Black Tiger); several times.

movies are open to interpritation . Its what came to mind when I watched the preview. Perhaps the full flick is different.

movies are open to interpritation . Its what came to mind when I watched the preview. Perhaps the full flick is different.

It is; you should watch it; it's excellent.

I agree about Shutter, very creepy!

Let' s see:

Bio zombi

407 dark flight2012

Bay Rong2009

Bitter Sweet2009

BodyJumper2001

DumDumDui

DumberHeroes

HeavenAndHell2012

Naak(Deep in the jungle)

Phobia2

Ploy-- 1 of my favorites

SecretSunday2010

Slice

SoiCowbay2008

TearsOfTheBlackTiger2000

The Detective 2 2011

The kick2011

Thescreenatkamchanod2007

TheVanquisher2010

The8thDay

Thewicked dolls

SoiCowbay2008??

There is a Thai movie I'd like to see called 'Happy Birthday' with Ananda Everingham. It is quite old (about 2007 I think?). Does anyone know where I can get it with English subtitles?

A google search brings up some links

Let' s see:

Bio zombi

407 dark flight2012

Bay Rong2009

Bitter Sweet2009

BodyJumper2001

DumDumDui

DumberHeroes

HeavenAndHell2012

Naak(Deep in the jungle)

Phobia2

Ploy-- 1 of my favorites

SecretSunday2010

Slice

SoiCowbay2008

TearsOfTheBlackTiger2000

The Detective 2 2011

The kick2011

Thescreenatkamchanod2007

TheVanquisher2010

The8thDay

Thewicked dolls

SoiCowbay2008??

Whats soi Cowboy 2008 about?...or is it the obvious?

OK, yep seen it! just checked the short on youtube. Wasnt that great, I give it 5/10 on the Krisb rating system.

Edited by krisb

Only seen a few but enjoyed most of them.

Shutter, The Eye, Ong Bak, Chocolate, Tom Yum Goong, Death 13, Head shot, Bangkok Dangerous.

There are a few more but i cant remember the names. I havent found any comedies i enjoy yet. The slapstick is awful. Im sure there are some good ones out there but unfortunetly my Thai isnt at a high enough standard to be able to watch them without subtitles and generally you dont find many English subtitled films here