American Express Atm?

Does anyone know of an ATM in Thailand (actually bank) whose ATM's accept amex cards? My parrents who are due to visit in May asked me, I have been to most and looked at the stickers for what cards they accept, these seem to be cirrus, mastercard and visa. Not yet located AMEX. Any offers or is my mum off her rocker? :o

Does anyone know of an ATM in Thailand (actually bank) whose ATM's accept amex cards? My parrents who are due to visit in May asked me, I have been to most and looked at the stickers for what cards they accept, these seem to be cirrus, mastercard and visa. Not yet located AMEX. Any offers or is my mum off her rocker? :o

...I can remember some 6 years ago, Bangkok Bank ATM's accept AMEX cards.

...I can remember some 6 years ago, Bangkok Bank ATM's accept AMEX cards.

Yes, the "ATM Finder" on the AMEX website lists only Bangkok Bank ATMs. I don't think that's the best choice for money since it'd be a cash advance and AMEX doesn't give a great exchange rate. They could easily use AMEX traveler's cheques. But hey, how many parents do strange things?

American Express cards historically charge the vendor far more per transaction, give a rotten exchange rate and as a result are not very popular with vendors in Thailand and elsewhere (read: not accepted).

American Express is a private organisation whereas Visa and MasterCard are NFPs. However, American Express traveller's cheques are readily accepted.

I believe that you can use your amex card at any atm that carries the cirrus symbol. I've use my amex a lot all over bangkok. haven't had any problems yet.

there is a branch office of amex in the ibm building off the ari BTS. so, if you have any questions, you can always go there.

that is also another option. at the amex office, you can withdraw up to 2500 dollars every 21 days with the use of a personal check.

before I moved to thailand, I would go to my AAA car insurance office, and get a bunch of amex travelers checks to bring to thailand and use those. in thailand, you get the best exchange rates with amex travelers checks. to save on the fees, I would get large 1000 dollars denomination amex travelers check. at AAA, there are no fees involved in obtaining the travelers check.

oh. forgot to mention....

my amex card is actually BOTH an atm card and a credit card. I got it thru my brokerage account. so, I don't withdraw money as a cash advance, but rather as an atm card. ..no cash advance fees are charged. in fact, I'm allowed to withdraw money from an atm 3 times a month with no atm fees charged me.

Ah that's a good question... as there's a difference between Amex issued cards and bank issued Amex cards.

Same same, just another branding.

no, there is a difference.

if your amex card is not connected directly to a checking account with some bank or brokerage account, then, you would be getting "cash advances" when you use the amex card to withdraw money. thus, you would be charged "cash advance fees" which can be high.

on the other hand, if your amex card is connected directly to a bank or brokerage checking account, then, it is effectively also functioning as an atm card. when you use the amex card, money is taken directly from the checking account immediately to pay for whatever you purchased.

that is how my amex card works.

the brokerage I use is fidelity. www.fidelity.com

check it out.

Ah that's a good question... as there's a difference between Amex issued cards and bank issued Amex cards.

if your amex card is not connected directly to a checking account with some bank or brokerage account, then, you would be getting "cash advances" when you use the amex card to withdraw money. thus, you would be charged "cash advance fees" which can be high.

on the other hand, if your amex card is connected directly to a bank or brokerage checking account, then, it is effectively also functioning as an atm card. when you use the amex card, money is taken directly from the checking account immediately to pay for whatever you purchased.

check it out.

I have a Fidelity AE too... Is there any fee from the Thailand bank (Any suggestion of which Bank to use) on your statement and how is the exchange rate?

check it out.

I have a Fidelity AE too... Is there any fee from the Thailand bank (Any suggestion of which Bank to use) on your statement and how is the exchange rate?

check the website for that info. www.fidelity.com

if you want a brokerage account that never charges for atm withdrawals no matter what your balance is - check out www.etrade.com

I am currently considering getting an etrade account to take advantage of this feature.

I believe that you can use your amex card at any atm that carries the cirrus symbol. I've use my amex a lot all over bangkok. haven't had any problems yet.

there is a branch office of amex in the ibm building off the ari BTS. so, if you have any questions, you can always go there.

that is also another option. at the amex office, you can withdraw up to 2500 dollars every 21 days with the use of a personal check.

before I moved to thailand, I would go to my AAA car insurance office, and get a bunch of amex travelers checks to bring to thailand and use those. in thailand, you get the best exchange rates with amex travelers checks. to save on the fees, I would get large 1000 dollars denomination amex travelers check. at AAA, there are no fees involved in obtaining the travelers check.

oh. forgot to mention....

my amex card is actually BOTH an atm card and a credit card. I got it thru my brokerage account. so, I don't withdraw money as a cash advance, but rather as an atm card. ..no cash advance fees are charged. in fact, I'm allowed to withdraw money from an atm 3 times a month with no atm fees charged me.

Since when can you withdraw money from an American Express card? You can't do it here in the States and it's actually not a credit card, it's considered a charge card because you have to pay the balance in full every month.......Unless of course there are charges on your card to be paid over time

check it out.

Hmm, I have Fidelity too, but use the Visa Debit card for withdrawals, and the AMEX for charges. I thought the AMEX withdrawals would count as cash advances on that card since the balance is paid monthly, not directly out of the balance. But I'm not sure I read the terms on ATM withdrawals for the AMEX.

On the VISA Debit, the exchange rate is pretty good, and as far as I can tell, 100% of the current foreign exchange rate. Here are the withdrawals I just had:

Per xe.com Actual Rate % of prior day

1/29/2006 38.907

1/30/2006 39.123 38.861 99.88%

1/31/2005 38.907

2/1/2006 39.104 38.906 100.00%

2/2/2006 39.38 39.003 99.74%

2/5/2006 39.41

2/6/2006 39.439 39.337 99.81%

(Sorry, this thing cuts out extra spaces so it's all run together.)

When I checked last Nov., the rates tended to be above 100%. I think 3 above and 2 below or something like that, but overall closer to 100%. I haven't pulled my ATM receipts to figure out which day these actually were. Could be a 30 baht or something ATM charge in here though and I wouldn't know. I used Bangkok Bank exclusively and a whole lot of different banks last time. Might account for the slight difference in exchange rate.

Edited by Carmine6

Since when can you withdraw money from an American Express card? You can't do it here in the States and it's actually not a credit card, it's considered a charge card because you have to pay the balance in full every month.......Unless of course there are charges on your card to be paid over time

There are American Express credit cards in overseas markets. There are also charge cards. In some markets, American Express is more of a credit supplier than a charge supplier.