Alcohol For Herbal Tinctures Available?

weary

I am learning to make my own herbal tinctures, and so far have been using normal 80 proof vodka (40%), but would like to use stronger alcohol to improve extraction and purity.

Does anyone know if it is possible/legal to buy stronger, safe for consumption, alcohol than 40%. If so, where?

If no stronger medical ingestion grade alternative is available, is Stroh rum (60%) legal to buy?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot! I called them today, but it turns out they are closed on Sundays. I tried to find them based on the map on their website, but no luck. Are you good at giving directions?

Hi, sorry I'm so slow to answer but I don't check "my content" often enough. Union Science is on Sutep Road just a few steps east (toward the moat) of the junction with Nimmanhaiman Road. It's on the south side of the road.

• 2 months later...

Hi Weary, How are you going with your tincture? I have an update for you. I've used two dropper bottles of reishi tincture now and continue to notice increased energy. I take one or two dropperfuls a day depending on how I feel, and find it best to take a quarter dropperful at a time. This gives me energy all day long without a crash, and it's sustainable. There's no getting strung out like I do with caffeine, although I do still drink one cup of coffee every morning. Yesterday morning I woke up sick because I'd thrown my blankets off my torso during my sleep and it was extra cold, but I took two and a half dropperfuls through the day and today I feel about 90% well. Normally I would have taken fah talai jon and hoped for the best but the tincture worked just as well, maybe even better. I bought my mushrooms at Blue Diamond but I think they bought them at Warorot Market. I cut up the mushrooms into small pieces, blended them in the little attachment that came with my blender, then soaked them in alcohol and a little distilled water for six weeks, shaking or stirring at least twice a week. Then I strained out the liquid and boiled the mushrooms for half an hour in a little water. I strained that liquid and added it to the original liquid, let it cool, and poured it into a dark colored bottle.

I've already started my next batch because I've given a lot away.

I heard about ganoderma lucidum from an MLM guy who was hawking the extract mixed into instant coffee. But I didn't like the taste or all the caffeine and was pleased to find out that I could buy my own mushrooms locally and do it myself. It's much healthier, more fulfilling, and just a fraction of the price.

Hello, fellow Reishi fans.

I normally buy a kilo at Warorot, boil a handful or two in clean water, and drink the resulting soup.

Sometimes add fresh Ginger & Turmeric.

I'm not an authority though - is the tincture better? Do I destroy some benefits by boiling it?

Reishi sounds interesting, I'll give it a shot one of these days.

To be honest, I don't really notice any effects from taking the gotu kola alcohol tincture I made. I will keep taking it until finished, just in case it is slow-acting thing.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, fellow Reishi fans.

I normally buy a kilo at Warorot, boil a handful or two in clean water, and drink the resulting soup.

Sometimes add fresh Ginger & Turmeric.

I'm not an authority though - is the tincture better? Do I destroy some benefits by boiling it?

It's necessary to boil the mushrooms to extract certain things, but by not soaking them first for at least a few weeks much is lost. I once boiled without soaking and I felt a slight pick me up once but after that, nothing (but I didn't eat the mushrooms).