Self Protection

saviorsoul0872

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one of these in the car.Unobtrusive and useful:

Also I have it, sometimes, in the plane. No problems with anyone.

Because as a Farang, I would not try to use illegal things, to protect myself.

In case, you are successful, it can cost you a lot of money.

On the motorcycle, I think, because I do not stop, it wouldn't be helpful. If they kick you off the bike, ....!

Wow,he sure showed that dummy and melon not to mess with him!

Good job they gave him time to collapse it first to set up a strike,Somchai and friends might not be so generous cornering you outside the 7/11,give me a stun gun looking like a mobile phone anyday!

giggle.gif

The best advantage of this umbrella is: you can use it for rainy days. Even windy rainy days doesn't destroy it. It works perfect for all kind of street dogs and still can be used for sun/rain shade.

It was a present, and till I have it, my cost for re-buying bad quality umbrellas is zero!

That's why I like it. I never bothered, to take it on the bike, because I'm not looking for fights.

The gang-mentality makes me think, it's not the best place, to look for that.

The number one place in the statistic of Asian countries, for possessing firearms illegally, supports this thinking.

Also a good 'weapon' is a nice print magazine, even a newspaper is a dam_n good and handy thing, in case you are in need.

But my needs are on other subjects. coffee1.gif

the umbrella look impressive indeed. in a stabbing motion, do you think it could penetrate skin with enough force?

I think only if you used the sharp end, handle might be a problem...........wink.png

If you stab someone with the handle, you may have some issues that you need to address! IMHO of course.

Carrying any kind of weapon is really counterproductive and much more likely for any incident to spiral way out of control.

You pull out your knife or baton and your assailant pulls out a machete or a gun and where are you then?

Follow the usual rules when it comes to personal safety and hope that you are never the victim of an unprovoked attack which happens but it is still not that common.

Further in any unprovoked attack it is highly unlikely that you will see it coming or have the time to use any weapon you might have.

Unprovoked attacks are usually by their nature a complete surprise to the victim.

• Like 1

Both foldable pocket knifes & collapsible batons are for sale at the tuesday/friday market on soi bukaow.

But you will need to modify or build your own holster to make it a quick-draw

And then get in your one or two good wacks before a group of Thais beat the living sh%t out of you...lol

• Like 1

I just don't get into fights, haven't gotten in one since i was around 18. Wonder why others get into fights so much that they want weapons.

You are into weights,probably body building,so I guess your quite well built.The Thai's may therefore think you're able to handle yourself,even if your not,this would lead the Thai's to giving you a wider berth. For the Farangs who are of slight build or getting old, to some Thai's,especially if there are other Thai's around, you will be perceived as easy.

I just don't get into fights, haven't gotten in one since i was around 18. Wonder why others get into fights so much that they want weapons.

You are into weights,probably body building,so I guess your quite well built.The Thai's may therefore think you're able to handle yourself,even if your not,this would lead the Thai's to giving you a wider berth. For the Farangs who are of slight build or getting old, to some Thai's,especially if there are other Thai's around, you will be perceived as easy.

Yes im into weights, im also one to avoid fights. Nee need to save my honor or something like that by having a weapon. If i bump into someone i say sorry. I think how you behave yourself also has a big impact on if you get into a fight. If your an idiot or just someone who is not well liked your much more likely to fight.

Different story of course if you are talking about getting robbed and such. Then how you look and how much wealth you display has a big influence on it.

• Like 1

Even an elderly midget wearing a friendly and humble attitude and living a wholesome lifestyle in a normal part of Thailand (that isn't full of farang and their predators) will never 99.99% of the time never be threatened with a smidgen of violence. Unless he gets his teerak angry of course 8-)

I used to win all my fights by about 50 metres tongue.png now I just keep a low profile and don't look for trouble. I am told that a small water pistol filled with ammonia don't have make their eyes sting.

Also does wonders to your gonads if it starts leaking in your pocket..............thumbsup.gif

Please don't tell me you would carry it in a handbag...........sad.png

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif .. yeah well, ... as for my gonads they gotta find them first.... my pink umbrella is pretty good too.

• Like 1

Both foldable pocket knifes & collapsible batons are for sale at the tuesday/friday market on soi bukaow.

And then get in your one or two good wacks before a group of Thais beat the living sh%t out of you...lol

So what ? I dont need to live any longer, and neither does any thief that gets in my way

So what ? I dont need to live any longer, and neither does any thief that gets in my way

There seems to be an awfull lot of Ninjas with quick draw holsters and fights to the death on Thai Visa....strange how the internet has that effect on some people!? Funny when I walk down the street I rarely see these steely eyed dealers of death and it is usually podgy unfit old men I see who couldnt fight their way out of a paper bag, maybe TV Ninjas hang out somewhee else......

( http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2012/article16585.html )

One of the few:

phuket-4-16585GrimdpJKSGOwXSXJdcYakDVWqQ.jpg

Like mostly, with Patong thugs, he got 'gang banged'

Paranoid twits or actually enjoy violence as a sport? You decide. . .

And this is exaclty the attitude that will backfire on you one day,when you find yourself down the wrong soi at the wrong time because you know what,the person coming at you WILL enjoy violence,very much.He will be looking forward to using as much on you as he possibly can,before you lose consciousness or cease to exist!

But hey,you'll be ok,it'll never happen to you...will it?rolleyes.gif

If you carry a weapon, you're raising the stakes.

Someone who tries to rob you etc, might not necessarily use a knife, if they think that you're unarmed. As they'll think that they're in control etc, rather they'll just try to intimidate you.

If you pull out a knife / baton etc, sure they might run, or they might just skip the conversation and go for a killshot.

And if you get into a fight with them, and win, then they might decide to revenge the next day by trying to track you down with half a dozen of their mates.

Best course of action, is to keep the stakes low by trying to limit the involvement of weapons. Your mouth is your best weapon against thieves, trying to talk your way out of a situation is very low risk compared to trying to fight your way out of the situation (So long as you're not trying to threaten them of course lol, because they'd be stupid).

So just be a victim and take your beating like a good Farang,eh?

This statement is so far off the mark it's not even funny!I just pray for your sake that you never find yourself in a bad situation because it's odds on you'll end up in a ditch face down unfortunately!rolleyes.gif

A little can of pepper spray is very useful.

Very,just note wind direction first!thumbsup.gif

I'll remember to ask the attacker to stop for a sec while i check wind direction - thanks for that.

If you had the correct awareness you would know it anyway,obviously you don't.Thanks for letting us know that!

Carrying any kind of weapon is really counterproductive and much more likely for any incident to spiral way out of control.

You pull out your knife or baton and your assailant pulls out a machete or a gun and where are you then?

Follow the usual rules when it comes to personal safety and hope that you are never the victim of an unprovoked attack which happens but it is still not that common.

Further in any unprovoked attack it is highly unlikely that you will see it coming or have the time to use any weapon you might have.

Unprovoked attacks are usually by their nature a complete surprise to the victim.

You're missing the whole point,if you pull out a knife or baton you don't wait for your assailant to pull out whatever he has,you use it and make your escape,end of!

You CAN see an attack coming if you know what to look for,if you are looking around you and anticipating trouble.Chances are your would-be assailants will see you as a more difficult target and not bother,they will look for the victim type,looking down at the floor and seemingly scared of an attack!

It's funny that so many people on here with no self-defence or Martial Arts training comment on how the best defence is to NOT carry any weapon and talk your way out of a bad situation.Utterly ridiculous,it's NOT going to happen!

If you are attacked your life will be on the line!If you want to take your chances that your witty repartee will see you right carry on,IT WON'T.You need to react in the same way as if you're swimming in the sea and a Great White Shark is coming towards you.it's LIFE OR DEATH!

Police forces around the world always advise not to resist during a street robbery. Reading news reports of robberies in Pattaya, victims are only injured when resisting a street robbery. My wife was robbed in a street attack in Malaysia, did not resist and wasn't injured. The local police stated tourists are sometimes severely injured when resisting and she was correct not to resist.

What is so different in Thailand that posters are saying arm yourself and fight back?

Edited by simple1

One more point to make on this protection issue, I am Welsh, we have our very own art, the name is secret and unpronouncable to you ingrates, infidels and ingorants,

however the rules are:

to be the first to attack

to attack before the attacker attacks you

to attack before the attacker even knew they were going to attack you

to attack from behind and preferably without being seen or heard

To attack them before they even wake up....

You're missing the whole point,if you pull out a knife or baton you don't wait for your assailant to pull out whatever he has,you use it and make your escape,end of!

You CAN see an attack coming if you know what to look for,if you are looking around you and anticipating trouble.Chances are your would-be assailants will see you as a more difficult target and not bother,they will look for the victim type,looking down at the floor and seemingly scared of an attack!

It's funny that so many people on here with no self-defence or Martial Arts training comment on how the best defence is to NOT carry any weapon and talk your way out of a bad situation.Utterly ridiculous,it's NOT going to happen!

If you are attacked your life will be on the line!If you want to take your chances that your witty repartee will see you right carry on,IT WON'T.You need to react in the same way as if you're swimming in the sea and a Great White Shark is coming towards you.it's LIFE OR DEATH!

Hold on there Rambo, how many people did you have to kill so far to stay alive ? I can't believe the state of some people expecting a fight at every point. Ready to shoot or stab others before they stab you. You might stab the wrong one who is innocent and just asking for a light.

You are talking about striking first, the American thing just look how many times that went wrong.

I'm sure that people that invest a lot of time in being well-prepared to fight, end up getting involved in such situations more frequently than the rest of us. Not to mention living lifestyles and in such locations where they are likely to occur.

For myself, I haven't had any direct experience of any violence at all outside my home since I was twelve.

Having a psycho bitch screaming and waving a knife around in the kitchen, well that's another topic, but even that was settled calmly in the end.

Knifes,guns and other obvious weapons are illegal to carry in Thailand,however a large spray can of Raid can be carried and will be a pretty good deterrent to being attacked.

As long as the attackers are not wearing helmets that is.

What to do to protect yourself if you are just taking a stroll at night is not easy to say,most people let their guard down when on holiday.

Where does it say they are illegal to carry?

The cops sell them to you <deleted>! :)

Batons are ok, pepper spray is ok, knives are ok.

I normally carry pepper spray and a baton (foldable). Had to use the former twice on rabid dogs :)

Don't listen to the liberals on here who say you shouldn't do so they are living in fantasy land...

Police forces around the world always advise not to resist during a street robbery. Reading news reports of robberies in Pattaya, victims are only injured when resisting a street robbery. My wife was robbed in a street attack in Malaysia, did not resist and wasn't injured. The local police stated tourists are sometimes severely injured when resisting and she was correct not to resist.

What is so different in Thailand that posters are saying arm yourself and fight back?

Well mankind has been arming themselves ever since we first fashioned tools to protect against attackers so I don't see now being any different.

Also in the USA and other sensible places they do say you should fight back with all your might and not cower down like a dog. :)

Against civilians annoyed at a loudmouth farang etc yes.

Against some ya-baa <deleted> out to rob you it's not likely to be Thai Rak Thai anymore.

Well mankind has been arming themselves ever since we first fashioned tools to protect against attackers so I don't see now being any different.

Also in the USA and other sensible places they do say you should fight back with all your might and not cower down like a dog. smile.png

Please provide the source info where police jurisdictions in the USA or other western countries say you should fight back during a street robbery.

Ok situation 1, someone tries to rob me and has no weapon sure i would resist.

Situation 2 someone has a knife, probably wont resist better to loose a bit of money then to get some cuts that will stay with you for weeks. At that point your thinking, hmm I should have paid up and not have cuts. They would seriously hamper me working and enjoying my life, and not worth the money i loose.

Too bad if you were wrong about your assumptions and you attacked someone who wasnt after you.

Try explaining that theory to the courts or the police!

cut throat razors are not technically a weopon.

I teach self defence to smithy, can see many people ideas on this thread are going to lead to them getting blindsided.

And he still needs pepper spray and a stun gun thumbsup.gif

And he needs to attack before the other makes a move, seems like he wants to fight. Did not think that was reason behind self defense. The only guys that i used to know where those kick boxing idiots that needed to show off and start fights.