Self Protection

saviorsoul0872

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP: Your biggest risk is driving a motor bike late at night and having an accident. A lot more injury and death driving a motorbike in Pattaya/Jomtien area due to other DUI drivers, than actual direct personal attacks, that are relatively rare given the millions of tourists/Thais visiting every year.

Knifes,guns and other obvious weapons are illegal to carry in Thailand,however a large spray can of Raid can be carried and will be a pretty good deterrent to being attacked.

As long as the attackers are not wearing helmets that is.

What to do to protect yourself if you are just taking a stroll at night is not easy to say,most people let their guard down when on holiday.

I'm not on holiday I live here.

I have one of these in the car.Unobtrusive and useful:

Also I have it, sometimes, in the plane. No problems with anyone.

Because as a Farang, I would not try to use illegal things, to protect myself.

In case, you are successful, it can cost you a lot of money.

On the motorcycle, I think, because I do not stop, it wouldn't be helpful. If they kick you off the bike, ....!

Wow thats awesome

Did I say I was in a place that was potentially dangerous? Seems to me like a majority of people on here tend to avoid conflict which I have no problem with. However, I'm a realist. It doesn't matter where you are or live EVENTUALLY something will happen to you. And I would rather be prepared. And saying not to "go to dangerous places" is absurd. Do you think a movie theatre in Colorado was a dangerous place? No, but many people still got shot.... So one day when your walked to your safe condo and someone finally does jump out to rob you after 15 years wouldn't you rather have some kind of defense?

No I don't "like" public violence, yes I do like MMA or UFC, but I do NOT go out LOOKING for a fight EVER. But if someone is going to threaten me, touch my wife, or try and rob me yeah I'm gonna either get my ass whooped or beat someone elses ass because I'm not going to back down unless theres a gun pointed at me AND I don't have one.

If you carry a weapon, you're raising the stakes.

Someone who tries to rob you etc, might not necessarily use a knife, if they think that you're unarmed. As they'll think that they're in control etc, rather they'll just try to intimidate you.

If you pull out a knife / baton etc, sure they might run, or they might just skip the conversation and go for a killshot.

And if you get into a fight with them, and win, then they might decide to revenge the next day by trying to track you down with half a dozen of their mates.

Best course of action, is to keep the stakes low by trying to limit the involvement of weapons. Your mouth is your best weapon against thieves, trying to talk your way out of a situation is very low risk compared to trying to fight your way out of the situation (So long as you're not trying to threaten them of course lol, because they'd be stupid).

I'm a woman so I guess I should have some form of protection on me... However I try to stay out of trouble as much as possible and avoid any dangerous dark places if I'm on my own. But if it all came down to it I do carry my fists and my forehead. I would punch them or headbutt them right in the nose and make their eyes water. ;) (I have actually done this when I was mugged in the UK)

• Like 1

On the motorcycle, I think, because I do not stop, it wouldn't be helpful. If they kick you off the bike, ....!

Wow,he sure showed that dummy and melon not to mess with him!

Good job they gave him time to collapse it first to set up a strike,Somchai and friends might not be so generous cornering you outside the 7/11,give me a stun gun looking like a mobile phone anyday!

giggle.gif

The best advantage of this umbrella is: you can use it for rainy days. Even windy rainy days doesn't destroy it. It works perfect for all kind of street dogs and still can be used for sun/rain shade.

It was a present, and till I have it, my cost for re-buying bad quality umbrellas is zero!

That's why I like it. I never bothered, to take it on the bike, because I'm not looking for fights.

The gang-mentality makes me think, it's not the best place, to look for that.

The number one place in the statistic of Asian countries, for possessing firearms illegally, supports this thinking.

Also a good 'weapon' is a nice print magazine, even a newspaper is a dam_n good and handy thing, in case you are in need.

But my needs are on other subjects. coffee1.gif

Edited by noob7

Good job they gave him time to collapse it first to set up a strike,Somchai and friends might not be so generous cornering you outside the 7/11,give me a stun gun looking like a mobile phone anyday!

giggle.gif

The best advantage of this umbrella is: you can use it for rainy days. Even windy rainy days doesn't destroy it. It works perfect for all kind of street dogs and still can be used for sun/rain shade.

It was a present, and till I have it, my cost for re-buying bad quality umbrellas is zero!

That's why I like it. I never bothered, to take it on the bike, because I'm not looking for fights.

The number one place in the statistic of Asian countries, for possessing firearms illegally, supports this thinking.

Also a good 'weapon' is a nice print magazine, even a newspaper is a dam_n good and handy thing, in case you are in need.

the umbrella look impressive indeed. in a stabbing motion, do you think it could penetrate skin with enough force?

IMO doing something like this only attracts more trouble to you.

Keep your nose clean, your head down and your wits about you and you won't have any trouble.

"won't have any trouble" I think you should have said" less chance to have any trouble.

There is another thread on TV at the moment, about a young English couple, who were cowardly attacked in Ao-Nang by a group of local Thai's,this has now been reported in the U,K. Media, and now another young English couple are saying they were also attacked without provocation in Ao-Nang last sunday.So yes keep your head down and wits about you

And MAYBE you won't have any trouble,that's the best you can do.

giggle.gif

the umbrella look impressive indeed. in a stabbing motion, do you think it could penetrate skin with enough force?

Penetrate? Only with the Tip, yes I think so.

But a lot of bruises will do a good job. You only need to know, where it hurts most.

I used it once, rainy day, I walked around with umbrella. A drunk Farang wanted to touch a very pretty friend of mine, but she had no intention, to let that happen.

He had is hands bandaged for minimum 4 days, but couldn't remember, who drove over his fingers. whistling.gif

And hit the head, it will do some harm, you were asking for!

Edited by noob7
  • Like 1

"won't have any trouble" I think you should have said" less chance to have any trouble.

There is another thread on TV at the moment, about a young English couple, who were cowardly attacked in Ao-Nang by a group of local Thai's,this has now been reported in the U,K. Media, and now another young English couple are saying they were also attacked without provocation in Ao-Nang last sunday.So yes keep your head down and wits about you

And MAYBE you won't have any trouble,that's the best you can do.

Yes fair point.

If I get the odds down to the point that it's the very rare random incidents only, that's the best one can hope for.

I see people doing things all the time that only increases the odds they'll run into "bad luck".

Does anyone carry collapsable Batons or some kind of self protection while on their bike late at night?

I don't, but I'm living in CM. However if I (not in this life) would stay in the places you mentioned, I would probably carry something.

I'm with Semper, I am also in CM and carry nothing at all, what would be the point? Pattaya though, hmmm, should consider a good reliable assault rifle and that is just for the taxis. Now as to some real protection I am thinking an Uzi backed up with perhaps a decent RPG. Transport, forget Toyotas, get yourself a nice second hand Bradleys with full armament, that will get you through most situations short of going into the Russian areas. Now if you plan that...

• Like 1

I used to win all my fights by about 50 metres tongue.png now I just keep a low profile and don't look for trouble. I am told that a small water pistol filled with ammonia don't have make their eyes sting.

Also does wonders to your gonads if it starts leaking in your pocket..............thumbsup.gif

Please don't tell me you would carry it in a handbag...........sad.png

it rarely works. you either forget to bring it with you each time, or cant use it in time. even with dogs i gave up carrying weapons, and just resorted to using what was on hand should the need arise.

some mace on a key chain may work if your pinned down and can get an arm free (not likely). more likely running will be the better option.

weapons are not good defensive tools, but usually looking to get used.

what planet are you from?

Does anyone carry collapsable Batons or some kind of self protection while on their bike late at night?

I don't, but I'm living in CM. However if I (not in this life) would stay in the places you mentioned, I would probably carry something.

I'm with Semper, I am also in CM and carry nothing at all, what would be the point? Pattaya though, hmmm, should consider a good reliable assault rifle and that is just for the taxis. Now as to some real protection I am thinking an Uzi backed up with perhaps a decent RPG. Transport, forget Toyotas, get yourself a nice second hand Bradleys with full armament, that will get you through most situations short of going into the Russian areas. Now if you plan that...

I'm always puzzled by why farangs feel threatened in Pattaya. By all accounts its filled with former US Navy Seals, the British SAS retire there and I've no doubt that Russian Spetsnas have active service units there. And your worried about a bunch of skinny cowardly Thai's ? Shame on you.

They know that street fights are more likely to be fights to the death/may escalate to using weapons/etc. here rather than the 'counting on the crowd' to separate the two 'boxers' before someone stops breathing or gets their brains on the sidewalk type of fights.

smile.png

Edited by Heng

They know that street fights are more likely to be fights to the death/may escalate to using weapons/etc. here rather than the 'counting on the crowd' to separate the two 'boxers' before someone stops breathing or gets their brains on the sidewalk type of fights.

Of course they don't stop it, the crowds love to see the blood flow, I'm sure would pay good money for it if they could, like the old gladiator matches of Rome. Plus the public benefits of the Darwin effect, it's all good. . .