Fizzy-Drink Drive Concerns Thai Health Advocates

webfact

Uh? Maybe the government should stop subsidizing sugar.

Maybe the government should stop talking porkies as there is nowhere near 12 teaspoons of sweetner in a can 0.33 lliter of softdrink.

When I make my own icetea from Tea powder I add 4 teaspoons of sweetner to 2 liter of lquid and it almost tastes too sweet already.

That is the newspaper reporting.

12 spoons and there wouldn't be much space for liquid. 6 or 7 teaspoons in a coke i think.

And they do mandate a domestic price lower than export.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Some (just some) of the reasons not to drink any form of soft drink or soda's as some name them...

Phosphoric Acid: Interferes with the body's ability to use calcium, which leads to osteoporosis, softening of the teeth and bones. Phosphoric acid also neutralizes hydrochloric acid in your stomach, which interferes with digestion, making it difficult to utilize nutrients.

Sugar: It is a proven fact sugar increases insulin levels, resulting in high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, premature aging and more negative side effects. One can of drink puts you over 100 percent of the RDA of sugar.

Aspartame: This lethal chemical is used as a sugar substitute in diet drinks. There are over 92 different health side effects including brain tumors, birth defects, diabetes, emotional disorders and epilepsy/seizures. Further, when aspartame is stored for long periods of time or kept in warm areas it changes to methanol, an alcohol that converts to formaldehyde and formic acid, which are known carcinogens.

Caffeine: Caffeinated drinks can cause jitters, insomnia, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, elevated blood cholesterol levels, vitamin and mineral depletion, breast lumps, birth defects, and perhaps some forms of cancer.

Soda (carbonating) drinks is one of the main reasons, nutritionally speaking, why many people suffer health problems. Aside from the negative effects of the soda itself, drinking a lot of soda is likely to leave you with little appetite for vegetables, protein and other food that your body needs.

Seems to me any carbonated or sweet drinks laced with sugars and caffeine including sports drinks like Gatorade and Red Bull should also be scrutinised but demand and craving of these drinks will outweigh the sensibility of health. Taxing them will do nothing other than giving the Govt more revenue. Educating the public is far more intelligent and therein lies the exact reason Thailand won't.

The other day I received an email that went like this : Do you suggest I should go in seclusion right away before I infect other people ?

Subject: FW: Health information on ASPARTAME

WORLD ENVIRONMENTAL CONFERENCE

and the MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS FOUNDATION

F.D.A. ISSUING FOR COLLUSION WITH MONSANTO

Article written by Nancy Markle (1120197)

I have spent several days lecturing at the WORLD ENVIRONMENTAL ............

http://urbanlegends....brary/blasp.htm

You and About.Com are obviously part of the vast conspiracy bankrolled by the immense and all powerful aspartame industry.

I'm being sarcastic but you will probably be hearing that from the tin foil hat crowd soon.

Sugar drinks are the "gate way drug" to high consumption of alcohol based drinks.

Which have a more directly assimilated sugar source,

and higher level of sugars, causing an easier propensity for

addiction to the sugar fix the body wants to mantain is

artificially created faux equilibrium.

No sugars causes a sugar crash, fast replacement means feeling better soonest.

Alcoholic drinks and sweet ones are the fastes up take method,

'and are designed to be as attractively packaged as fizzy sodas have been.

But with a 'sexual success' component added.

Some (just some) of the reasons not to drink any form of soft drink or soda's as some name them...

Phosphoric Acid: Interferes with the body's ability to use calcium, which leads to osteoporosis, softening of the teeth and bones. Phosphoric acid also neutralizes hydrochloric acid in your stomach, which interferes with digestion, making it difficult to utilize nutrients.

Sugar: It is a proven fact sugar increases insulin levels, resulting in high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, premature aging and more negative side effects. One can of drink puts you over 100 percent of the RDA of sugar.

Aspartame: This lethal chemical is used as a sugar substitute in diet drinks. There are over 92 different health side effects including brain tumors, birth defects, diabetes, emotional disorders and epilepsy/seizures. Further, when aspartame is stored for long periods of time or kept in warm areas it changes to methanol, an alcohol that converts to formaldehyde and formic acid, which are known carcinogens.

Caffeine: Caffeinated drinks can cause jitters, insomnia, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, elevated blood cholesterol levels, vitamin and mineral depletion, breast lumps, birth defects, and perhaps some forms of cancer.

Soda (carbonating) drinks is one of the main reasons, nutritionally speaking, why many people suffer health problems. Aside from the negative effects of the soda itself, drinking a lot of soda is likely to leave you with little appetite for vegetables, protein and other food that your body needs.

Seems to me any carbonated or sweet drinks laced with sugars and caffeine including sports drinks like Gatorade and Red Bull should also be scrutinised but demand and craving of these drinks will outweigh the sensibility of health. Taxing them will do nothing other than giving the Govt more revenue. Educating the public is far more intelligent and therein lies the exact reason Thailand won't.

We need a breakdown like this for Beer. That would be very interesting.

Most of what you claim to be facts here are just unsubstantiated b******s! Quote: When Aspartam is stored in warm areas it changes to methanol!!!

First, I have edited the swear word you used...no need for it at all.

Second, I have googled about Aspartame and there are many sites which talk about that very point, i.e. the reference to it changing to methanol.

Read this link to start with http://www.mac-archive.com/ns/side.html

Very worrying sad.png

As someone who has spent the past few years in the area of food science and information I find it distressing to see this type of crap being spread in Thailand. If people are really concerned about blood sugar levels they will stop eating white rice. It turns out that blood sugar levels after eating a gram of white rice are just about the same as blood sugar levels after eating a gram of sugar. Check out the Glycemic Index for more information.

This is just another way for people who distrust corporations (and who doesn't?) to blame them for what are really behavioral issues and a decline in physical activity. There is one whacko in the US named Barry Popkin who started the whole sugar tax crusade and who blames Coca Cola for the global obesity epidemic. He doesn't talk about the other side, which is that if you tax sugar and people consume diet colas then there is another school of thought that says diet drinks do not satisfy hunger like sugared drinks do and lead to overeating.

One thing I have learned after years of media monitoring is that any food you can name has somebody who will tell you that it is bad for you. The best advice is to ignore the hype, eat a balanced diet (including snacks in moderation) and get plenty of exercise. If you are overweight, eat less and exercise more, repeat as needed.

Note, I do not and never have worked for the soft drink industry. I am just interested in good science and unhappy with the food nannies who think they know best but usually don't.

As someone who has spent the past few years in the area of food science and information I find it distressing to see this type of crap being spread in Thailand. If people are really concerned about blood sugar levels they will stop eating white rice. It turns out that blood sugar levels after eating a gram of white rice are just about the same as blood sugar levels after eating a gram of sugar. Check out the Glycemic Index for more information.

This is just another way for people who distrust corporations (and who doesn't?) to blame them for what are really behavioral issues and a decline in physical activity. There is one whacko in the US named Barry Popkin who started the whole sugar tax crusade and who blames Coca Cola for the global obesity epidemic. He doesn't talk about the other side, which is that if you tax sugar and people consume diet colas then there is another school of thought that says diet drinks do not satisfy hunger like sugared drinks do and lead to overeating.

One thing I have learned after years of media monitoring is that any food you can name has somebody who will tell you that it is bad for you. The best advice is to ignore the hype, eat a balanced diet (including snacks in moderation) and get plenty of exercise. If you are overweight, eat less and exercise more, repeat as needed.

Note, I do not and never have worked for the soft drink industry. I am just interested in good science and unhappy with the food nannies who think they know best but usually don't.

100% agree and the best post here so far, white rice is not the only bulking food to cause the body to produce sugar, you can add spuds bread and many others, as you say eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and veg, apples are very good to eat - one a day does keep the doctor away

Most of what you claim to be facts here are just unsubstantiated b******s! Quote: When Aspartam is stored in warm areas it changes to methanol!!!

Second, I have googled about Aspartame and there are many sites which talk about that very point, i.e. the reference to it changing to methanol.

Read this link to start with http://www.mac-archi...om/ns/side.html

Very worrying sad.png

That's a real stunning article 55555555

Some of the 92 long-term and immediate adverse effects of aspartame ingestion are:

Each and every human being on this planet, who may have never in his life been near a softdrink, will have experienced at least 5 of the effects listed on that website.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Oh, by the way regarding it changing to Methanol, I drink a lot of coke zero and use Gasohol in my bike, do you think I will be able to fill up my own tank just by urinating in it ?laugh.pnglaugh.png

Edited by jbrain

Read this link to start with http://www.mac-archi...om/ns/side.html

Very worrying sad.png

First of all, read the forum rules! You can copy from a post but have no right to change what a poster has written. Whether you like words or not. And <deleted> is not a swear word except possibly in a very narrow mind.

Coffee was no good for you and now it is good for you. The same with wine, beer and other things. Using palm oil for cooking was very dangerous. Now they find it is no worse than other vegetable oils.

My advice is everything in moderation. I simply can't take seriously all these dire health threats. Some of our health addicts are definitely loony tunes. It's amazing that with all the deadly poisons in our food and water that we are living longer than ever.

The one that always amuses me is the fluoride in the water. It is so deadly that it even prevents tooth cavities which it is intended to do. Genetically modified grains and vegetables are keeping many people from starving to death. Is that a bad thing also?

• Like 1