Cbr Rear Rim Bent

macknife

It's a new model CBR150 and I recently came back from a 1000km round trip. I was back a few days and noticed a point on the rear rim is bent out slightly. I did hit the odd divot in the road now and again and one was particularly hard. So I presumed the damage came from that, however there is no damage on the opposite side(wouldn't the divot have damaged both sides?) and no damage to the front wheel. Actually it looks like someone has stuck a tire iron or screwdriver between the tire and rim trying to pop the tire out.

The bike still runs perfectly fine but obviously I'm slightly concerned. The bend is small, maybe 2-3mm. the question is, is it still safe to ride? Does it need to be replaced or could it just be bent(hammered) back into shape.

Thanks in advance,

Mac.

I think you mean a dent in your rim, a bend rim / wheel is when the radial runout is not true. It you have a 2mm dent in your rim its easily repaired, especially if you never had a dent before, twice a dent on the same spot can cause metal fatigue.

If your wheel has 2mm (0.079 inch) radial runout you should replace the wheel, Honda advices to replace the wheel if more than 0.030 inch (0.76mm) radial runout.

It's not a dent. Like i said 'Actually it looks like someone has stuck a tire iron or screwdriver between the tire and rim trying to pop the tire out.' So it is bent outwards slightly and slightly compressed. So the inner part of the rim is slightly pushed downwards, so the radial runout is indeed not true, though it's barely noticeable.

It's not a dent. Like i said 'Actually it looks like someone has stuck a tire iron or screwdriver between the tire and rim trying to pop the tire out.' So it is bent outwards slightly and slightly compressed. So the inner part of the rim is slightly pushed downwards, so the radial runout is indeed not true, though it's barely noticeable.

So your wheel swings from one side to the other side on the wheel axle? Or at one location on your rim the sidewall of your rim has moved outwards?

Edited by Richard-BKK

That is easily repaired, bit a light hammer and a piece of wood, use the wood as a barrier between the hammer and the rim... Try to do with with as less hammering power as possible, the quicker you move the rim material the weaker it will become...

• Like 1

I would try what Richard has suggested. Remove the tire, than lay the wheel flat on the (even) ground. Maybe lay something under it so it doesn't get scratches. But also make sure it will not bounce while hammering. Than gently hammer down the dent with a hammer and a small piece of hard wood (to protect the rim). And if it doesn't work buy a new wheel wink.png (How much is a new rear wheel for the "new" CBR 150?)

Sorry, i never did this. But this is how i would try to do it. Maybe someone here has done such thing and has suggestions to do it better?

The rim doesn't look to bad. I think if you just hammer it a little, it will be fine.

If you want a new mag wheel it will cost about 3k. I'm not sure if that's the price for one side or both. You might want to just walk in to your local dealer and ask them how much it would cost.

You might even get lucky and they'll fix it for your for a few beers!!