Visa For Stop Over To Taiwan

My son after his PhD for Chinese wanted to come to see me in Thailand. He has next year a post-graduate research job in Taipei. During the meantime he wants to translate a Chinese never translated "holy book" of a Buddhist Chinese Master in a Buddhist Wat in Thailand. What he has to do for a visa (90 days)?

He should contact one of the honorary consulates in the UK or Germany for his visa they are normally more flexible and give better service than the embassies or official consulates.

Contact info here: http://www.guidetothailand.com/thailand-travel-information/honcon-europe.php

He will need a copy of your passport photo page and extension of stay stamp and his birth certificate to prove that he is your son to get a single entry non-o visa to visit you.

I believe the question is about a visa for a stopover stay in Taiwan - would appreciate poster advising if that is the case as has been moved to the wrong area if it is.

Sorry for the inconvenience, I correct myself.

My son finished recently his PhD for Mandarin and Chinese Buddhism in Bristol (UK). Now he has no job, no home address in Germany because I stay in Thailand. In the meantime he has an offer of his ancient university in Taipei to be sponsored research assistant for Buddhism. But it takes time.

He wants to come to Thailand to translate some never in a western language translated teachings of Chinese famous monks together with Mandarin speaking Thai Theravada monks. This job he wants to do in a Buddhist wat where I have my clinique. The cheapest way to survive, UK and Germany are to expensive for devoted researchers. Visum for Taiwan and even Honkong, no problem - but 90 days in Thailand. We can arrange with tourist visa in Mae Sot (100 km away), but incertain.

The Consulat in Stuttgart has all my papers, I have my visum by post, but my son has no home address (citizen of the world). May be he has to give an old one (like me).

I want to do everythin in a correct way (if possible).Thank you for your help.

My mistake on post title - read the "to" as "in" Taipei. Sorry.

He can not legally work in Thailand on anything but a non immigrant entry and having a work permit so unless Wat can provide official paperwork for such translation service it seems would have to be a hobby and not done officially if using tourist visa which would need to be obtained prior to entry. Unfortunately you have still not said where he currently is (UK or Germany or elsewhere?) so specific consulate can not be advised but it would seem a single entry tourist visa allowing 60 days stay on entry and then 30 days extension would be the simple answer although he will likely have to have some address, even if only the current guest house or where he is staying. He might not be able to board flight without a visa if entry is to Thailand as 30 day visa exempt should have an exit ticket in that time. If you are obtaining visas for yourself from Stuttgart (rather then being here on an extension of stay) it does not appear you have legal status in Thailand for him to obtain a non immigrant entry?

My mistake on post title - read the "to" as "in" Taipei. Sorry.

He can not legally work in Thailand on anything but a non immigrant entry and having a work permit so unless Wat can provide official paperwork for such translation service it seems would have to be a hobby and not done officially if using tourist visa which would need to be obtained prior to entry. Unfortunately you have still not said where he currently is (UK or Germany or elsewhere?) so specific consulate can not be advised but it would seem a single entry tourist visa allowing 60 days stay on entry and then 30 days extension would be the simple answer although he will likely have to have some address, even if only the current guest house or where he is staying. He might not be able to board flight without a visa if entry is to Thailand as 30 day visa exempt should have an exit ticket in that time. If you are obtaining visas for yourself from Stuttgart (rather then being here on an extension of stay) it does not appear you have legal status in Thailand for him to obtain a non immigrant entry?

I love your answer and I make a big wai.

I answer with an experience I developped in Thailand.

Thai and Farangs are elephant breeders.

Everytime a Thai sees a small problem, he breeds a moskito to become an elephant (for a farang)

Everytime a Farang sees a small problem, he breeds a moskito to become an elephant (for a Thai)

The middle way of the Buddha is the solution.

Even looking to the help of the Thai Visa Team, I have to admit that elephant breeding is common use.

But we all love elephants. Thank you.

Problem resolved: Consulat Hull (UK) can do everything. University Leeds, where a good friend of my son and my ancient student is professor for Thai, has good contacts to promote visa for Thai to study in UK and inverse.

Edited by lungmi