Preparing To Apply For Settlement Visa

hello all...

just a quicky.....

I need to get my Thai wedding certificate translated to english, for the visa application.... easy enough, but a `sworn translation`??

what exactly do i do??... get it translated and then take it to the UK embassy to get the translation approved/stamped??

get it translated and take it to the thai fco to get it approved/stamped??

the lady in the translation shop wasnt very helpful......I thought this would just be routine... but im a bit confused as what to do at the moment!? ;-s

any help appreciated..................thanks

Note: This info is from the UK embassy - if youre not a brit please check your own embassy site as certain things may differ.

I didnt and still havent got my thai wedding cert translated into english - and it wasnt required to be translated when we did the visa business at the embassy... either way

all the bits and pieces that we needed to be translated and sworn we did at the same place.... see below for address and link at bottom for more info

Have the affirmation authenticated and translation certified

* All Thai Registrars will require authentication of the British Consular Official’s signature and certification of the Thai translation. This must be obtained from:

The Legalisation and Naturalisation Division,

Department of Consular Affairs,

Ministry of Foreign Affairs. (www.mfa.go.th)

123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Laksi District, Bangkok 11120

Tel. 0– 2575 1056–59, 0–2981 7171

(08.30 – 11.30 and 13.00 – 15.30)

* There are two fees available: -

1. Baht 400 per document, and it takes up to two full days or

2. Baht 800 per document for the same day service.

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717516870

Edited by rio666uk

Thanks for the reply.... yes I am English

I was under the impression that i had to get a `sworn translation` of the thai wedding certificate..... think i read that on the british embassy site!! not 100% sure

so you just used the cetificate ..as it is,..in thai...... and it was ok????

cheers

andy

Note: This info is from the UK embassy - if youre not a brit please check your own embassy site as certain things may differ.

I didnt and still havent got my thai wedding cert translated into english - and it wasnt required to be translated when we did the visa business at the embassy... either way

all the bits and pieces that we needed to be translated and sworn we did at the same place.... see below for address and link at bottom for more info

Have the affirmation authenticated and translation certified

* All Thai Registrars will require authentication of the British Consular Official’s signature and certification of the Thai translation. This must be obtained from:

The Legalisation and Naturalisation Division,

Department of Consular Affairs,

Ministry of Foreign Affairs. (www.mfa.go.th)

123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Laksi District, Bangkok 11120

Tel. 0– 2575 1056–59, 0–2981 7171

(08.30 – 11.30 and 13.00 – 15.30)

* There are two fees available: -

1. Baht 400 per document, and it takes up to two full days or

2. Baht 800 per document for the same day service.

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717516870

yes you did read that correctly - but its not required for the visa..

ive copied and pasted this from their site - its not required as part of the gubbins for the settlement visa - however it could be handy to have it translated for use in UK....

it was one of those things that i didnt get round to doing - will have it done next time we're there.

********************************************************************************

The Thai marriage certificate will be in Thai only. You may wish to commission a “sworn translation” of the marriage certificate from a translation bureau, so that you may use the document for legal purposes in the U.K.

********************************************************************************

the link to the embassy page i sent in my last post runs through the whole process of what needs to be done and in what order.... you could of course get an agency to do all the legwork for you at a cost - personally i prefered to do it all myself - job satisfaction and all that

good luck

Cheers for your help....

Im going to do it all myself.....

shes a good girl from a decent family, with a university degree so that should help..

the only worry ive got is that im living out here at the moment, so until i get back to england, I havnt got a job..... although ive got a fair bit of money in the bank, due to selling my house before i came out here.....im hoping that will be ok....

also im going to have to use my mum and dads house as my residence in UK ..until i can get back and rent a place.............(its a large 3 bedroom house, with lots of spare space)

im going to go back to uk a month or so before her interview is expected....and get a job/flat ,so it should help at the interview...... think this would help....???

Very strange - so far youre doing everything that i did last september.. still there you go.

Not having a job and not having any funds in the bank to support your wife would be a problem.

However if you have one or the other this changes things considerably.

Using your mum and dads house as a base is fine - although i believe that if you are doing this, as with a house of your own, you will need to provide some information regarding number of people living there - number of bedrooms etc etc etc.... I did the same thing and got the old man to write a letter explaining the size of the house, and that he was happy for us to stay there indefinately etc etc.

the safest advice i can give - is the more evidence you can provide to the visa officer, the better... if youre returning to UK beforehand you should be able to sort out some work - even if its just a letter from an employment agency confirming that youre on their books...

If you can find yourself a flat - be sure to use your tenancy agreement etc as support evidence too. If youre not going back out to thailand in time for the interview - post the agreement out to your mrs.... you may get away with photocopies of somethings but not others.. you will need to check this on the brit embassy website. see link below.

where abouts are you based in the UK?

all the best

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1065721614065

Your circumstances are not unusual, so I don't think that they'll present too much of a problem.

You should support the application with evidence of your savings and, if you are then employed, evidence of your job. If you have no job, you can either rely upon your savings until such time as you find work, or ask a family member to act as a financial guarantor. If you do this, the family member will need to demonstrate their ability to take care of you both should the need arise.

Scouse.

Cheers for the advice chaps....

Ive still got around £60,000 in the bank from selling my house, .and my mum and dad are sending a letter out with bank statements..... saying they have a 3 bedroom house etc etc

so from what you have both said......Hopefully that should be ok

I was planning on signing up with an agency, (I was with them briefly on a previous visit to sunny old england)....as soon as possible on my return,..so i should be able to get a letter from them to send out, for when the mrs has her interview......

ps I`m from London................... but am planning on settling in Brighton with the mrs

cheers..

andy