1989 Yamaha 450Cc--Do You Know This Bike?

heybruce

A Thai friend of a friend is selling his 1989 Yamaha for 85K baht. It has been modified at least once and now has no gauges, but he says he has all the original parts, along with current registration. I didn't drive it but took a look; the front brake definitely doesn't feel right and he told me the suspension gives the bike a circus ride feel. However the body looks solid and the engine is supposed to be good. It will definitely need some work and I have no experience with bike fixer-uppers, so I'm hoping for some help. Do you think this bike is worth the effort? What is a good price for it? I apologize for the poor quality picture in the attachment, my camera phone is crap.

post-27091-0-41664200-1351448985_thumb.j

By the looks of it, it seems to be a Yamaha XV 535 in some countries called Virago, 450cc.... strange cc mayby a Japanese homemarket version.if not mayby a recycled green book. XV 535"s were made from 1988 until???? , there where virago's 250/500/535/750/920/1100 , but this one definitly looks like a XV 535.

It's difficult to judge a bike by a picture, and the most imported things are: paperwork ( green book) and which parts you will have to replace: can you get those parts easy, and .... at what price.

Before purchasing a project bike, be sure you know these things and do some research or you're in for some headaches.

Also the asking price sounds a bit high to me. ( does the engine run??)

Good luck and make no hasty decisions.

Dutchbike.

Its a Virago for sure ! I think that it is more likely the 400 cc model. It might have had a rebore to take it to 450 cc ? Early models suffered from starter motor problems but this was corrected in later models. I have an old 1000 cc one. very torquey motor but suffers a little from the rear cylinder overheating on long rides due to the chrome work added. A warning to others. be careful what you add chrome to as it may look good but effect the performance.

I also only paid 80,000 Baht for my 1000 cc model with a book so think this very overpriced at that price

Looks like a Virago but the carb arrangement looks different to the XV 535, maybe a 400. The price he is asking seems way too high for a bike with TLC needed and suspension issues, although all credit to him for saying so.

45,000-50,000k would be a fair price depending on what work needs doing to the front end.... This is assuming the engine is solid.

I saw a 400 Virago for sale a while back on Thanon Srinakarindra for 65k and that was restored and ready to go.

*EDIT* The one you have pictured has Twin front disc brakes, is it a later model than what is stated in the book, or is this the larger engined bike but on a dodgy book?

You should be able to view the engine's CC some where on the block smile.png

Edited by karlos
  • Like 1

Thanks to all for the information. The bike looked like it might be fun, but apparently it's not a great price and there are some big unknowns about the work required. It's possible it just needs to have a brake adjustment, new shocks and original gauges installed, or it may need much more. I don't think I need a project like that at this time.