Pinpointing Weaknesses In Our Teaching System: Interview

webfact

If you are asking a legitimate question, then it is OK. If, however, you are baiting another teacher into an off-topic discussion, then there is going to be a problem.

The topic is about weaknesses in our teaching system.

• Like 1

If you are asking a legitimate question, then it is OK. If, however, you are baiting another teacher into an off-topic discussion, then there is going to be a problem.

The topic is about weaknesses in our teaching system.

It's a genuine question - International schools are still under the MoE, so I'm curious about how they deal with underachieving students. Passing them through the system without remedial instruction or other measures is certainly a weakness in the system, as it is in other educational systems around the world.

Edited by culicine

Actually, you might have hit on another 'weakness' in the system... remedial instruction, for money. Parents have to pay for mandatory after-school (and weekend) classes. Principals divert some money to the teachers. But, keep the lion share for themselves.

Students are exhausted after spending long hours at school, combined with long commutes. And parents are sucked dry because they're between a rock and hard place. It's pretty close to extortion.

I question whether all that extra remedial instruction is necessary or that it makes any difference in student scores.

Maybe the bottom line is money, not face...

• Like 1

Actually, you might have hit on another 'weakness' in the system... remedial instruction, for money. Parents have to pay for mandatory after-school (and weekend) classes. Principals divert some money to the teachers. But, keep the lion share for themselves.

Students are exhausted after spending long hours at school, combined with long commutes. And parents are sucked dry because they're between a rock and hard place. It's pretty close to extortion.

I question whether all that extra remedial instruction is necessary or that it makes any difference in student scores.

Maybe the bottom line is money, not face...

A major weakness in the system, as I see it, is that the school curriculum / instruction is inadequate for students entry to universities. The feel the need to go to extra tutorial classes (not just remedial classes), after school and on weekends. Hence they school grades suffer. It might work for a few highly motivated students but on the whole tutorial schools are about making money and don't really benefit the majority of students who sit through hours of lectures (with no chance for discussion and feedback). When i was at school, I don't recall anyone ever going to extra classes - if you did well at school then you would do well in your external exams. it would seem impossible to create that kind of system here - too many people well connected stand to lose too much money.

• Like 1

A teacher in thailand, especially at a small secondary school, is snowed under with additional work that has nothing to do with teaching, but with the finances and administration of the school.

The government should help schools hire more administrative personell so teacher can focus on teaching, instead of doing it as a side job. And hire teachers that are competent in the subject that they teach.

Why are there so many incompetent Thai employees working in Banks, Offices,etc. Because when Thai students finish 12th grade, they cannot fail their exams. Most students are not interested in learning, especially boys. Many don't bother going to classes and just hang about in groups around the school grounds, passing teachers just walk by and don't bother asking them why they are not in class. I was a teacher here for 3 years.

Education is not a priority in Thai schools, they are far too militaristic, shaving boys heads and cutting girls hair at the bottom of their ears. In Kindergarten, there are 3 year olds dressed in uniforms similar to older children. if they would pay more attention to teaching than being so obsessed with how the children look and their hairstyles, then maybe they would get somewhere.

"Schools in the Northeast had the lowest average scores in TIMSS compared to other parts of the country, whereas those in Bangkok achieved the highest average scores, followed by the North, Central, and South regions."

It will all change once they've got their tablets and WIFI, even without electricity.-- giggle.gif

I don't think you have to teach children to think. My hunch is that you have to teach them to not think.

Children's natural curiosity and creativity peak during kindergarten and early primary but can decline thereafter. Thus good teaching during Primary education is critical to maintaining and developing these characteristics. Most of Thai education is about making kids remember huge amounts of information and to regurgitate it on an exam. There isn't a lot of thinking involved with a lot of these activities. I think that's one of the main differences, apart from learning englihs itself, that foreign teachers can provide their students here.

I was questioned (possibly baited?) about the differences in my experiences teaching in a private Thai-run school and in an international school in Thailand. The international school is indeed an accredited, world-wide recognized institution. I won't specifically name the school, I have a suspicion that is against forum rules, but I WILL say that tuition is over 500K baht/year for secondary and there is a waiting list to get in. We NEVER fail a student then pass them on. If they fail, they repeat the year until they succeed.

Edited by quandow