Democrats Launch Campaign To ' Save Thai Democracy'

webfact

The Democrats didn't back the coup.

The court cases did not "force" the Democrats into power. The defection of a regional political faction led to the Democrats getting into government.

If the PTP had called an election rather than trying to elect another new PM, then maybe they could have stayed in power. As it was, they gambled on being able to elect a PM again, but didn't bank on a regional faction of the PPP, who had moved to a separate party than the PTP, not backing another Thaksin proxy.

"Abhisit voiced displeasure at the 2006 coup that overthrew Thaksin, but otherwise did not protest it or the military junta that ruled Thailand for over a year. A fact-finding panel at the Attorney-General's Office found that the Democrat Party bribed other parties to boycott the 2006 parliamentary election, which forced the constitutional crisis, and voted to dissolve the party. It also found that Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party bribed other parties to contest the election. A junta tribunal acquitted Abhisit and the Democrats of the vote fraud charges, but convicted and banned the Thai Rak Thai party and its entire executive team. Abhisit supported the junta's 2007 Constitution, calling it an improvement on the 1997 Constitution." Wikipedia

Thank you. As it says, the Democrats didn't support the coup.

It says a little more than just that!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Abhisit and Korn starting a new party would be a good start. If they can get some relatively clean and talented people with them, it might just work in the long run.

They would have to get some kind of blessing from Chuan and maybe Anand.

Your last line sums up the problem. Forget blessings, grow some principles and do the right thing instead of being beholden to the status quo.

The democrat status quo is finished and these so called respected democrat statesman are part of the problem. Anand is reportedly a great guy, and chuan is tarnished anyway.

But, Thailand 20 or 30 years ago has, left these guys behind. They need to be pensioned off, and let's not start on suthep and kasit.

Come on abhisit, do something real on your own and leave these dinosaurs and the army to their own devices.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

Hi fellows,just a short question(maybe of topic but I think this one get a lot of readers)why you are still here if everything is so bad/confusing/need to be re done(by wise westerners)?I am not the one who is saying: go home if you don't like it.I am also many times annoyed,bothered and pi$$$$,but I am here due of the whether my lovely wife and the way of live.please be honest and give me some thoughts...unfortunately I can't open a new op for this topic - just wanna know

Abhisit and Korn starting a new party would be a good start. If they can get some relatively clean and talented people with them, it might just work in the long run.

Your last line sums up the problem. Forget blessings, grow some principles and do the right thing instead of being beholden to the status quo.

The democrat status quo is finished and these so called respected democrat statesman are part of the problem. Anand is reportedly a great guy, and chuan is tarnished anyway.

But, Thailand 20 or 30 years ago has, left these guys behind. They need to be pensioned off, and let's not start on suthep and kasit.

Come on abhisit, do something real on your own and leave these dinosaurs and the army to their own devices.

Like I said, start a new party. It would open a 3rd way. If they could distance themselves from the old Dems, they might just bring a bunch of voters with them. They might even steal a few PTP voters, if their policies would directly address them.

Hi fellows,just a short question(maybe of topic but I think this one get a lot of readers)why you are still here if everything is so bad/confusing/need to be re done(by wise westerners)?I am not the one who is saying: go home if you don't like it.I am also many times annoyed,bothered and pi$$$$,but I am here due of the whether my lovely wife and the way of live.please be honest and give me some thoughts...unfortunately I can't open a new op for this topic - just wanna know

Because, we like to discuss politics. Your question has been brought up many times in the General sub-forum.

I am also here because of my lovely wife and the way of life. Does that mean were are not allowed to complain about the messed up state of the country?

Well not all of us are just here for the weather and have a lot invested in the financial and political development of the country.

Yes. It also says that the TRT were found guilty of bribing parties to contest the election so that TRT didn't need to get 20% of the vote (which they failed to do in a number of constituencies, even with no competition).

Yes. It also says that the TRT were found guilty of bribing parties to contest the election so that TRT didn't need to get 20% of the vote (which they failed to do in a number of constituencies, even with no competition).

Btw, the Thai Rak Thai Party heavyweight who was at the forefront of that most pathetic of electoral fraud (bribing a party to run another candidate because your own candidate can't muster 20% of the vote in a one-party election) is the new Energy Minister in ThaksinYingluck's Cabinet.

30181335-01_big.jpg

Pongsak Rattanapongpaisan

Former TRT heavyweights to take up Cabinet posts

http://www.nationmul...s-30181335.html

Fact is, if the dems were serious about" saving thai democracy" they would have launched such an initiative after the illegal military junta coup, instead of choosing to become the public proxy of the "third (gun)hand" dictator.

Supporters of democracy oppose military coups, not become part of them.

The dems are permanently tarred both nationally, and Internationally as coup-appeasers on the basis of their choices, and the evidence laid out subsequent to the illegal military coup.

Sleepers with the enemy.

But whilst coup proxy abisit gets more and more ridiculous and irrellevant, thai democracy continues to flourish and gains nods of approval from its peers.

• Like 1

Fact is, if the dems were serious about" saving thai democracy" they would have launched such an initiative after the illegal military junta coup, instead of choosing to become the public proxy of the "third (gun)hand" dictator.

Supporters of democracy oppose military coups, not become part of them.

The dems are permanently tarred both nationally, and Internationally as coup-appeasers on the basis of their choices, and the evidence laid out subsequent to the illegal military coup.

Sleepers with the enemy.

But whilst coup proxy abisit gets more and more ridiculous and irrellevant, thai democracy continues to flourish and gains nods of approval from its peers.

Thaksin had people killed with his war on drugs, thousands. Part of your democracy? Thaksin stole billions from Thailand. Part of your Democracy? The current prime minister perjured herself for the criminal only to be let off when the reds re purposed the definitions of the word LIAR! With all the beautiful lovely Shins in your party how could the country go wrong? He slimed out of here with cases of cash and lied about his coming back after the Olympics, but all political. What a joke. Your leader has no morals and no backbone. Simply because you espoused your bs on a forum doth not make it true. As previously posted but ignored by the ignorant liyng reds you claim AV was part of the coup but you have been proven wrong enumerable times yet the red crap still flows for the golden sphincter. Quite ridiculous but is quite relevant when you show your colors here. An obvious prop up by a re-purposed ex member.

Good post, and I agree something like this would be the ideal situation, not a coup, or some other type of over throw.

Sadly I fear that the old power brokers on both sides of the political forces would soon reconcile their differences if a new and genuinely corruption free threat came along to take away their gravy train.

• Like 1

What a joke! How could anybody but the most accomplished sophist equate "democracy" with a system that endorses unelected leaders?

The Thai political system doesn't endorse unelected leaders. Unfortunately, every now and then, the military don't take any notice and decide to take over.

But, there hasn't been a coup since 2006, and it doesn't look like there will be one in the near future (well, next year at least).

Perhaps they need to save Democracy from itself by enacting "Voter fraud" Laws like in the US, so the majority finds it difficult to vote.

Or redefine Democracy as the will of the minority

or the Votes oif landowners are the only ones that will be counted

Shucks easier just to have a coup

What a joke! How could anybody but the most accomplished sophist equate "democracy" with a system that endorses unelected leaders?

The Thai political system doesn't endorse unelected leaders. Unfortunately, every now and then, the military don't take any notice and decide to take over.

But, there hasn't been a coup since 2006, and it doesn't look like there will be one in the near future (well, next year at least).

Don't be so sure there won't be a coup. The rice pledging system alone must be causing some pretty serious discussions around some pretty important dinner tables in Bangkok.

Good post, and I agree something like this would be the ideal situation, not a coup, or some other type of over throw.

Sadly I fear that the old power brokers on both sides of the political forces would soon reconcile their differences if a new and genuinely corruption free threat came along to take away their gravy train.

That is a real danger, but you used an interesting word: reconcile.

If the Abhisit/Korn party would force the 2 camps to RECONCILE, it would be good step forward for the country.