• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 0

Survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki Awarded Nobel Peace Prize for Nuclear Disarmament

2. 0

Controversy Surrounds Guardian Review of Oct 7 Documentary on Hamas Massacre

3. 0

Unlikely Justice for Victims of Novichok Poisoning, Says Former PM Theresa May

4. 0

The Growing Influence of the US Far Right on Ireland's Extremist Movements

5. 0

Boris Johnson Hints at Potential Return to Front-Line Politics

6. 0

Pro-Palestinian ‘mob-rule tactics’ Force Postponement of Braverman’s Cambridge Speech

7. 0

Taylor Swift Donates $5 Million to Hurricane Relief Efforts

8. 0

Honeymoon Period Over for Kamala Harris Polls Show Tight Race

9. 0

DeSantis Pushes Back on Climate Change’s Role in Stronger Storms

10. 0

German Politician Calls for Ban on Greta Thunberg Over Pro-Palestinian Protest Involvement

11. 0

U.S. Seeks to Weaken Hezbollah’s Grip on Lebanon Amid Israeli Offensive

12. 0

YouTuber and BBC Star Yung Filly Arrested in Australia Over Alleged Hotel Rape

13. 4

Thailand Live Saturday 12 October 2024

Where To Buy Coving

DD13

Hello Folks

Please ..Could someone suggest where to buy decorative plaster (Gypsum) coving.....& a mitre (stupidly I left my tools in the UK)

My builder isn't being helpful ....!!!!!.......I guess that they don't want we Farangs to show them how it "should" be done

Many thanks

I've never seen it that way except for corners, etc. Here they literally make it with shaped trowels in place. Often they use the latex "plaster" rather than the gypsum, but I've seen both. If there is sand mixed into the gypsum wall finish, then they mix sand into the same to form the moldings. Even in a fairly large place in the US, I know only where to buy it in wood except as said, corner pieces, door base decorative pieces, and those decorative pieces that go on the ceiling to frame a hanging light fixture.

Long pieces like that would be very brittle and unless made locally, I don't know how you'd ship it safely. I also don't know how you'd miter it without chipping it. I suppose a fine blade in a good chop saw might do it. It would sure dull quickly even in carbide.

I could be wrong and maybe other places have it. Maybe you could start something. All of the older homes including the old Victorians that I know of were shaped in place. Those were real plaster made with cement though and it doesn't shrink much. Now they have to go over it a second time due to shrinking and cracking.

Snap a line and pull a specially formed trowel is how they did it. One guy put it in place roughly, and another followed with the shaped trowel. Then they scrape off the excess from the edges, and wipe with a damp cloth.

Ornate plaster craft on Soi Khaotalo

Interesting. Do they have the long pieces for crown and base molding? If so, do they make it locally for careful delivery?

If it's really plaster, it would be stonger and heavier and have a sand texture. ?? How the heck do you cut that?

Ornate plaster craft on Soi Khaotalo

Interesting. Do they have the long pieces for crown and base molding? If so, do they make it locally for careful delivery?

If it's really plaster, it would be stonger and heavier and have a sand texture. ?? How the heck do you cut that?

Sorry I don't know the answers to your questions, I've never used or even seen their shop..just remembered seeing their infomercial on

Sophon cable when they first started out...a few years ago now.

http://ornateplastercraft.com/ They make all peices to order, proper plaster, and they do a great job, highly recommended from me anyway!

Wow. Nice. I've never seen that before. That must be like a lost art. It looks great.

Again, if it's really plaster it's a cement product and will have a sand texture as the old houses did. They then used lathe and plaster for the walls and ceilings and the texture matched. It might not all look right unless a skim coat of either plaster, or drywall mud with sand added was put on the walls and ceiling.

I think plaster with that ornate molding looks spectacular. Good luck with it!

Edited by NeverSure