End Of An Era: Bangkok's Lumpini Stadium Closing In 2014

webfact

End of an era: Lumpini Stadium closing in 2014

By James Goyder

leaky-lumpinee-roof-578x385.jpg

Leaky Lumpini: The roof of the old Muay Thai stadium has seen better days. Photo: James Goyder

BANGKOK: -- An era will end in 2014 when Lumpini Boxing Stadium closes down to be replaced by a new state of the art venue in Northern Bangkok. The existing stadium is in the heart of the city’s business district and, with it sitting on some very valuable real estate, the temptation to sell has become irresistible.

Lumpini Stadium is owned by the Thai Army and first opened its doors in 1956. Along with Rajadamnern Stadium it is one of the two most renowned Muay Thai venues in Thailand, with titles at Lumpini the most coveted in the entire sport.

The replacement stadium will be located 30 kilometers north of the current location on Ram Intra Road, which could cause confusion for first time visitors if it retains the “Lumpini” name. It is also further from the backpacker mecca of the Koh San Road and the hotels on Sukhumvit which is likely to adversely affect ticket sales to tourists. [read more...]

Full story: http://www.coconutsb...losing-in-2014/

-- COCONUTS Bangkok 2012-10-29

footer_n.gif

• Like 2

Hate the money-grubbing, dual-pricing BS. 10x for foreigners, feh.

Moving it to Ram Inthra will make it nearly a Thai-only event, cutting their cash flow. Rajadamnern will benefit (still a ripoff), and the 380M THB will take a long time to recoup, even given the sale price of the old land.

Another nail in the tourist cashflow coffin.

• Like 2

First the Night Bazarre and now the stadium; eventually they will realize that the lost the charm of Bangkok - and it's just a high rise mecca of empty condos. My hometown of New Orleans had a bayou that went from the Mississippi to the Lake with bars and brothels - now it's an interstate highway. That would be a huge draw today (of course the brothels are now hidden there) - only thinking of the dollar now and not the many in the future.

• Like 2

First the Night Bazarre and now the stadium; eventually they will realize that the lost the charm of Bangkok - and it's just a high rise mecca of empty condos. My hometown of New Orleans had a bayou that went from the Mississippi to the Lake with bars and brothels - now it's an interstate highway. That would be a huge draw today (of course the brothels are now hidden there) - only thinking of the dollar now and not the many in the future.

Yes, from a purely sentimental point of view, losing this iconic venue along with so much else in central Bangkok that's being replaced with stereotypical big city steel & glass is sad. The building obviously was in pretty bad shape and the real estate can probably generate more revenue with a change in use, but some squeaky clean new place with air conditioning and modern this & that won't seem the same.

Can't see it as ever being a ripoff. If you went there to see Muay Thai, you saw the real thing. Ringside seats were expensive, but I don't remember anyone dragging people off the street and forcing them to sit there.

It is interesting than when farang feel they're losing face about something, it's a highly principled stance (and never the money ha,ha), but when Thais feel they're not being treated fairly, their reaction is regarded as primitive 3rd world face-saving.

I call ticket prices written in Thai for 100/200 baht, and written in English 1000/2000 baht for the same seats a ripoff, plain and simple. But you're right, for many, it's NOT the money. It's the idea that you're held in such utter contempt that they think they're somehow tricking you - farang reu mak, mai dee.

Anyway, whatever it is that's distasteful, many people share that distaste, and you will see more people voting with their feet. Thai tourism is long overdue for a 'correction'.

Agreed, nothing but a tourist rip off.

For those not in the know, head over to Channel 7 at Chatuchak on a Sunday afternoon, its free.

you may think this is a rip off,but compare wages? and how can they make money if they charge us the same as the locals? compare prices aus$3.00 for locals,$30.00 farang,to go see WWF in Australia,$100.00 across the board,still cheap entertainment.

You have contradicted yourself. If the wages in Thailand are lower then the admission price should be lower as far less money needs to be allocated towards wages. Perhaps in Australia they could charge Thais on holiday 10 times more than your average Aussie as their income is much higher.

you may think this is a rip off,but compare wages? and how can they make money if they charge us the same as the locals? compare prices aus$3.00 for locals,$30.00 farang,to go see WWF in Australia,$100.00 across the board,still cheap entertainment.

I dont live in Australia so cant comment on prices there.

By your own logic you dont mind paying 500 baht per beer instead of 50 baht, as you say how can they make money if they charge us the same as the locals.

Enjoy your stay in your 10,000 baht a night hotel instead of a 1,000 per night local priced room.

If Thailand was to start charging tourists, visitors and farang 10 times the local price, how long do you think it would be before people voted with their feet?

• Like 1

Yes, from a purely sentimental point of view, losing this iconic venue along with so much else in central Bangkok that's being replaced with stereotypical big city steel & glass is sad. The building obviously was in pretty bad shape and the real estate can probably generate more revenue with a change in use, but some squeaky clean new place with air conditioning and modern this & that won't seem the same.

It's not meant to be the same; it's meant to be better. What do you suggest, that they build a dilapidated stadium to replace it? Then you'd be complaining about shoddy building standards. Muay Thai deserves a new modern stadium. Not sure why people like you want to keep/replicate sub-standard buildings.

I think this is a great shame that Lumpinee is shutting down, being moved. It is a tourist hotspot in Bangkok and is a Mecca to Muay Thai enthusiasts and must generate a huge amount of revenue. It will lose all its personality and charm if it is moved and revamped.

I visited the stadium several times in the late 80's and early 90's with my Thai father in law, all to watch the Muay Thai boxing. I don't remember there being a different price for entry at that time. Must be a later thing. And we did indeed see the real Thai boxing, it was not nice and friendly. Afterwards my father in law would go chat with some of the trainers, pick up his winnings and arrange to meet them at some late night chicken fighting spot run by a local cop.

I always liked its slightly decayed charm. It seems to me that the aura of casual neglect is required part of any of these martial arts. It just doesn't seem right in a gleaming chrome and plastic setting.

I visited the stadium several times in the late 80's and early 90's with my Thai father in law, all to watch the Muay Thai boxing. I don't remember there being a different price for entry at that time. Must be a later thing. And we did indeed see the real Thai boxing, it was not nice and friendly. Afterwards my father in law would go chat with some of the trainers, pick up his winnings and arrange to meet them at some late night chicken fighting spot run by a local cop.

I always liked its slightly decayed charm. It seems to me that the aura of casual neglect is required part of any of these martial arts. It just doesn't seem right in a gleaming chrome and plastic setting.

You're correct. The first time I remember there being dual pricing was in approx. 1996. It was about 2x then. Over the years, it has graduated to the big-time ripoff at 10x. Same progression as many other attractions, like the Grand Palace/Wat Phrakeaw, national parks, etc.

I won't even comment on davejones post, except to say that it's clueless.

I went there first in 1971 as a backpacker. In recent years I have refused to pay the ridiculous farang price. I had tickets for Olympic Boxing this year for one third of the price.

Just another example of Thailand's Tourist death spasms. Good riddance.

Edited by lubbkis

Good, robbing bastards.

I and I am sure many other expat residents would have gone regularly if it wasn't for the extortionate pricing for foreigners.

Can't understand why one calls himself or his friends "expats". Maybe I am totally wrong - sorry for that. But for me "expat" means something about living in a country where you were not born. And seeing it that way I ask myself: How can one live in any country without knowing at least a few basic rules about not getting ripped off?

What I try to say here is: I have got my Thai driving licenses (car and motorcycle) to show at any place where you have to pay a kind of entrance fee - and if you can show that you are living here - you will be charged the Thai price! Easy as that. Stop complaining about things YOU can change. It's not our contry - we have to follow Thai rules.

• Like 2

For me the best Muay Thai stadium is in Chiang Mai. Ringside seats are 600 Baht for everybody. Have

comfortable seat and a table, waitress service for beer and good food too. The gambling between locals and foreigners is great fun ( 100 baht each fight ). It is a very enjoyable evening and the fighting is genuine. Everybody is friendly and they love the sport. One night there were 4 KOs. I have never

been to Lumpini. Would rather fly up to CM for a few days.

Nothing more than an eyesore and good riddance. Way overdue. Lets hope the new one has car park or the MRT/BTS links opening near it within reasonable time. But if they keep it for another 56 years, it might pay for itself if Thai's are charged like Farang...

Good, robbing bastards.

I and I am sure many other expat residents would have gone regularly if it wasn't for the extortionate pricing for foreigners.

Can't understand why one calls himself or his friends "expats". Maybe I am totally wrong - sorry for that. But for me "expat" means something about living in a country where you were not born. And seeing it that way I ask myself: How can one live in any country without knowing at least a few basic rules about not getting ripped off?

What I try to say here is: I have got my Thai driving licenses (car and motorcycle) to show at any place where you have to pay a kind of entrance fee - and if you can show that you are living here - you will be charged the Thai price! Easy as that. Stop complaining about things YOU can change. It's not our contry - we have to follow Thai rules.

Wish that was true. In national parks, they make up the rules according to how they feel that day. I've been told everything from, "You speak Thai well, so I'll give you the Thai price", to "Driver license cannot - need work permit", to "Thai only."

The rest of your advice is typical whipped-dog nonsense. If there actually were any well-defined rules, and if they were administered fairly, then you might have something. The reality is that you will be taken advantage of at every possibility. If you don't push back, then you will be hosed. Simple as that.

• Like 2

Good, robbing bastards.

Wish that was true. In national parks, they make up the rules according to how they feel that day. I've been told everything from, "You speak Thai well, so I'll give you the Thai price", to "Driver license cannot - need work permit", to "Thai only."

The rest of your advice is typical whipped-dog nonsense. If there actually were any well-defined rules, and if they were administered fairly, then you might have something. The reality is that you will be taken advantage of at every possibility. If you don't push back, then you will be hosed. Simple as that.

I wonder how many times maapaa tried his little, here my Thai drivers license and I live here stunt at either this farang rip off joint or at Wat Pra Kaew.

Speaking Thai makes no difference.

Here's the solution:

Philippine Arena is a world class indoor arena being constructed in Ciudad de Victoria, Bocaue, Bulacan and Santa Maria, Bulacan, Philippines. It is a project of the Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church of Christ) as part of its 100th year of re-establishment in the Philippines on July 27, 2014. It is expected to have a seating capacity of 55,000. Groundbreaking ceremony was held on August 17, 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Arena wai2.gif