Schengen Visa Multiple Entry. Difficult To Get?

HI,

I am UK citizen and my Thai wife and I are going to UK for a month in Jan. We have also booked 3 days in Italy. We also would like the option to go to Europe again during the month that we are in the UK. Maybe Eurostar to Paris or something we are not sure.

Is it possible to apply for a muliple Schengen visa without having exact details of where and when we would use it? The first trip to Italy is booked and paid for. Its just it would be nice to have the option to go to france too.

I heard that multiple entry visas are harder to get. Anyone got any experience in this?

The issue of multiple entry visas is at the discretion of the embassy.

9.1.1.3. Number of entries

A uniform visa may be issued for one, two or multiple entries. The applicant should indicate

in the application form how many entries he wishes, but it is the consular authorities

examining the application who decide on the number of entries to grant. When a multipleentry

visa is issued, the period of validity of the travel document should be respected (see

point 9.1.1 above).

Criteria for determining eligibility is provided in the Visa Handbook. Basically you have to show a usual main destination:

2.2. Application for a uniform visa for multiple entries

Recommended best practice for determining the Member State competent for dealing with

an application for a uniform visa for multiple entries: Generally an application for a multiple entry

visa should be dealt with by the Member State that constitutes the usual main

destination; i.e. the Member State of the most frequent destination or in the case of absence of

such a destination, the Member State of the first envisaged trip.

If you don't have a "usual main destination", it might help if you can produce some evidence that you are intending to return to Europe.

My wife always applies for a multiple entry visa. The French visa section in Bangkok, to their credit, have given her two multiple entry visas valid for one year each. She's been to France four times.

The Italian embassy, on the other hand, couldn't be persuaded to give her a multiple entry visa. She's been to Italy three times. Perhaps the Italians think that France is my wife's "usual main destination" and there it is the duty of the French consulate to determine her eligibility. Perhaps they don't like giving multiple entry visas.

Edited by goatfarmer

It does not hurt to ask but, of course I would provide informations.

Why don't you plan the trip ahead and modify it accordingly when the time comes?

As you only intend to remain a month in UK ( meaning you already have your return booked) this means that you could ask for 10 or 15 day multiple (which would cover a 30 day period depending of the officer dealing with your dossier) but, of course, you are to apply with the country where you will stay most

Might have been mentioned, but when you apply, use the dates of the entire time she is in the region as the dates, not just the dates of the few days in Italy.. Or else your will be the proud holder of a 3 day multi entry visa..