Adapters Getting Fried All The Time

meatballs

This is the second time my laptop adapter has gotten fried. This time there were sparks flying out of the cord. Seemed to have fried the harddrive as well. blink.png Had to pay 2500 for a new harddrive replacement.

What is causing this? Do these things just break often? Or is the electric too strong here?

Edited by meatballs

Was the adapter purchased in Thailand? Is it an old PC?

Do you use a surge protector? If so and you are still having problems, maybe get an electrician to check outlets! I do not think that the 'electric is too strong' as you put it, more likely a wiring fault.

Sorry cant be of more help, I am sure you will get some better advise. Good luck.

Yeap, make sure your adapter works on and/or is set for 220VAC operation. And also make sure the "wattage rating" of the adapter meets the minimum wattage rating of the laptop otherwise it will fail early. Check the laptop manual...if for example it says you need at least a 90 watt adapter be sure the adapter is rated for "at least" 90 watts. And of course the adapter provides the correct DC output voltage...if for example it requires a 15VDC adapter don't be using a 19VDC, 12VDC, etc., adapter...be sure you have a 15VDC adapter plus or minus maybe a half a volt. Check the manual for the correct adapter required.

But for it to also have fried your hard drive without it also frying your motherboard seems very strange. When you say sparks flying out of the cord, where at on the cord? Where you plug the adapter into the wall socket, between the wall socket and adapter, or between the adapter and laptop? If you are talking that you see sparks at the wall socket when plugging in the cord this is normal "if" your laptop is already on or your laptop battery discharged as the adapter output voltage would immediately be under load/pumping out significant amperage.

No different than say you plug-in a lamp, appliance, etc., that is already turned on there is amperage immediately being drawn which will cause sparks as you plug the cord into the wall socket; but if the light/appliance is turned off you probably won't see any sparks as there is no amperage/current being drawn.

Was the adapter purchased in Thailand? Is it an old PC?

Do you use a surge protector? If so and you are still having problems, maybe get an electrician to check outlets! I do not think that the 'electric is too strong' as you put it, more likely a wiring fault.

Sorry cant be of more help, I am sure you will get some better advise. Good luck.

No, I don't use a surge protector. I'll try that. Thanks for the idea.

• Like 1