Halloween!

WinnieTheKhwai

What time at John's place? How did you get a discount card there expat? WTK, what are you doing for costume now?

It is for serious expats aka 'expat mak maks' only.

Not many people can get them.

Don't worry though, I can get you and YoungBrit a beer on my card, I'm sure Winnie has one too.

Out of interest Winnie, what costume did your daughter wear with the devil's trident? I want to know if mine is better! 555

wai.gif

• Like 1

How did you get a discount card there expat?

I don't think John gives them out any more.

The one I have from many years ago states 'Forever' and it's always honoured (20%)

I got mine around 20 years ago and VIP #2. Also written on it, one free beer per every visit. Well used card. biggrin.png

I'm Australian so growing up we never had halloween, was just yet another bizarre US trend from the Brady Bunch. So is All Hallows Eve an American thing or was it originally a Pagan Euro thing?

It's just a moneymaking business. Wonder what they will introduce next to this country, Thanksgiving, Easter Parade......? blink.png

Edited by Semper

YoungBrit,

You missed a great night last night, a nice discounted couple of beers and John's place then on down Loy Kroh for some Halloween shenanigans!

Dave, we should do it again this weekend, without the costumes of course! 5555

wai.gif

Now that's a shame! Did you drive yourself or did you pillion?

I'm Australian so growing up we never had halloween, was just yet another bizarre US trend from the Brady Bunch. So is All Hallows Eve an American thing or was it originally a Pagan Euro thing?

http://www.paganspath.com/magik/samhain-history.htm

The Festival of Samhain

btntny.gif Samhain's History Samhain (pronounced Sow-en), dates back to the ancient Celts who lived 2,000 years ago. Contrary to what some believe, is not a celebration of a Celtic god of the dead. jacko.gifInstead, it is a Celtic word meaning "summer's end." The Celts believed that summer came to an end on October 31st and the New Year began on November 1st with the start of winter. But the Celts also followed a lunar calendar and their celebrations began at sunset the night before. Many today see Halloween as the pagan holiday. But that's not really accurate. As the pagan holiday of Samhain is on November 1st. But their celebrations did and still do, start at sunset on October 31st, on Samhain Eve. During the day on October 31st, the fires within the home are extinguished. Often families would engage in a good "fall" cleaning to clear out the old and make way for the new. Starting the winter months with fresh and clean household items. At sunset on October 31, clans or local villages begin the formal ceremonies of Samhain by lighting a giant bonfire. The people would gather around the fire to burn crops and animals as sacrifices to the Celtic deities. It was a method of giving the Gods and Goddesses their share of the previous years herd or crops. In addition these sacred fires were a big part of the cleansing of the old year and a method to prepare for the coming new year. During the celebration, the Celts wore costumes, and danced around the bonfire. Many of these dances told stories or played out the cycles of life and death or commemorated the cycle of Wheel of Life. These costumes were adorned for three primary reasons. The first was to honor the dead who were allowed to rise from the Otherworld. The Celts believed that souls were set free from the land of the dead during the eve of Samhain. Those that had been trapped in the bodies of animals were released by the Lord of the Dead and sent to their new incarnations. The wearing of these costumes signified the release of these souls into the physical world. Not all of these souls were honored and respected. Some were also feared as they would return to the physical world and destroy crops, hide livestock or 'haunt' the living who may have done them wrong. The second reason for these traditional costumes was to hide from these malevolent spirits to escape their trickery. The final representation was a method to honor the Celtic Gods and Goddesses of the harvest, fields and flocks. Giving thanks and homage to those deities who assisted the village or clan through the trials and tribulations of the previous year. And to ask for their favor during the coming year and the harsh winter months that were approaching. In addition to celebrations and dance, it was believed that this thin veil between the physical world and the Otherworld provided extra energy for communications between the living and the dead. With these communications, Druid Priests, and Celtic Shamans would attempted to tell the fortunes of individual people through a variety of methods. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter. These psychic readings would be conducted with a variety of divination tools. Such as throwing bones, or casting the CelticOgham. There is some historical evidence that additional tools of divination were also used. Most of this comes from writings recorded by Roman invaders, but there are stories of reading tea leaves, rocks and twigs, and even simple spiritual communications that today we'd call Channeling. Some historians have suggested that these early people were the first to use tiles made from wood and painted with various images which were the precursor to Tarot Cards. There's no real evidence to support this, but the 'story' of these tiles has lingered for centuries. When the community celebration was over, each family would take a torch or burning ember from the sacred bonfire and return to their own home. The home fires that has been extinguished during the day were re-lit by the flame of the sacred bonfire to help protect the dwelling and it's inhabitants during the coming winter. These fires were kept burning night and day during the next several months. It was believed that if a home lost it's fire, tragedy and troubles would soon follow. With the hearth fires lit, the families would place food and drink outside their doors. This was done to appease the roaming spirits who might play tricks on the family.

You mean the private message where you invited me but that I havn't replied too?

Well I assumed that if you're young then you'd be on the beer tonight... it's bloody halloween!

So see you at John's Place then, I'll let you use my discount card for a cheaper beer, let the normal rabble pay normal prices! 5555

Wait until you see my costume, bloody brilliant!

wai.gif

I can't bloody wait !!!!!

We don't have it in Australia, thank god that is one silly American thing that hasn't edged it's way into Australia. When exactly is it so I have some warning to keep clear.

We don't have it in Australia, thank god that is one silly American thing that hasn't edged it's way into Australia. When exactly is it so I have some warning to keep clear.

It was 31st October. :P BTW, next up is Loy Krathong which you also may want to keep clear of, as it's is a silly Indian thing that has edged it's way into Thailand. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It was 31st October. tongue.png BTW, next up is Loy Krathong which you also may want to keep clear of, as it's is a silly Indian thing that has edged it's way into Thailand. rolleyes.gif

Oh great I missed itbiggrin.png I actually like Loy Krathong very peacefull. No little brats comitting a form of Robbery, Coff up the lollies and cakes or we will do untold horrors to you. Thank god they don't teach the Aussie kids the art of armed robbery from a very young agewink.png

• Like 1

Im a Scot and grew up on Halloween trick or treating. Loved it. Still do. As already posted, it does not come from America. Its a Celt tradition, and America took it on.

Im glad the "silly" thing is still ongoing. wink.png Great fun for kids, and for adults who like to have an excuse to be a big kid. I had a great night. My group consisted of ages 25 all the way up to 70's! Was a right motley crew and we danced the night away in crazy garb. And every person we bumped into, whether dressed up or not, broke into smiles and laughter. Glad to have had some silly fun that everyone seemed to enjoy! biggrin.png