A Positive Story For A Change ....

petercool

I have on two occasions mislaid my passport and money in the 20 years of visiting Thailand.

Both related to checking out of hotels, the first was Phuket, I had to check out my room midday and spent the afternoon at the pool before being picked up at 5pm, shortly before my pick I went to to pool toilets to shower and change, I was sorting out what to put in which bag and carry on my person such as Passport, wallet and air tickets.

Needless to say in the confusion I had left those items by the sink while I shaved and finished dressing, went back to sit by the pool and about 10 minutes later I realized what I had done, ran back to the toilets but they had gone and in a blind panic I was running to reception when I ran into the hotel manager who was looking for me as my possessions had been handed in by the cleaner.

The second time I was transferring from the Asia Hotel in Bangkok to Pattaya, I had booked a seat on a mini van, it was late and I had been waiting in a very comfortable armchair, when the bell boy called me I rush to get my luggage and left a plastic carrier bag at the side of the seat with my passport and air tickets in it, It was about 20 mins before I realized it was missing, I had a real problem communicating with the driver, eventually I got him to stop and got all my luggage and got a meter taxi back to the hotel.

On arrival I went to reception and not only had my bag been handed in but the van company had left a message to say they would pick me up for their next run in an hours time.

I feel safer in Thailand than I do back home.

Yes good positive stories for a change, thanks for sharing.

If there wasn't much more positive things about living in Thailand than negative, expats wouldn't be here but somewhere else, but people like to winch about the negative things for some reason.

I left my phone on a table in McDonalds, I realised what I had done a few minutes down the road, never expected to see it again.

Hot footed back to the restaurant, asked at the counter the lass went out back and a young lad who had been clearing the tables came out with my phone - he point blank refused a tip.

Have to say I was impressed.

After a 100 baht taxi ride, I realized that I left my phone in the taxi. When I called my phone to see if anyone would pick up, a passenger picked up and she handed it to the driver. He said that he was already out of the area and had a customer on the other side of town. I had my thai friend talk to the driver and two hours later, the driver returned it to me at the same spot he dropped me off at and got a nice tip for the trouble. My friend said to the driver something along the lines of "you're thai, I'm thai... We help each other." It helps to have friends and to know the language.

My favourite real story of honesty of a strange kind occurred decades ago in Bangkok where a Soi security guard was paid 100 baht a month by each house as he cycled around at night. One night my house was burgled of the few items I owned at the time. When I complained to the guard the next day he was surprised and when learning of my house number said "Sorry .. wrong house !" and my stuff was returned later that day with a smile !!!

• Like 1

My favourite real story of honesty of a strange kind occurred decades ago in Bangkok where a Soi security guard was paid 100 baht a month by each house as he cycled around at night. One night my house was burgled of the few items I owned at the time. When I complained to the guard the next day he was surprised and when learning of my house number said "Sorry .. wrong house !" and my stuff was returned later that day with a smile !!!

You call that a story of "honesty"?

- one in hundred being a criminal is unpleasant and enough

- 10 of 100 is a nightmare

and here someone wants to prove , that not every thai is a criminal ?

<deleted> !

finding someone else property and not give it back is a criminal act!

to give it back should be the norm ! Not be an exception. If you react like this is a very friendly behaviour it means, you expect that being criminal is the norm!

Not at all. I am simply saying that in an environment (and forum) where many negative stories prevail, there are stories that are positive. I know many cities in the world where getting something back that is lost is a vain hope.

Have a nice day.

Good stuff we should hear more of these stories because not everything inlife is negative

clap2.gif

I agree. There is no shortage of good things to be said about Thailand and Thai people, but unfortunately even those stories are generally greeted by derision here at Debbie Downer central command. TiTV.

Edited by Suradit69