New Ranger/mazda Bt-50 Rust Issues...

funcat

I had a close inspection underneath the car and so far no rusty bolts . I still need to check in the engine bay , but the places from others before where they had rust , i do not have. The car is now 5 months old , BT50PRO 3.2R ( 4x4 ) .

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will stop it.

I've used Ospho on the boat before and it is great to clean the rust...and it last some time,but it does not stop it...does it? smile.png

Not forever, but it lasts a couple years, it's cheap, heat resistant, easy to apply and looks good. (IMO) I would not recommend it as a rust preventative on a boat (particularly in salt water) but for this application I think it's perfect. Get a small brush and try a spot that doesn't show and see what you think.

Hey, maybe I’ll try it on my brake disks....

...so you know where to get it here?

I import mine, are you close to Prachinburi?

I've used Ospho on the boat before and it is great to clean the rust...and it last some time,but it does not stop it...does it? smile.png

Not forever, but it lasts a couple years, it's cheap, heat resistant, easy to apply and looks good. (IMO) I would not recommend it as a rust preventative on a boat (particularly in salt water) but for this application I think it's perfect. Get a small brush and try a spot that doesn't show and see what you think.

Hey, maybe I'll try it on my brake disks....

...so you know where to get it here?

I import mine, are you close to Prachinburi?

...no,CM...I will try to check our local chemical supply store...importing chemicals is probably not that easy...?

Here is a new Toyota with some rust problems..that's NOT good !!

Looks like sea salt. sad.png

I think it says on the photo "after 6 weeks only"(not my translation)...tongue.png

Where were the parts OR car stored, looks like sea salt. tongue.png

...looks like rust to me...biggrin.png ...maybe some flood affected parts were used on this car....

Aaaaaahah, you see my drift (wood) now. laugh.png

...not really...unless you think that because Rayong is located close to the sea,the parts can be affected by sea salt..?? We are talking 'new' cars here...

You think parts come too or are never stored near salt water. ?

Just my opinion on the photos provided. smile.png

...not really...unless you think that because Rayong is located close to the sea,the parts can be affected by sea salt..?? We are talking 'new' cars here...

Sure,it can happened...specially,if they are transported by ships...wink.png

Sure,it can happened...specially,if they are transported by ships...wink.png

OR the pressing workshop was under water, or the warehouse was under water or............................... rolleyes.gif

Here is a new Toyota with some rust problems..that's NOT good !!

That's the rear parcel shelf... Perhaps the rear window got smashed and the car was left by the beach in a severe storm? :P

Or, perhaps the spray gun ran out of primer during assembly... whistling.gif

My new Isuzu is rusting so bad even the plasing seems to be rusting

Picture a is rust , like you do have on every car ... even a RR and Bentley but maybe not on Lambo and Ferrari ( because the have ceramic brakes ) . It is standard steel which rusts only on the outside and not penetrates . Your 2nd pic is red mud like we have everywhere around Thailand . On some steel parts it is difficult to see the difference , but on this it is very clear .

My new Isuzu is rusting so bad even the plasing seems to be rusting

Picture a is rust , like you do have on every car ... even a RR and Bentley but maybe not on Lambo and Ferrari ( because the have ceramic brakes ) . It is standard steel which rusts only on the outside and not penetrates . Your 2nd pic is red mud like we have everywhere around Thailand . On some steel parts it is difficult to see the difference , but on this it is very clear .

Thanks, but doesn't ceramic refer to the pads, not the rotors?

It is nice the calipers are zinc plated

..."rusts only on the outside and not penetrates ." Rust is always on the outside and always penetrate in the material. You can only have rust there where the metal is in contact with air.

Without all the technical analyzes rust will occur on the outside but will also deform the surface. Depending on the quality from the iron, the used surface protection, and the used base materials in the iron the rust process time base is predictable.

The rust as shown by the OP on his new Ford is NOT normal. By the engine cast this can come because they cool down the cast to fast. Then the protective outer layer can t be formed or is formed with cracks in t. Short term the engine don t look nice. Long term maybe hidden cracks who will break open after a while.

Other parts from the engine like by the injectors and other bolds and nuts can start rust if they are mounted in the engine with a not proper fitted / worn out tool. This give surface scratches what will result in a other rust process then the other part of the bold / nut. Inside the scratches the rust process accelerate by lack of protection.

With regardswai2.gif

..."rusts only on the outside and not penetrates ." Rust is always on the outside and always penetrate in the material. You can only have rust there where the metal is in contact with air.

Without all the technical analyzes rust will occur on the outside but will also deform the surface. Depending on the quality from the iron, the used surface protection, and the used base materials in the iron the rust process time base is predictable.

The rust as shown by the OP on his new Ford is NOT normal. By the engine cast this can come because they cool down the cast to fast. Then the protective outer layer can t be formed or is formed with cracks in t. Short term the engine don t look nice. Long term maybe hidden cracks who will break open after a while.

Other parts from the engine like by the injectors and other bolds and nuts can start rust if they are mounted in the engine with a not proper fitted / worn out tool. This give surface scratches what will result in a other rust process then the other part of the bold / nut. Inside the scratches the rust process accelerate by lack of protection.

With regardswai2.gif

You are right , IF the rust is removed . If the rust is only on the outside it does not penetrate on some kinds of metal alloys like Corten steel ( stuff sea containers are made of ) .The part where is the rust is the thing you need to look at . Brake rotors are usually ( always ?? ) the same material are the disc itself since this is the part where the disc is mounted on the axe . The is a kind of metal which rusts from day 1 , but i never heard of a problem there , even after many years . Leave you car standing still for a few weeks/months and you will see that the disc is rusting . On injectors , there should not be rust and neither on painted parts ( like the Toyota ex. before ) . Bolts are tricky , some bolts i've seen rust on even after short time of use , and are never a issue ( like on exhaust pipes ) and on others i not expect to see rust , but i do not know if they are a problem in a few years on .

Usually you can spot harmless rust and not harmless rust on the way it progresses . The harmless kind only forms a brown color on the part where the not harmless the brown layer is bubbly and after a while the bubbly pieces fall off ( where new rust is formed underneath ) .The bubbly kind is very harmfull since it is penetrating the metal even without removing the rust layer above .

Here is an update ...and simple solution to fix the problem...

Dear All new ranger club members,

We met with chief service manager of Ford Asian on Friday 16 Nov 2012. They said that Ford Asian acknowledge the problem about rust on fuel injector. Ford Thailand and Ford Asian can't give any technical information about it, only technical term they said is fuel injector jacket is forging material and rust is normal for steel. They said it is not actually problem because it just "cosmetic rust" and it wouldn't effect to safety, performance or integrity of the vehicle.

On that day, one of our member, Aj.Tik shown them about the actual reason of leaking water. The black plastic piece between windshield and engine hood has been made in 2 pieces. So, water can leak in through the gap between it. We shown them 2 immediate solution, make it single piece or extend the engine cover.

The process after this is to inform Product development team at Shanghai, German and Australia to find out what it need or does it need to solve this issue. We still need them to proof that it is not effect to life span of the vehicle, in term of science and engineering not just the word.

Cheers,

All New ranger club