Buying A Mattress In Chiang Mai

westbounder

Are you buying it for a guest room? Won't get much use? You will get junk for 10,000 THB. For a decent mattress you need to spend 20,000 minimum. We bought a well-known, very popular, name brand mattress marked down from 15,000 to 10,000 on sale and it lasted all of about 3 years. The springs broke and the mattress collapsed, unusable, it was killer on the back. It is complete garbage.

I would go with a cheaper mattress ~4-5000B, and get one of the latex toppers (~2500B). Just make sure its one of the harder, more sturdy mattresses so it will last longer. you can change the topper every few years if necessary.

Pinang mattress store has a very complete range of mattresses. Cheapest around 5,500 baht for a queen size. Most expensive can run around 30,000 or so. Google streetview: http://goo.gl/maps/fQX86

thumbsup.gif +1 They are good for bed linen and towels too.

Bought 2 king-size mattresses from HomePro @ under 8k each.

Both were promo-specials, if you believe the sales pitch, down from ~ 21k. Two months between the purchases and 2 different brands, one with 5yr warranty and the latest with 10 years.

We sleep like babies, on either ours, or the guest bed.

We sleep like babies, on either ours, or the guest bed.

You mean you cry for milk in the middle of the night? Sorry, couldn't resist.

at least you didn't say "wake up soaked in p1$$" whistling.gif

When?

One purchased 3 months ago @ 7,900 on special ... STANDARD brand stocked by HomePro Hang Dong. The recent purchase was also on special and has a built-in topper... AMERICANA brand.

When?

One purchased 3 months ago @ 7,900 on special ... STANDARD brand stocked by HomePro Hang Dong. The recent purchase was also on special and has a built-in topper... AMERICANA brand.

Did you happen to walk in while they had these special deals or do they have either a website or email alert?

When?

Did you happen to walk in while they had these special deals or do they have either a website or email alert?

HomePro have advertised and printed (leaflet) specials. One can ask staff 'what may come on special next', they are very helpful.

In Makro today we noticed the AMERICANA mattress @ 13k ... still an ok price for what it is, with 10yr warranty.

Surely the answer would be to go out shopping instead of sitting on the computer asking on this forum.

No matter where you are there are many shops with a complete range of mattresses which you can look at and feel for the density that suits you and your pocket.

HomePro have advertised and printed (leaflet) specials. One can ask staff 'what may come on special next', they are very helpful.

In Makro today we noticed the AMERICANA mattress @ 13k ... still an ok price for what it is, with 10yr warranty.

Those 5 and 10 year warranty tags on the mattresses are meaningless. We already tried that route on ours. The rep said it is difficult to define what is really covered under the warranty. He even said that warranties for the most part, don't mean much in Thailand. I also don't have the receipt. I have every receipt for every electronic item I have ever bought here. Do most people keep receipts for a mattress for 4 years or more?

I still say any mattress in Thailand under 20,000 THB is junk. What would you expect to get in the West for say Euro 250??? Maybe something at IKEA although I think my IKEA mattress I owned in Europe was more than that.

Those 5 and 10 year warranty tags on the mattresses are meaningless. We already tried that route on ours. The rep said it is difficult to define what is really covered under the warranty. He even said that warranties for the most part, don't mean much in Thailand. I also don't have the receipt. I have every receipt for every electronic item I have ever bought here. Do most people keep receipts for a mattress for 4 years or more?

I still say any mattress in Thailand under 20,000 THB is junk. What would you expect to get in the West for say Euro 250??? Maybe something at IKEA although I think my IKEA mattress I owned in Europe was more than that.

I agree. If you spend good money for a mattress and rotate it every six months or so, it should last for 20 years -- especially with the platform beds they use here. You don't have to invest in "box spring" like we did in the U.S.

Oh, I do save receipts for every "capital item" we buy, but I've never had to claim on a mattress warranty.

In general, we deal with Central Dept store for items like this. Yes, I know they might be more expensive, but they're very close to where we live and everyone on staff seems to know us. If Hubby and I come in together on the 2nd or 3rd floor they seem to come to life. They know we've come to buy a refrigerator, TV, or major purchase of bedding and towels.

Go Sealy.

Whatever your choice, try the large department stores. Their prices, like Home Pro are high...very high.

But poke around, remove your shoes and test rest.

Then having an idea what you like; ask the sales folks when they expect their next sale.

If no reply walk slowly away saying you will check elsewhere: their sale will begin just then.

Had one chap at Central, after using his notepad to slash one price after another on the same product starting at B70,000, quote me B28,000. He said it will sell for less at their upcoming midnight sale at the time.

• Like 1

Consider how many hours are spent in bed and whether a good quality mattress is better for your back and sleep comfort. The foreign name brands last a lot longer so in the end are actually better value. Similar to buying Chinese tools that are stuffed after 3 uses, as opposed to quality tools that last a life time. Often being cheap works out more expensive in the long run.

I've bought a cheapo mattress before, it's already crap, hence buying the good one that we have now had for many years, the wife really appreciated the difference as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I received my 15cm thick latex mattress from Latex Innovations yesterday. At first, I thought it may be too soft. I have been sleeping on a rather hard mattress manufactured by Lotus for years. After one night, I have changed my mind. It feels very luxurious. Best night's sleep I have in in a long time. Service from Latex Innovations was excellent. Received the mattress 6 days after placing my order. The price was 5-7k less than everywhere else I looked. Gotta finish building the frame for it.

IMAG0046.jpg

• Like 1

Wimpy, looks great! For many years I slept on expensive American-style mattress-box-spring beds -- always had back aches -- and just kept searching for better (= more expensive) mattress-box-springs. Then, lo & behold, in 1994 I stayed a week at a hotel in Taipei, and the bed was the hardest bed I ever slept on. WOW, what an eye opener! The most comfortable 7-nights sleep of my life. I checked the mattress. It was nothing but a 6-inch thick slab of very dense foam with a simple cloth cover. Of course, this kind of mattress required a bed frame very different from the one for box-springs.

Since then I've never bought any other kind of mattress except dense foam -- always the densest (hardest) I can find. No more back aches and no more ridiculously expensive mattresses. If the foam is very dense, 4-inch thickness works fine for me. In the Philippines, a 4-inch thick queen-size mattress made of the cheap soft foam is about P2,000 (about Bt1,400), and made of hard (dense) foam about P4,000 (about Bt 2,800). I don't recall the mattress I sept on in Bangkok from 2001-2003, but when we get back to Chiang Mai in March, we will be looking for the fabulous dense foam mattress.

I'm guessing that we can buy that type of mattress in Thailand for Bt3,000-Bt4,000, but surely not over Bt5,000. If anyone has experience this kind of mattress in Chiang Mai, would very much appreciate your feedback.

Thanks, Brad

I'm sure you can get a piece of foam fairly cheaply. For years I slept on a quality piece of foam in the US. This time I wanted something natural and, hopefully, very comfortable. Latex seemed like a good choice. I used to think an extra firm mattress was the way to go. Not any more. This is not hard at all, but very comfortable (for me) to sleep on. I'm not sure how to describe it. It is unlike anything I have slept on. It almost feels like you are on a waterbed full of heavy cream - if that makes any sense. Except when you move about, your partner isn't disturbed.

• Like 1