Thai Gossip.......

theblether

Thai gossip is your enemy........it is rarely your friend. If you allow Thai gossip to influence your life in Thailand then you may come to a bitter end. You have to understand that Gossip is the true national sport in Thailand and at it's worst it's a seriously malevolent influence.

It's Up To You to realize two things about Thai gossip............do not believe it represents the truth.............and do not underestimate it's destructive power.

The gossips are a regressive force within the country, and left to them the country would still be in the dark ages. In as much as people, male and female flock to the cities to earn more money, they also flee the malevolent grip of the village gossips.

I say........beware of the gossips.

What do you think? smile.png

Maybe not as fundamental a regressive force as corruption and lack of education for the ordinary people, but yes, it's very destructive wherever it exists. Not sure if it's more of a problem here than back home, I tend to ignore it so successfully.

And with the urban/rural difference, IMO gossip is just as prevalent here in the big smoke, just greater opportunities to segment your life between mutually exclusive circles in different locations in order to ensure your privacy.

I have experience with malicious gossip here in the village. It very nearly succeeded in having devastating consequences, however common sense and reason prevailed and those responsible were made to look quite stupid and partially ostracised by the community.

Totster :)

One tgf was accosted by one of her friends to say that she and her mates had seen me taking a girl to our house in East Pattaya. Gave exact dates and times etc. Tgf was very angry and asked me how I could have done such a thing to her. I had no answer, as we were talking on Skype and I was offshore Italy at the time all this was supposed to be happening. I also pointed out that she had driven me to the airport to catch my flight, which just happened to be the day before my supposed indiscretion. That was my final fling with her refusal to disbelieve anything her Thai friends wound her up about

So now that particular tgf is on her tod for believing others stupid talk.

At times I think the whole country runs on gossip. The newspapers, the politicians, coffee shaop barter/news, the village drinking hole, etc. As much time as they spend talking, they cannot be passing along that much knowledge.

My favorite response is "I do not believe that is true" just to see how long the silence lasts.

• Like 1

One tgf was accosted by one of her friends to say that she and her mates had seen me taking a girl to our house in East Pattaya. Gave exact dates and times etc. Tgf was very angry and asked me how I could have done such a thing to her. I had no answer, as we were talking on Skype and I was offshore Italy at the time all this was supposed to be happening. I also pointed out that she had driven me to the airport to catch my flight, which just happened to be the day before my supposed indiscretion. That was my final fling with her refusal to disbelieve anything her Thai friends wound her up about

That's a prime example of what I'm talking about.......malicious gossip that broke a relationship. Terrible.

It seems to be the case though that some people allow their views to be formed by gossips, and that includes TV members.

Ah ... the truth bubbles to the surface.

Wot's on your mind young one?

You can tell us ... we promise not to gossip ... w00t.gif

It seems to be the case though that some people allow their views to be formed by gossips, and that includes TV members.

Nuffin.......I'm an innocent. I never gossip. Honest. mellow.png

'we promise not to gossip'? w00t.gif

• Like 1

That's a prime example of what I'm talking about.......malicious gossip that broke a relationship. Terrible.

It was the credulity that broke the relationship, and her lack of faith in him. If she'd not believed it, they could have said anything.

It was the credulity that broke the relationship, and her lack of faith in him. If she'd not believed it, they could have said anything.

Yes, you are right. I read this comment earlier today (the comment you have quoted) and it puzzled me.

The Thai girl knew that the farang boyfriend was overseas at the time of the supposed indiscretion, yet she placed greater faith in her friends' gossip.

Women as distrusting as this ought to be discarded. You will never conquer in the face of extreme paranoia or naivete.

I suppose you could say that the "malicious gossip" was a blessing in disguise. The gossip made the man aware of just how crappy his girlfriend was.

Dunno if it comes under the heading of gossip, but I found that many Thais will just not believe a farang over fellow Thai. Seen it many times on TV where older members of a family are taken at their word, and the farang point of view is disregarded. But they are just plain wrong or barmy. I remember one thread on here about a baby waking up a certain way and the old man of the family decided it was because the clothes were being washed and dried in a machine, not because the baby just woke up that way. So the clothes had to be dried the way they always were because of it

Dunno if it comes under the heading of gossip, but I found that many Thais will just not believe a farang over fellow Thai. Seen it many times on TV where older members of a family are taken at their word, and the farang point of view is disregarded. But they are just plain wrong or barmy. I remember one thread on here about a baby waking up a certain way and the old man of the family decided it was because the clothes were being washed and dried in a machine, not because the baby just woke up that way. So the clothes had to be dried the way they always were because of it

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Oh Gawd......anyway break the suspense, did the baby wake up the "correct" way after the washing regime changed? smile.png

I agree with you. Gossip is very destructive,worst of all is when there is no truth in it. Village life dictates,that those that know the Gossip,are the ones with the most power.Often it is the ones in a certain position that get to hear it all,such as the owner of the village shop. and people come back for the latest update on a bit of gossip or two.

As several fluent speaking Thai,Farangs have told me: stick to very basic Thai "You won't like what you hear"

I don't fall into believing gossip , but , I am a blah blah , always have been always will be a blah blah .

By the way , see the bird with the hairdressesers round the corner that slaughters old white fellas under instruction from her decrepit but sharp ma who lives in Pattaya because she is a good budhist and then donates their old panama hats to museums or bars , she is such a gossip .

I don't fall into believing gossip , but , I am a blah blah , always have been always will be a blah blah .

By the way , see the bird with the hairdressesers round the corner that slaughters old white fellas under instruction from her decrepit but sharp ma who lives in Pattaya because she is a good budhist and then donates their old panama hats to museums or bars , she is such a gossip .

Is that where our Kelly got his Panama? Is that why he lives in Pattaya now - no Panama hats in Chiang Mai?

Back on topic, I'm guessing theBlether is just softening us up, rolling the wicket as it were... maybe his girlfriend has a Thaivisa account and he's worried what might be on the horizon...

SC

• Like 1

Gossip is often described as the " cement of community".. Take out the gossip and the community doesn't hold together.

That said, i hate gossip, and i ' ve been definitely damaged by it in a previous life.

Not so long ago i' ve been told that if you don't do active gossiping, you are most likely gossiped, and you become the obvious target.

Since then, i am doing an effort to gossip a little bit.

Like when there is a group of friends drinking and having fun, the first to go home becomes the villain laugh.png

I think getting caught up worrying about what people are talking about is a waste of time. Pretty soon, you think everybody is talking about you, and most people are just not all that.

Just home from work... I am gutted....went into the staffroom at school. All the usual old crones were there, knitting visciously, but NO ONE was talking about me. sad.png

I think I'll have to start some gossip about myself at this rate...

Gossip is often described as the " cement of community".. Take out the gossip and the community doesn't hold together.

That said, i hate gossip, and i ' ve been definitely damaged by it in a previous life.

Not so long ago i' ve been told that if you don't do active gossiping, you are most likely gossiped, and you become the obvious target.

Since then, i am doing an effort to gossip a little bit.

Like when there is a group of friends drinking and having fun, the first to go home becomes the villain laugh.png

Yes, I've noticed that, especially here. Could never figure out why gossip was such a hot item at the thai Buddhist temple back in the states. When I moved here I figured out it's just culture. With many rooted in Buddhist precepts it's astounding to see the amount of it. Help people stop destroying their brain cells by not participating in it. People resort to gossip when they can't get the confirmation they need, so they have to leech off of hearsay to get their fix. Why continue to gossip? It's never made anyone smarter.