New Parks Chief Cuts Entry Fees To 29 National Parks: Thailand

webfact

Some of the parks here in the South only display the disparity in prices in Thai numerals , so many tourists would not even be aware of the differences.

It becomes a personal decision whether you deem it worth the 400bt ....It's a shame ,as ,living here, many of us now only visit somewhere once !

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do a lot of hiking in the hills, mountains around Chiang Mai. Never go near NP facilities. Hike in wilderness, rarely see another soul. I guess you only have to pay to go to a waterfall littered with trash. The real, natural countryside is free.

If as many here seem to think that pricing is based upon residency NOT nationality or race why do the notice boards say "Thai nationality" & "Other nationality"? Shouldn't they say "Thai resident" & "Non-resident", whereby residency for those who do not appear Thai can be proven with either a driving license, ID card, work permit etc. Personally I find the hiding of prices for Thais in Thai numerals deceitful as well as distasteful.

thaivsotherprices.jpg

Even though, as a Farang, I may qualify for the Thai price owing to 20+ years residency I will not enter any place that has a racist two-tier pricing policy.

Edited by Keesters

If as many here seem to think that pricing is based upon residency NOT nationality or race why do the notice boards say "Thai nationality" & "Other nationality"? Shouldn't they say "Thai resident" & "Non-resident", whereby residency for those who do not appear Thai can be proven with either a driving license, ID card, work permit etc. Personally I find the hiding of prices for Thais in Thai numerals deceitful as well as distasteful.

thaivsotherprices.jpg

Even though, as a Farang, I may qualify for the Thai price owing to 20+ years residency I will not enter any place that has a racist two-tier pricing policy.

Most places have a two-tier policy in Thailand. Most places will NOT accept a drivers licence for identification into their parks etc, They will only accept a Thai I.D. Card. So in the end if you want to go in to the parks etc with your friends or on your own, you will pay the difference. Thats the way it is here.

As a matter of interest, when I was holidaying in China earlier this year, I was often asked to show my ID at park entrances. I flourished my Aussie driver's licence, and in the majority of cases, they let me in for free, as I'm over 65!

However, in Australia we have 'residents' and 'non-resident' fees for museums and art galleries, and large discounts for Seniors. But, certainly not 10x the local fees.

When in Australia did the requirement to show ID to prove residency status for entering art galleries etc occur. I have never had to show any form of ID when entering such facilities - one price for all - except for discounts when showing the Seniors Card

Edited by simple1

I pay on average 1200 - 1500 Euros for a ticket to Khon Kaen via BKK. When I can´t afford 10,00 to visit a National Park, I better stay home.

Personally, I'd pay twice as that for a visit there and see this beautyful nature.

We all, the tourists - help Thailand to keep these parks

Well if you tourists are idiotic enough to pay then you undermine those of us who reside here who will not pay!

This is a racist:

This is not:

A person of any 'race' holding a Thai passport would get the Thai price.

It's not racist in that direction.

It's racist when a person of an Asian race and without a Thai passport gets the Thai price.

It's a difference between what is officially written and what is practiced in reality.

This is a racist:

This is not:

It's racist when a person of an Asian race and without a Thai passport gets the Thai price.

It's a difference between what is officially written and what is practiced in reality.

so the key difference is important.

The Thai government, the national parks etc, aren't racist.

Some morons at the gate might be, but many aren't.

A huge difference, but yet the some of the whingers here keep saying it is the former, not the latter.

This is a racist:

This is not:

A huge difference, but yet the some of the whingers here keep saying it is the former, not the latter.

Unfortunately, given the wide-spread lack of attention with uniformity and compliance, it is justified to label the National Park Dept. as racist for not addressing it after it's been brought to their attention for years.

It's more than "some morons at the gate" who are responsible for the racist policy in practice and the length of breadth of the tolerance for this racism makes the entire department duplicitous.

Edited by Buchholz

This is a racist:

This is not:

Unfortunately, given the wide-spread lack of attention with uniformity and compliance, it is justified to label the National Park Dept. as racist for not addressing it after it's been brought to their attention for years.

It's more than "some morons at the gate" who are responsible for the racist policy in practice and the length of breadth of the tolerance for this racism makes the entire department duplicitous.

I beg to differ of course - but much of this comes down to personal experience.

Jesus, people on here will whinge about anything, god knows why they even stay in Thailand at all. Yesterday it was the so called airport mafia.

If i want to go to a NP in Thailand, I will pay the entrance price- whether it be more or less than a Thai would pay, if i don't want to go i wont pay. Surely people have more important things in their life to worry about than this kind of thing.

Jesus, people on here will whinge about anything, god knows why they even stay in Thailand at all. Yesterday it was the so called airport mafia.

If i want to go to a NP in Thailand, I will pay the entrance price- whether it be more or less than a Thai would pay, if i don't want to go i wont pay. Surely people have more important things in their life to worry about than this kind of thing.

The occasional whinge is far better that holding everything inside and then exploding at something minor. That sort of thing is what leads to more dangerous situations. I say, whinge, complain, grumble, moan etc.. get it out of your system and then relax.

The occasional whinge is far better that holding everything inside and then exploding at something minor. That sort of thing is what leads to more dangerous situations. I say, whinge, complain, grumble, moan etc.. get it out of your system and then relax.

Correct, don't bottle it up like most Thai people do and when they finally crack it usually ends up with a very nasty outcome.

Edited by Artisi

No remaining fauna, weed infested flora. Very often not even worth the 40baht Thai entrance price...let alone 400. Might appeal to those coming from virtually treeless concrete jungles of foreign lands or Bangkok for example.

• Like 1

Really haven't eliminated the racist bigotry on that fee structure, like to see what would happen if they did this in OZ/ NZ or in our western friends above the equator, countriescoffee1.gif

My daughter has blond hair, blue eyes and is as white as the Irish and gets the Thai price.

That is cause she is a Thai citizen.

Race has nothing to do with it.

Simple mind! And do you pretend that she had not to show her ID or passport? I bet for everything I have that she had to show it and that the document was very meticulously (suspiciously) examined...

My mind might be simple, but at least it isn't feeble.

Hand over your cash sonny.

The only time I need to show my daughters Thai passport is at immigration.

I drive up and say (in Thai) two Thai tickets please. They hand them over and we are done.

And even if I did (which I don't) then so what? Someone said the policy was racist. My daugther clearly isn't your bog standard looking Thai. But she still gets the price she is entitled to, despite her appearance.

yep - she's the one in the middle just to rub it in some more....

You're having a laugh! They charge you for a baby?

I pay on average 1200 - 1500 Euros for a ticket to Khon Kaen via BKK. When I can´t afford 10,00 to visit a National Park, I better stay home.

Personally, I'd pay twice as that for a visit there and see this beautyful nature.

We all, the tourists - help Thailand to keep these parks

There's one born every minute!

• Like 1

You're having a laugh! They charge you for a baby?

Have a geez at the photo again, and the date on it - 2006. She's a strapping lass of 6 years now. Not that I'd be showing her current photo. That would be giving away too much.

Really haven't eliminated the racist bigotry on that fee structure, like to see what would happen if they did this in OZ/ NZ or in our western friends above the equator, countriescoffee1.gif

It is ilegal in Australia and there are very strict anti discrimination laws. One price for all (pensioners excluded)you can't charge based purely on race or ethnic appearance. Isn't there also international anti descrimination laws also? I guess Thailand isn't a signatory.

thaivsotherprices.jpg

Most places have a two-tier policy in Thailand. Most places will NOT accept a drivers licence for identification into their parks etc, They will only accept a Thai I.D. Card. So in the end if you want to go in to the parks etc with your friends or on your own, you will pay the difference. Thats the way it is here.

Thats the way it is here. Doesn't make it right or acceptable to many people. It is racism/discrimination pure and simple. Places that do this should be avoided like the plaque.

• Like 1

If it was very clearly setup as resident versus tourist then I would have less of a problem with it, but even then the price difference is ridiculous. As many others, I simply avoid National Parks, especially if I have foreign visitors staying with me.

It really is a stupid policy that has the effect of reducionig visitors to the parks, and hence reducing the quality of experience for visitors to Thailand. Doh!

• Like 2

The parks and zoos etc are that overpriced now in OZ that they would not be game to charge visitors more.

Because it is so expensive here now, they are loosing customers. Aussies are overpaid that much, is why prices are so high.

They can afford to pay the price here, where the average Thai cant pay the TB400.

Think about what you are saying .... a generalisation that Aussies / farangs CAN AFFORD to pay. That is not the dam_n point ! The point is that the fee structure is based on RACE for chrissake ! Following your reasoning to its logical conclusion ... You go to a park and and a hi so Thai in his Maserati can get in cheaper than you because YOU CAN AFFORD IT AND HE CANNOT. Put your brain in gear. It is racist racist racist !!! It is blatant and the most disgusting thing about it is that the dopey prkics who administer it think its OK <deleted> !!!!!

• Like 2

The parks and zoos etc are that overpriced now in OZ that they would not be game to charge visitors more.

Because it is so expensive here now, they are loosing customers. Aussies are overpaid that much, is why prices are so high.

They can afford to pay the price here, where the average Thai cant pay the TB400.

Think about what you are saying .... a generalisation that Aussies / farangs CAN AFFORD to pay. That is not the dam_n point ! The point is that the fee structure is based on RACE for chrissake ! Following your reasoning to its logical conclusion ... You go to a park and and a hi so Thai in his Maserati can get in cheaper than you because YOU CAN AFFORD IT AND HE CANNOT. Put your brain in gear. It is racist racist racist !!! It is blatant and the most disgusting thing about it is that the dopey prkics who administer it think its OK <deleted> !!!!!

I often wonder about the intellectual powers of people sometimes.

Think about it. If it was about race, then a white person with a Thai passport would be charge more. Fact is they aren't, they are charged a price give to all Thai's regardless of race.

The whole system is based on nationality, not race. Tell me a place is the world which doesn't t give preference to their nationals in some way shape or form on services or products provided by government.

I often wonder about the intellectual powers of people sometimes.

Think about it. If it was about race, then a white person with a Thai passport would be charge more. Fact is they aren't, they are charged a price give to all Thai's regardless of race.

The whole system is based on nationality, not race. Tell me a place is the world which doesn't t give preference to their nationals in some way shape or form on services or products provided by government.

I can't agree, Ayuthia 2010, I saw Chinese getting in for the Thai price. I see where you are coming from but from my experiences if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck the chances are it is a duck. I would be interested to hear from any caucasians with a Thai passport....

• Like 1

I can't agree, Ayuthia 2010, I saw Chinese getting in for the Thai price. I see where you are coming from but from my experiences if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck the chances are it is a duck. I would be interested to hear from any caucasians with a Thai passport....

See post 39.

I've also had the opposite. Malaysian Chinese friends made to pay the foreign price.

You see, I've had plenty of experience too.

See post 39.

I've also had the opposite. Malaysian Chinese friends made to pay the foreign price.

You see, I've had plenty of experience too.

Well in my 20+ years of experience I'd say that more non-Thai Asians (Malaysian, Burmese, Cambodian, Chinese etc.) get in for Thai price than don't. I know plenty of Cambodians who just walk up to the ticket office lay down the money and get a Thai priced ticket. So how does the booth operator know to give a Thai ticket and not a Farang one? By the color and features of their face. Now if that ain't racist then I don't know what is. If the policy is to be based on nationality or residency then ALL visitors should be required to show ID, Thais and foreigner alike.

• Like 1

I don't think us 'local' foreigners would care too much if the money actually went 100% into the correct usage attached to the charge but we know otherwise. But as a local foreigner, you only need to pull out a work permit or Thai Drivers license and you will be charged Thai rates. The sting is mainly for 'visitors' who they feel can afford to pay it having been able to afford the holiday here in the first place. There is 'some' logic in that.

But as a local foreigner, you only need to pull out a work permit or Thai Drivers license and you will be charged Thai rates.

Not in all cases...neither have worked for me at Mini Siam and Ripley's in Pattaya.

The sting is mainly for 'visitors' who they feel can afford to pay it having been able to afford the holiday here in the first place

And if it is for visitors then say so and make the charge based upon residency. Overseas visiting Thais therefore pay the same price as a US or EU tourist after all they pay no Thai taxes unlike many of us Farang who pay more in tax here than the average Thai earns.