Sphagnum Moss

seajae

do they have sphagnum moss in Thailand and if so where would I get it. I have been trying to get cuttings to grow roots but the climate here is playing havoc with them and several have started to rot so I am going to try a method I used in Australia which is bagging the cuttings with sphagnum moss(or similar) and getting them to grow roots without the humidity/rain hitting them.

Dennis

"When in Rome" ....wink.png .

Why not do as the locals do and use shredded coconut fibre? (from the dried husks) ....

Soak in water before using, it generally works! But there many plants here, you can just set cuttings into the ground or pot... and they will root... providing a bit of TLC is given... smile.png

Coincidentally I asked my wife today to check up on Sphagnum moss. Apparently it grows high up on Doi Inthanon and Doi Suthep. She also found a company selling the dried stuff for around 1,000 Baht a kilogram. I'm currently trying to decide whether or not coconut fibre can make a satisfactory substitute.

Coincidentally I asked my wife today to check up on Sphagnum moss. Apparently it grows high up on Doi Inthanon and Doi Suthep. She also found a company selling the dried stuff for around 1,000 Baht a kilogram. I'm currently trying to decide whether or not coconut fibre can make a satisfactory substitute.

Actually I used the really fine coconut fibre as a substitute in Australia but I have only been able to find the course stuff here. I used ti buy it in block then soak it to expand then squeeze the water out to use it in bags, I also added growth hormones to the water before soaking it, worked a treat.

Dennis

Actually I used the really fine coconut fibre as a substitute in Australia but I have only been able to find the course stuff here. I used ti buy it in block then soak it to expand then squeeze the water out to use it in bags, I also added growth hormones to the water before soaking it, worked a treat.

Dennis

The fine coconut fibre is available on Samui, large bags for 100 baht... (chunky stuff too) ... I guessing it gets shipped in from else where in Thailand...?

I assume you have checked some of the larger Garden Centres around you...?

Moss at a 1000 baht a Kilo, sounds expensive, but would guess when dried would be a fair amount..... And yes it would prefer the cooler night temperatures to be growing at higher altitudes.

It's hard to know where you guys are posting from... this is a "large" country, with different climate zones !!!! wink.png

Just out of curiosity what are you trying to propagate?

I have checked out the local garden places, they have bugger all, had to drive 100km to get my bags of good black soil with coco fibre and cow poo mixed in plus all my bags of chunky coco husk for my mulch. I am growing frangipani(plumeria), they need to be reasonably dry to grow roots and will rot very easily so bagging is a great way to go, especially now with all the rain. I will keep looking for spag moss/fine coco fibre but have used a mix of my black soil with lots of river sand and vitamin B1 for the ones I did yesterday, will see how they go.

Dennis

I have checked out the local garden places, they have bugger all, had to drive 100km to get my bags of good black soil with coco fibre and cow poo mixed in plus all my bags of chunky coco husk for my mulch. I am growing frangipani(plumeria), they need to be reasonably dry to grow roots and will rot very easily so bagging is a great way to go, especially now with all the rain. I will keep looking for spag moss/fine coco fibre but have used a mix of my black soil with lots of river sand and vitamin B1 for the ones I did yesterday, will see how they go.

Dennis

Have you tried using carbonised rice husk in the soil?

I hadnt actually thought of rice husks, might be a good idea.

Dennis

I burn them (pyrolisis) and use them to improve soil. Raise pH in acid soils, retain six times their weight of water, vast drainage improvement and act like lime but over much longer term. My soil is Issan clay, 40-40-20 dirt, compost and CRH and 6 months later it is close to loam.

Dennis

Might be hard to find rice husks, in Surat Thani, I did think of mentioning that yesterday... but needed to know where you were. !!! wink.png

You'll find in northern Songkhla, in the rice growing areas around Ranot, not that much of a drive if you have a pickup! But could be hard to actually locate a place to find... unless you know someone down there or have a Thai to help translate, as not a lot of English used in that area!

I have never seen rice husks, for sale in Surat areas!

When I put Plumeria into pot or ground I actually mix a bit of gravel into the soil to help drainage ... (usually the "soil" from the small bags ... which is usually fine coconut fibre anyway! )... but my Thai neighbours use plain old local dirt, with success too.... I have also seen them use chunks of charcoal used to mix with the soil .... thumbsup.gif

I find when making the cuttings that having fungus free plants helps.... some seem more prone to it than others (regardless of type of Frangipani (Plumeria)

For those in southern Thailand gardening related questions can now be asked on this link... thumbsup.gif .... (local mods will be making that official soon...!!! ) wink.png

http://www.thaivisa....on-the-islands/

Dennis

Might be hard to find rice husks, in Surat Thani, I did think of mentioning that yesterday... but needed to know where you were. !!! wink.png

You'll find in northern Songkhla, in the rice growing areas around Ranot, not that much of a drive if you have a pickup! But could be hard to actually locate a place to find... unless you know someone down there or have a Thai to help translate, as not a lot of English used in that area!

When I put Plumeria into pot or ground I actually mix a bit of gravel into the soil to help drainage ... (usually the "soil" from the small bags ... which is usually fine coconut fibre anyway! )... but my Thai neighbours use plain old local dirt, with success too.... I have also seen them use chunks of charcoal used to mix with the soil .... thumbsup.gif

I find when making the cuttings that having fungus free plants helps.... some seem more prone to it than others (regardless of type of Frangipani (Plumeria)

For those in southern Thailand gardening related questions can now be asked on this link... thumbsup.gif .... (local mods will be making that official soon...!!! ) wink.png

Thanks mate, I have been growing these plants for years and I am regarded as on of the top growers in Australia, I also have my own websites to help other growers around the world, in Australia our farm has over 6,000 trees on it. What I do here is the top of the market and I only grow the rarer varieties and create new hybrids so I really need a method that is 100% succesful. Due to the differing climates/local conditions in each country I have to adjust what I do slighly to achieve this so I cannot use the methods that most others do as the chances of losing a unique variety is too high, that is why I like to stick to the methods I have developed. I have seen a lot of nice frangipani in Thailand but they are in poor condition because the locals have no idea how to make them healthy and to grow them correctly. They are a fairly easy plant to propogate but to do what I am doing is a whole different ball game, all the info I am getting in here on where to get different requirements is great and helps me a lot, I really do appreciate everything the members are telling me.

Dennis

Dennis

I burn them (pyrolisis) and use them to improve soil. Raise pH in acid soils, retain six times their weight of water, vast drainage improvement and act like lime but over much longer term. My soil is Issan clay, 40-40-20 dirt, compost and CRH and 6 months later it is close to loam.

Thanks for that, its great to know.

Dennis

Dennis

Thanks mate, I have been growing these plants for years and I am regarded as on of the top growers in Australia, I also have my own websites to help other growers around the world, in Australia our farm has over 6,000 trees on it. What I do here is the top of the market and I only grow the rarer varieties and create new hybrids so I really need a method that is 100% succesful. Due to the differing climates/local conditions in each country I have to adjust what I do slighly to achieve this so I cannot use the methods that most others do as the chances of losing a unique variety is too high, that is why I like to stick to the methods I have developed. I have seen a lot of nice frangipani in Thailand but they are in poor condition because the locals have no idea how to make them healthy and to grow them correctly. They are a fairly easy plant to propogate but to do what I am doing is a whole different ball game, all the info I am getting in here on where to get different requirements is great and helps me a lot, I really do appreciate everything the members are telling me.

Dennis

Pleased to try to help here ....

It's not always easy to locate items we need in different localities... (but sometimes items can be found in the oddest places, one would not think to look)...... and or adjusting to local methods, some of which are not so good compared to "western" standards, but that is not always the case!

I have learned a few good things from locals, but it is like anywhere, there has to be a genuine interest in what you are doing!! I have found on Samui here at least, we have some knowledgeable nursery operators, and even with language barriers, one can communicate with a fellow horticulturist .... wink.png

I hope we might see you helping with your obvious wealth of knowledge on you have on Plumarias and anything else garden related!!! thumbsup.gif

If you are looking for rice husks or rice husk ash it might be worth going to the local brickworks as they often use rice husks to fire the bricks.

The ash that is left over is mixed with the clay to make the bricks. The ash helps determine the final colour of the bricks.

(edit: I did make my own 'soil' using sawdust, sawdust ash and local soil - equal parts. I added small solid pellets for nutrient - seems to drain well but also retain moisture. Tomato plants approx 6'' high from seed in 19 days)

Edited by Johnjc

Depending on what is grown in your area, there are two main sources of biochar that is usually a waste product and given away. The bagasse for sugar cane is burnt to boil water and/or electricity generation in the sugar mill. Rice husks are used in the same way in large mills but mostly just given away by the small ones. You can make rice hull biochar very easily.

I use rice husk which I get by the pickup load by just going to the local rice mill and bagging up as much as I want. Enjoying a beer with the miller is the only cost. In the pyrolisis process (burning in limited oxygen) the original volume is reduced by 50%.

Both are great sources of carbon in compost and as soil improvers. Rice husk biochar is also a great water filteration media to remove suspended solids. If you want to use it that way then wash it two or three times to remove the sulphur and other elements until the water runs through clean.

Rice husk has a high lignan content which means it breaks down very slowly and also does not soak up much water. But it does aerate the soil.

For pot plants Carbonised rice husk CRH is the best for drainage and water retention.

If you cant get either then charcoal can be ground up as long as it is completely burnt to do similar work. Check out artilcles of gasification on the web. Burn any of it to ash and you have a great source of potash (potassium).

Hello All, the new issue of House Ag Magazine has an add for

KU Garden(BKK-by JJ) showing Spag Moss, comes in several

sizes. The Distro is www.yvp.co.th

The add is on pg.68 of the Nov. issue

rice555

ps I've also found it in a ag store downtown Korat before.

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis

The fine coconut fibre is available on Samui, large bags for 100 baht... (chunky stuff too) ... I guessing it gets shipped in from else where in Thailand...?

Moss at a 1000 baht a Kilo, sounds expensive, but would guess when dried would be a fair amount..... And yes it would prefer the cooler night temperatures to be growing at higher altitudes.

It's hard to know where you guys are posting from... this is a "large" country, with different climate zones !!!! wink.png

I'm looking for a medium that supports carnivorous plants, I have some reservations about coconut fibre as I have read some has a high salt content (coastal land?). I'm based in Phayao province close to the Laos border.

Dennis

I'm looking for a medium that supports carnivorous plants, I have some reservations about coconut fibre as I have read some has a high salt content (coastal land?). I'm based in Phayao province close to the Laos border.

All I can add to this, is if you use coconut fibre from coconuts away from coastal areas, (off the beach) the salt level should not be high... locals here on Samui, certainly use coconut fibre,.. but not from coconuts off the beach...wink.png