Taxi Drivers File Lese-majesty Complaint Against Sondhi

george

Taxi drivers file lese-majesty complaint against Sondhi

BANGKOK: -- An advocacy group for taxi drivers Tuesday filed a complaint accusing government critic Sondhi Limthongkul of committing lese-majesty relating to his anti-Thaksin rally at the Royal Plaza on Saturday.

"Sondhi had used foul words on the grounds of the Dusit Palace and submitted a petition to His Majesty the King by wrongfully invoking the Thai people," Taxi Drivers Protection Association chairman Chinnawat Haboonpad said.

Chinnawat called on Metropolitan Police Bureau to investigate into Sondhi's alleged misconduct during the rally.

He also said Sondhi had obstructed traffic at the Royal Plaza and urged him to move his rally site elsewhere this coming Saturday.

Reacting to the complaint, Maj General Pramote Pathumwong, commander of Metropolitan Police Region 1, said he had assigned Dusit Police station to look into the matter.

--The Nation 2006-02-07

BANGKOK: -- An advocacy group for taxi drivers Tuesday filed a complaint accusing government critic Sondhi Limthongkul of committing lese-majesty relating to his anti-Thaksin rally at the Royal Plaza on Saturday.

"Sondhi had used foul words on the grounds of the Dusit Palace and submitted a petition to His Majesty the King by wrongfully invoking the Thai people," Taxi Drivers Protection Association chairman Chinnawat Haboonpad said.

Chinnawat called on Metropolitan Police Bureau to investigate into Sondhi's alleged misconduct during the rally.

He also said Sondhi had obstructed traffic at the Royal Plaza and urged him to move his rally site elsewhere this coming Saturday.

Reacting to the complaint, Maj General Pramote Pathumwong, commander of Metropolitan Police Region 1, said he had assigned Dusit Police station to look into the matter.

--The Nation 2006-02-07

""Thaksin slammed over ‘rude, aggressive speech’""

Published on December 27, 2005 THE NATION.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra came under fire yesterday for what critics viewed as improper language and behaviour during in his strongly-worded speech to taxi drivers on Sunday. Thaksin shrugged off the criticism yesterday, saying he simply “bade farewell to the old after a whole year of being assailed”

TAXI DRIVERS??? I doubt they even understand the concept of lese majeste.

I wonder who prompted this little angle?

Perhaps they are reacting negatively towards Sondhi due to the fact that Mister Ample Rich handed out money and prizes to large numbers a while back at Sanam Luang. :D:o:D

Edited by ratcatcher

No matter who files, the anti-PM crowd will say the same. It's not just the taxi drivers who feel this way. Those in the gold, gems, rice, etc. merchant associations have better things to do and understand that no matter what Sondhi or Thaksin say or do, nothing much will change. It's no more than material for amusing dinner time discussion.

From commoners to the well to do merchant class, there are many who agree that while it's admirable that Sondhi is doing well as his role as a watchdog, it's inappropriate that he often uses the monarchy as a vehicle for his protests.

:o

From commoners to the well to do merchant class, there are many who agree that while it's admirable that Sondhi is doing well as his role as a watchdog, it's inappropriate that he often uses the monarchy as a vehicle for his protests.
After HM, most recently in his last birthday speech, expressed his wish that people should stop suing each other for lèse majesté, we see this happen again.

Bad move on the part of the taxi drivers, who I think were put up to it by somebody.

---------------

Maestro

:o

Man! I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the taxi guy delivered the message. Can only imagine the scene…

Taxi: Sawadee Khrap

Guy behind desk: Khrap

Taxi: I have to…I mean…I would like to deliver a com…computer…sh##...no. no wait…a comp …eh…complai…f###…one moment please….(rehearsing)

Guy behind desk: Can I help you?

Taxin: (Sorry! Spelling error should be Taxi): I would like to deliver…a…this…eh….I have a note from my father…

But bless em. The picture in penzman post says it all.

Actually they are nice fellows. They are the ones that have tort me all the foul words in both Thai and Lao.

After HM, most recently in his last birthday speech, expressed his wish that people should stop suing each other for lèse majesté, we see this happen again.

Bad move on the part of the taxi drivers, who I think were put up to it by somebody.

---------------

Maestro

Here we go again! Someone else using the Lesse Majesty thing to further their own ends. Surely the whole law should be administered by some Royal Bureau, and they alone should be able to decide if it is Lesse Majesty?

Funnily enough I returned to the Royal Plaza on Saturday, picking a taxi up from Khoa San Road (where, incidentally, I don't have to live). The driver headed in the general direction of the Royal Plaza which is basically at the end of Rajadamnoen, but then we found ourselves going down Nakhon Sawan Road, and where it meets with Phitsanulok Raod I instructed him very clearly in Thai to turn left to get to the plaza, but he turns right......then I told him to do a U-turn, but he misses a very obvious turning point and we're heading into BKK proper....with the guy looking at me with a look of complete disdain.....I told him to stop, paid the fare and slammed the door......at the time I thought the reason I got the run around was because I had made the mistake of getting a taxi from KSR, but subsequently after reading some of the posts on this board.....I think it was more likely the Sondhi factor!

Obnoxious bunch some of these taxi-drivers!

The new way to call a cab in BKK .

" TAXI-N!"

Good one.

I think in future, before I even bother to tell him where I want to go to, I'll just express my liking for Sondhi and dislike for Thaksin!

"Sondhi...chaub mark.....

......Thaksin.... mai chaub.....khit alai?"