Paying Someone To Extend Tourist Visa

drnkurmlkshk

Can someone please give me information on how to do this? Hopefully it is someone with connections that can do it today... today is the last day for me.

If they can't do it today I am still interested in having this done. I never want to go back to the immigration office again.

Also just a warning: They randomly changed it so the early morning sign up sheet didn't matter. Now you just race for a ticket when the door open. Waited 2.5 hours this morning for nothing apparently. I am so pissed off right now!

does this mean the 5:30 am sign up sheet is not even being put out? so no point going at 5:30am? or did you sign up at 5:30 and then someone declared a "free for all" day... and since TIT... who can even guess what it means next week, or next month....????

Sounds like the original poster left it to the very last moment to extend his visa. Not smart. If today is your last day, you'll likely have to forget it. Maybe book a flight out of the country and return with either a tourist visa or just take the 30 days given to all on arriving (that is, approved countries of origin). I've always gone to Immigration several days before my visa expires for this reason.

If your visa has expired and you are stopped by the police or involved in an accident, you will be summarily taken to jail!

Edited by TheVicar

Wow! I'm amazed that they scraped the pre-queue sign-in list. It was started to avoid exactly the sort of free-for-all described by the OP. It had become a situation where elderly people were knocked down, fist fights broke out, etc. Very unsafe. It would be nice to have some confirmation that the pre-queue sign-in list has indeed been scraped or if the OP just came in on a very bad day where the Immigration guy who comes out to turn on the machine wasn't there and his replacement didn't understand the importance of going thru the list.

Incidentally, it would help if they used some sort of PA system to announce names on that list. Everyone crowds around to hear the guy and that also could be unsafe.

No one likes going to Immigration, it is like getting your brain sucked by the undead, albeit with a tsunami of unmitigtated boredom and abject stupidity thown in. Probably a visa service would be the best option if they can jump to the front of the queue as so many have seen so often. Not that they are paying kickbacks, they are just popular. Regardless, you have a problem that needs solving with cash, and that is what Thailand is all about.

Has it ever been considered that a few of us farangs should write to our respective embassies, and start protesting about the way visa renewals etc are handled here? (and reporting responses back to this forum)

Most Western countries issue a visa for a year or more if you are a resident. Tourist visas are another thing altogether, but the 90 day business leaves a lot to be desired, as does the pushing and shoving and long delays at the Chiang Mai Immigration office.

It costs more than $200.00 to get a Non-Immigrant visa in overseas embassies and consulates, and then we're blessed with having to do this 90day battle or travel out of the country merely to get the same visa extended.

Imagine if Australia or New Zealand insisted on long-stay persons having to depart the country every 90 days.

Whinge, moan, etc.

Has it ever been considered that a few of us farangs should write to our respective embassies, and start protesting about the way visa renewals etc are handled here? (and reporting responses back to this forum)

Most Western countries issue a visa for a year or more if you are a resident. Tourist visas are another thing altogether, but the 90 day business leaves a lot to be desired, as does the pushing and shoving and long delays at the Chiang Mai Immigration office.

It costs more than $200.00 to get a Non-Immigrant visa in overseas embassies and consulates, and then we're blessed with having to do this 90day battle or travel out of the country merely to get the same visa extended.

Imagine if Australia or New Zealand insisted on long-stay persons having to depart the country every 90 days.

Whinge, moan, etc.

Not sure I understand what you are saying? It's only once a year that you have to extend your Non-Immigrant Visa here (at least for O-A). Appointments are made on-line. Show up at the time of your appointment. In and out in an hour or less. 90-day reporting you mean? Do it by post. Easy as cake. Pushing and shoving??? I go to Immigration once a year at the time of my appointment.

If you are living here on tourists visas, that is not what they are intended for. Get a long-stay visa.

Maybe I'm not completely understanding what you are saying. I don't see the hassle at all.

Edited by elektrified

This is for everyone who would like your consulates or embassies to help with the (sort of) free-for-all conditions at CM Immigration:

1. Have you registered your whereabouts on line with your embassy? If not, how many hours will they spend trying to find your next-of-kin if you have a problem?

2. Do you have a Thai Will, an Advanced Health Care Directive and a Power of Attorney for your financial affairs, especially if you are over age 60?

3. Do you have a trusted friend here in Thailand who knows your wishes and is able to access your bank accounts if you were suddenly incapacitated?

I'm not going to get into all the other stuff about "do you keep your BMI within acceptable range" and "do you refrain from smoking (at all) or drinking alcohol (to excess)"

From the little bit I've seen, the consulates and (grossly unpaid) honorary consulates are so busy cleaning up messes from their citizen who ignore #1-3 that they don't have time to educate Immigration about how they should conduct business.

In other words, let's all get our houses in order before we start to throw stones.!

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Wow! I'm amazed that they scraped the pre-queue sign-in list. It was started to avoid exactly the sort of free-for-all described by the OP. It had become a situation where elderly people were knocked down, fist fights broke out, etc. Very unsafe. It would be nice to have some confirmation that the pre-queue sign-in list has indeed been scraped or if the OP just came in on a very bad day where the Immigration guy who comes out to turn on the machine wasn't there and his replacement didn't understand the importance of going thru the list.

Incidentally, it would help if they used some sort of PA system to announce names on that list. Everyone crowds around to hear the guy and that also could be unsafe.

Wow.. I literally had no idea.. My extension is in the cool season so I just sit outside on a sunny morning, with a coffee and play Angry Birds or annoy random people on Thaivisa.com for a bit until I get called in. It's honestly no different than going to some cafe or restaurant and doing the same. Actually the people watching is better at Immigration. (even beating Moon Muang Soi 2, or Chiang Mai Zoo. )

Yes you have to show up in person, but submitting the application and any documentation can be done for you. (Send the Mrs, or anyone else) Then she calls when it's almost due and you just mosey on over.

Ah, the challenges of life in the third world. rolleyes.gif

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

im alittle confused about what is happening and the pre-queue sign in list, whats that? the last time i had been there, i just tell the girl in uni uniform at the ticket counter and she gave me a ticket where i wait for my number to be called.

p.s the little canteen outside have pretty nice food

As of the 1st November 2012 they have changed the system.. no more sign up sheet and i understand they are wanting people to have everything ready (photcopies, photos) before getting a number. I was at immigration the other day and the thing that pissed me off was queing up an hour for the photo copies ! I agree they should make getting a longer stay visa easier.. simply complete an application form, show them your passport, pay the money, get the visa, why all the messing about !

So what happens to people who have their copies, photos, completed forms ready and show up early, say 6:30 am so they can get a queue number? Do they have to push and shove people who come thru the door the moment they turn on the queue ticket machine?

Keep in mind, there are a very limited number of queue tickets given each day for those doing marriage or retirement extensions. Normally, they're all taken by the time they go thru the pre-queue sign-in list.

Edited by NancyL

This is a useful thread.

First, I totally agree with Nancy L with the following points (All practical advice for expatriates) she made above:

1. Have you registered your whereabouts on line with your embassy? If not, how many hours will they spend trying to find your next-of-kin if you have a problem?

2. Do you have a Thai Will, an Advanced Health Care Directive and a Power of Attorney for your financial affairs, especially if you are over age 60?

3. Do you have a trusted friend here in Thailand who knows your wishes and is able to access your bank accounts if you were suddenly incapacitated?

But I absolutely do not agree with NancyL's general attitude which reflects a rather judgmental and insular view of living in Thailand similar to the "where's the best Sunday roast" in town" point of view. It reflects the perspective often apparent on TV Chiang Mai of so many "financially-challenged" middle-class sorts --- in tenuous retirement from so many other countries because of some web-scanning results of "LOS" media or web-induced tourist and retirement hype; here in Chiang Mai, primarily because a place like Chiang Mai seems "cheap" but "civilized" (But no Wslmarts...yet!) for those on limited budgets. So they arrive and park in various rentals, such as Huey Kaeo and Nimmanhamen condos, and worry about where they are going to get a hamburger or a "lovely" Italian dinner. This sort of "Lady Expats at Lunch" or "Expats Club" approach is tolerable --- It is a matter of choice, after all --- but is it admirable?

You will have noticed that I have not said anything about "sexpats" of any particular sexual preference, even pedophiles. The latter is another situation. But these are not that crowds (sub-cultures?) I write about. I am writing about the Western "middle-class complainers (most of them retired) on a budget." It seems many of them spend a lot of time here on TV Chiang Mai. They LOVE to complain! Your typical retirement community, I suppose! What else have they got to do except play some version of quoits, or count their coupons toward a free dinner or some plastic geegaw from Tops? Well, la-de-da !!! And I am not including any discussion of the "teaching English to orphans on alternate Tuesdays and Thursdays, if it is not my day for Bridge and someone can give me a ride to the orphanage" crowd." Actually, I think I should include them, but maybe later!

Aside from NancyL's expat existential point of view and actually quite modest if cynical carping --- [" (sort of) free-for-all conditions at CM Immigration"] --- there is an obtuse ignorance and lack of recognition and understanding of the huge immigration problems that Thailand faces. These problems make day-to-day Western expatriate frustrations with the Immigration office absolutely laughable in comparison, NancyL!

But you are absolutely bang on with your by-the-numbers advice: If you are an expat, she advises: get your bloody house in order and tell those who might help you where you are so that you are less a burden on people when you can not cope for yourself!

Seems that a lot of children of the "Me Generation" (Read Tom Wolfe, anyone?) have settled here and are too busy contemplating their navels!

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

This is a useful thread.

First, I totally agree with Nancy L with the following points (All practical advice for expatriates) she made above:

But I absolutely do not agree with NancyL's general attitude which reflects a rather judgmental and insular view of living in Thailand similar to the "where's the best Sunday roast" in town" point of view. It reflects the perspective often apparent on TV Chiang Mai of so many "financially-challenged" middle-class sorts --- in tenuous retirement from so many other countries because of some web-scanning results of "LOS" media or web-induced tourist and retirement hype; here in Chiang Mai, primarily because a place like Chiang Mai seems "cheap" but "civilized" (But no Wslmarts...yet!) for those on limited budgets. So they arrive and park in various rentals, such as Huey Kaeo and Nimmanhamen condos, and worry about where they are going to get a hamburger or a "lovely" Italian dinner. This sort of "Lady Expats at Lunch" or "Expats Club" approach is tolerable --- It is a matter of choice, after all --- but is it admirable?

You will have noticed that I have not said anything about "sexpats" of any particular sexual preference, even pedophiles. The latter is another situation. But these are not that crowds (sub-cultures?) I write about. I am writing about the Western "middle-class complainers (most of them retired) on a budget." It seems many of them spend a lot of time here on TV Chiang Mai. They LOVE to complain! Your typical retirement community, I suppose! What else have they got to do except play some version of quoits, or count their coupons toward a free dinner or some plastic geegaw from Tops? Well, la-de-da !!! And I am not including any discussion of the "teaching English to orphans on alternate Tuesdays and Thursdays, if it is not my day for Bridge and someone can give me a ride to the orphanage" crowd." Actually, I think I should include them, but maybe later!

Aside from NancyL's expat existential point of view and actually quite modest if cynical carping --- [" (sort of) free-for-all conditions at CM Immigration"] --- there is an obtuse ignorance and lack of recognition and understanding of the huge immigration problems that Thailand faces. These problems make day-to-day Western expatriate frustrations with the Immigration office absolutely laughable in comparison, NancyL!

But you are absolutely bang on with your by-the-numbers advice: If you are an expat, she advises: get your bloody house in order and tell those who might help you where you are so that you are less a burden on people when you can not cope for yourself!

Seems that a lot of children of the "Me Generation" (Read Tom Wolfe, anyone?) have settled here and are too busy contemplating their navels!

It does seem you complain about those you declare as complainers. Immigration is only a problem for those who deem it so. Get a on line que 15 minutes later walk out with extension of stay. When you wait until the last moment as the OP did you are only askinhg for trouble

Whinge, moan, etc.

Not sure I understand what you are saying? It's only once a year that you have to extend your Non-Immigrant Visa here (at least for O-A). Appointments are made on-line. Show up at the time of your appointment. In and out in an hour or less. 90-day reporting you mean? Do it by post. Easy as cake. Pushing and shoving??? I go to Immigration once a year at the time of my appointment.

If you are living here on tourists visas, that is not what they are intended for. Get a long-stay visa.

Maybe I'm not completely understanding what you are saying. I don't see the hassle at all.

You make it sound so simple reality is different. They only have 10appointments a day and process over 30 a day.

I agree with you on the ease of just mailing in the 90 day report but going there is not a lengthy process The last time I renewed for a year I noticed that around 2;00 they had hardly any people coming in for it and they had all ready processed over 80 people.

The one time I came in early for the 90 day I got number 17 and was out of there by 9:15 The only time I spent any time at al was when I came in at 10:30 got number 62 and got out f there at 12:05.

I never take a chance when going for the yearly renewal I take a book with me. Generally speaking I find some interesting people to talk with also and we don't talk about how we think immigration could make are lives so much simpler. There is lots of good things here in Thailand to talk about as well as interesting people.

I notice the OP did not give the system a chance he just went home and posted here hoping some one would take care of it for him. He should have put the amount of money he was willing to pay. He sure dd not give any one time enough to do the job. He culd have offered who ever had a number a few ahead of him some money to call him when it was getting close. I have no sympathy for the man.

Edited by hellodolly

This is a useful thread.

I am only responding to this part of your dialogue some good some not so good.

You say

"I am writing about the Western "middle-class complainers (most of them retired) on a budget." It seems many of them spend a lot of time here on TV Chiang Mai. They LOVE to complain! Your typical retirement community, I suppose!"

65,000 baht a month is a nice size budget.

I agree with you on that point 100% but I would also like to add to it the supposedly employed complainers whom seem to have a lot of time to spend on Thai Visa but no time to renew. If people are retired I see no reason unless they have a severe disability to complain about the yearly renewal. If there is a severe disability involved I agree there should be a better system. Maybe there is. I do not ever recall seeing some one in a wheel chair sitting there.

For the rest of us If you are lucky enough t get one of the10 appointments congratulations please do not use it as a statement that it is fast to renew. You are in the Minority they will process over 30 a day plus the ten. The rest of us are retirees and by definition have nothing to do that is important. I am not including severely disabled or hospitalized people in that statement.

So, Mapguy, what are YOU doing to improve the situation for elderly expats who may be creating a burden for the Thai people -- other than "carping" about it on Thai Visa -- to use your characterization of my observations of the situation at Immigration?

Is it within your power to change Thai regulations regarding the granting of retirement visas or to enforce the rules already in place? Can you change the practices of the insurance industry or "get" the Thai government to permit elderly expats to have some sort of health coverage?

Do you have any sway with the various consulates that are unable to loan money to their elderly citizens so they can return to their home country's welfare safely net?

Please, do tell, what you're doing since you think you've done a good job of characterizing my contributions (incidentally, I don't play bridge. Wish I had the time, but I'm too busy visiting elderly expats and Thai social workers in the hospitals.)

Edited by NancyL

People you are being a little crazy if you think this is somehow my fault. The system at the immigration office is horribly inefficient and corrupt. Also my way of doing it worked just fine for the last 30 months... and then they changed it without telling anyone. There is a clear problem when there is a MASSIVE line *every* day. Someone at the office should take a little bit of initiative and solve that problem. There is simply no reason people should be waiting so long like that. It is *really* clear where the fault lies. This is what you get when you mix third world stupidity and greed with the incompetence of government "organizations".

BTW I did get it taken care of that day and did not have to pay any over stay. Due to forum rules I guess I am not allowed to say anything more than that.

Edited by drnkurmlkshk

People you are being a little crazy if you think this is somehow my fault. The system at the immigration office is horribly inefficient and corrupt. Also my way of doing it worked just fine for the last 30 months... and then they changed it without telling anyone. There is a clear problem when there is a MASSIVE line *every* day. Someone at the office should take a little bit of initiative and solve that problem. There is simply no reason people should be waiting so long like that. It is *really* clear where the fault lies. This is what you get when you mix third world stupidity and greed with the incompetence of government "organizations".

BTW I did get it taken care of that day and did not have to pay any over stay. Due to forum rules I guess I am not allowed to say anything more than that.

One thing that is wonderful about Thailand is how, if you adjust, your hypertension problems could go away. There is a wonderful Thai expression in common use that basically means "Relax," "Keep a cool heart." It is useful not just to learn, but to practice. You'll' feel a lot better about life --- anywhere!

So, Mapguy, what are YOU doing to improve the situation for elderly expats who may be creating a burden for the Thai people -- other than "carping" about it on Thai Visa -- to use your characterization of my observations of the situation at Immigration?

Is it within your power to change Thai regulations regarding the granting of retirement visas or to enforce the rules already in place? Can you change the practices of the insurance industry or "get" the Thai government to permit elderly expats to have some sort of health coverage?

Do you have any sway with the various consulates that are unable to loan money to their elderly citizens so they can return to their home country's welfare safely net?

Please, do tell, what you're doing since you think you've done a good job of characterizing my contributions (incidentally, I don't play bridge. Wish I had the time, but I'm too busy visiting elderly expats and Thai social workers in the hospitals.)

One of the key phrases you have used is to "improve the situation [for expats] who may be creating a burden for the Thai people." I don't have a conclusive answer for that. It seems to me (that I mentioned in another thread about expat problems, "Aging Expats in Trouble...") that is on this forum that there isn't one ready answer. Sorry, I haven't the full title of the thread in hand. If interested, you'll find it on page 2 or 3 of this forum.

To alleviate the "aging expat" problem two things might help. One is to tighten up standards for admission as non-immigrants (other than tourists) be increasing financial requirements and tightening up reporting. The other is more aggressive enforcement of existing standards. Of course, as you challenged, I do not have the power to encourage and enforce such changes. My reaction, from the sidelines (or in line at the Immigration Office!) is that Thailand is remarkably tolerant. One harsh suggestion would be to (with due care) put the "stranded" expat on a plane back to the home country, most of which I wager have more social services for such people. Thailand really doesn't. Why should it be expected to have such?

Otherwise, I am glad to read that you are working with expats and social workers. I think you are an exception to those (i.e., the "Bridge crowd") I described before --- and good on you. You will certainly, on an individual basis, be very helpful, but you can only do so much. That much, on an individual-by-individual basis is probably wonderfully welcome. I'll bet the consulates love you for taking work off their desks!

"Sway" with consulates?" Of course, I don't have such influence. Various country policies (and there are variations) are dictated by the political (certainly budgetary) consideration and action of the countries they represent. Why should anyone be surprised that many expatriates who have made their own personal poor decisions financially and otherwise to come here be a burden upon their countries? Each of them independently made the decision to get on the plane! Many of them hide, actually hide, from their governments (and lie to them) because their home countries' social welfare policies are not tailored to suit their personal needs.

So, we remain vexed.

PS Aha! Went looking. Here's the link. It was on page 4:

Edited by Mapguy

OK Mapguy, so you're trying to make nice. But how do you address this posting:

"But I absolutely do not agree with NancyL's general attitude which reflects a rather judgmental and insular view of living in Thailand similar to the "where's the best Sunday roast" in town" point of view. It reflects the perspective often apparent on TV Chiang Mai of so many "financially-challenged" middle-class sorts --- in tenuous retirement from so many other countries because of some web-scanning results of "LOS" media or web-induced tourist and retirement hype; here in Chiang Mai, primarily because a place like Chiang Mai seems "cheap" but "civilized" (But no Wslmarts...yet!) for those on limited budgets. So they arrive and park in various rentals, such as Huey Kaeo and Nimmanhamen condos, and worry about where they are going to get a hamburger or a "lovely" Italian dinner. This sort of "Lady Expats at Lunch" or "Expats Club" approach is tolerable --- It is a matter of choice, after all --- but is it admirable?"

Certainly anyone who has taken a college-level socialogy course would know that it's older women who really "make" a society.

Somewhere between discussions of the latest new restaurant and my new handbag, we manage to figure out what to do about Mr. XYZ, who is now so inferm that he can't feed himself. What about you, Mapguy? What have you done lately?

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

In my opinion, Thailand is by far the best country to retire to for many reasons, and Chiang Mai is the best destination in Thailand. However, the one year retirement visa coupled with the nonsensical 90 day reporting requirement to immigration sure gets old. I hope the Thai government at some point in time will follow Malaysia's lead and offer a ten year retirement visa.

As of the 1st November 2012 they have changed the system.. no more sign up sheet and i understand they are wanting people to have everything ready (photcopies, photos) before getting a number. I was at immigration the other day and the thing that pissed me off was queing up an hour for the photo copies ! I agree they should make getting a longer stay visa easier.. simply complete an application form, show them your passport, pay the money, get the visa, why all the messing about !

It so easy to avoid the photo copy que...I get a dozen copies of everything once a year and simply fill in the date each ninety days. I find the folks at immigration to be very helpful ,polite and have the patience of a saint when farangs show without the proper documents or don't have any idea of what they should do etc. You can get an agent to do your ninety day reports for 1000 bht a year if you are to lazy/sick/or afraid of crowds.I take a book each time just in case there is a glitch but have never had time to read it as I am in and out within 15/20 minutes or so. They could use a bigger car park though.