Army Likely To Retain Key Role In Far South

Lite Beer

Army likely to retain key role in far South

Khanittha Thepphajorn

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- With Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra overseeing national security, analysts believe there may be no major changes on the policy on the Deep South.

Pattani senator Vorawit Baru said the fact no deputy premier had been assigned to oversee security in the three-southern-most provinces meant that military was likely to take a lead role over politicians in the Deep South.

Vorawit urges the public to keep a watch on conflict between the army and politicians in the area, however. He said Yingluck remained chairperson ex-officio of the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc) and the Southern Border Provinces Administration Centre (SBPAC).

Vorawit said another reason why there was no appointment for any deputy premier to oversee the far South might have to do with the government's intention to avoid conflict between politicians and the army.

"Although the premier chairs both the ISOC and SBPAC, she doesn't go into the area. I see only the Fourth Area Army commander-in-chief that works in the area. And when there are incidents, he reports directly to the Army," the senator said.

Appointed senator Anusorn Suwanmongkol, meanwhile, said he was surprised that no deputy premier was appointed and urged the public to keep an eye on the matter and see if security in the Deep South remains a priority for the government or not. He said the move may also stem from the fact no one was qualified to handle the matter or that there was no consensus on the allocation of that cabinet portfolio.

Anusorn urged the government to maintain a high priority for the far South, and to use able and knowledgeable people to handle problems in the area.

"I'd like to ask the government to consider the continuity of solving the problems in the South and be careful (in selecting people), not just anyone. The problems of the Southern provinces need capable and knowledgeable people because the area is complicated.

"When Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said there was no need to visit the area as he can solve the problems from the centre, that hurt the spirit of people in the area," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-04

"When Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said there was no need to visit the area as he can solve the problems from the centre, that hurt the spirit of people in the area,

For sure he isn't going to visit that wouldn't be much of a 'jolly up' (and his mate Mr T isn't likely to be there) however if he was asked to visit overseas (Hong Kong for example) he would be there like <deleted> off a shovel.

He is asking the public to "keep an eye on it." Is this some kind of joke? How can the public keep an eye on anything in Thailand with a deplorable media?

We, the public, are trying to "keep an eye" on Thai justice at work in the case of the Ferrari Red Bull Cop killing and other crimes. There seems to be no police follow up, no warrants, and no newspaper information. Has the press been stifled? Has a warrant been issued for the Red Bull heir? Are charges being pressed? Is law being enforced?

How can the public "keep an eye" on things, if the newspaper chooses not to cover it?

• Like 1

This is more than a joke, although laughable.

"She doesn't got there; Chalerm says he can control it from the centre."

These are the leaders of a country?

I know TIT, but this is incredible! Then again, "Amazing Thailand."

I do hope the world leaders of anon are informed of matters like this. I really do.

I'm surprised Maynmar hasn't invaded again, and Cabodia isn't launching new rockets across the border, for a right old laugh!

If they did, of course, Ms. Yingluck would not visit and The Honourable Chalerm would control it from the safety of his nest-egg, accordingly.

-mel.

With Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra overseeing national security, analysts believe there may be no major changes on the policy on the Deep South.

Does this mean the situation down South will improve, stay the same bloody mess or even deteriorate ?

TiT, so the answer to my question is most likely yes

With Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra overseeing national security, analysts believe there may be no major changes on the policy on the Deep South.

Does this mean the situation down South will improve, stay the same bloody mess or even deteriorate ?

What answer is yes? Yes it will improve, yes it will stay the same bloody mess or yes it will deteriorate.

What answer is yes? Yes it will improve, yes it will stay the same bloody mess or yes it will deteriorate.

No offence, you haven't been in Thailand too long I guess. If you had you'd know the answer is just yes tongue.png

• Like 1

This is more than a joke, although laughable.

"She doesn't got there; Chalerm says he can control it from the centre."

These are the leaders of a country?

I know TIT, but this is incredible! Then again, "Amazing Thailand."

I do hope the world leaders of anon are informed of matters like this. I really do.

I'm surprised Maynmar hasn't invaded again, and Cabodia isn't launching new rockets across the border, for a right old laugh!

If they did, of course, Ms. Yingluck would not visit and The Honourable Chalerm would control it from the safety of his nest-egg, accordingly.

-mel.

Can anyone imagine Yingluck standing at the border with sword in hand in her dress whites weighted down with all the brass metals saying "I am Commanderess in Chief and you cannot invade Thailand. Do you know who my big brother is"?

Well with the army retaining control (?) in the South I suppose thatwill cancel out any chance of a coup.

By Jove sir what a political master stroke of protective strategy, keep the army fully occupied in the South and any chance of a coup is instantly negated in Thaksin and Yinglucks minds..

Go to the top of the class Yingluck (and brother) and give yourself a putty medal..