Thai Language Lessons

ChrisTx35

Ajarn indeed appears to be well-qualified based on his website. Thank you Krupnik.

It appears he charges 300 baht/hr for private lesson. Was hopping to find something closer to 100 baht/hr. Maybe that's unrealistic, although that is my genuine hope.

Does anyone know someone that charges closer to 100/hr?

Many thanks,

Chris

Ajarn indeed appears to be well-qualified based on his website. Thank you Krupnik.

It appears he charges 300 baht/hr for private lesson. Was hopping to find something closer to 100 baht/hr. Maybe that's unrealistic, although that is my genuine hope.

Many thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris

You know for that kind of money it is hard to beat

a school like Payap 60 hours for 8k = 133 THB / Hour

http://ic.payap.ac.t.../thai/about.php

Or the YMCA at 30 hours for 2000 = 66 thb/hr

http://www.ymcachian...2012English.pdf

I cannot vouch for YMCA but have heard many like it.

I have done Payap & thought the teaching & materials were excellent bang for the baht

Private tutor will always be more. You can try & find a student as you said who speaks English well enough

to answer questions you may have or even to tell you what the meaning of the words your learning are.

Also does the student tutor have a plan or method? Or are you just wanting basic conversation?

Good Luck & Have fun

Edited by mania

I took a beginners course It included people who had been through the course before or had lived here a while. I had not taken the course before and only been in Thailand one week.

My advice if you are taking it in a group make sure it is a group that does not have a lot more experience in the language than you.

I then took one with a private teacher 200 baht a hour 2 hours a day twice a week with home work. It was a lot of help for me to get some of the basics as in the different vowels.

The problem arose when I started learning words. She insisted I get the tones rite even though I could not pronounce the word properly Much less remember it right away .She also insisted I always use the word Krap. Instead of Kup. I do not have a quick retention of words and I found myself spending time on tones and grammar for words that I could not pronounce much less remember. Besides that I am hearing impaired and don't hear the tones that good. Every thing was good and I did get the basics. But after two months I found my self looking at the clock after the first hour. She would not give me the latitude and time I needed to really get a grasp on it. She had a lesson book and would not deviate from it.

I found the Y to be my favorite but my only word of caution is they use their own phonetics, as do many of the places, but the problem is they don't teach you what they are. I assume since it uses English letters they assume we understand it. Trying to figure it out I did ask a few questions about it and was only told by the teacher that that is what they use.

I think Hellodolly makes a very good point. Many of the students at the AUA and YMCA courses have some knowledge of Thai and/or live with Thai people who are willing to help them. Many speak several languages already and so the language paths in their brains are open. If you're older, only speak English, are hearing impaired and/or aren't a musician -- then you're going to have a problem if someone is insisting you learn the tones imCorrmediately.

Frankly, I think the first order of business is to build some vocabularly. The correct use of tones will come later, naturally, after you hear native speakers use the words you understand in conversation.

The best option is to learn to read Thai, but that's not realistic for someone here five weeks. But once you know how to read, the tones become more natural.

My classes with Ajarn Pat were not as much as 300 but probably because I booked a whole course. Discounts may be available for you too if you can block book. Payap and YMCA are good recommendations but will not suit Chris if he is only here for five weeks, their courses are over a span of specific time. I can't see you have any other option except find a private tutor and I think 100 per hour is quite optimistic! 200 is probably average...

Edited by Krupnik

The most important thing I found to begin with is learn the vowels. They will have an a and a double aa Try to get a chart with the 9 basic vowels. There are a lot more but 9 will get you through most things.

Edit

Now that I think of it has any one got 0ne they could post wit the corresponding english sound?

Edited by hellodolly

This is a nice site

Just click on vowels

http://www.seasite.n...age/reading.htm

Good site for pronunciation and writing Thai script. Thanks.

While living in California before settling here in May, I had regularly studied Thai from an excellent computer program, Hi Speed Thai. And then after I arrived I took a course at the YMCA although it was much too advanced for me. The beginners course, my first choice, had been cancelled. The teacher was excellent but I didn't like the transliteration system so didn't sign up for another course. And lately I've become lazy, getting by on minimal Thai just because I can. This site will be a good review and hopefully a motivator to continue my studies

No one in my class at YMCA which incl.Brits, Aussies, Koreans and Japanese spoke Thai and were all starters in our Level 1 class

You were probably in the afternoon class, my level 1 morning class also did not have a single person with much thai language knowledge either.

Now that I think of it has any one got 0ne they could post wit the corresponding english sound?

This is a nice site

Just click on vowels

http://www.seasite.n...age/reading.htm

I don't reed Thai and it seemed like there was a lot of options closed down. I may have missed it but I did try to find a spot to hit for English.

The chart I had showed the vowels in English and then showed what it sounded like. Apparently even though it is English they are using the Roman system for pronunciation. Never heard of it.

I don't reed Thai and it seemed like there was a lot of options closed down. I may have missed it but I did try to find a spot to hit for English.

The chart I had showed the vowels in English and then showed what it sounded like. Apparently even though it is English they are using the Roman system for pronunciation. Never heard of it.

I see,

I actually learned all the consonants & vowels with a program on my tablet

So just passed that site on as it is one I used for their readers.

The Maanii children's books

That site I notice does have the vowels & a square you click which plays the sound of the vowel

On the left of the page are the vowels

The is a place marker just so you can see where in relation to the consonant each vowel goes

Did you mean something like this instead?

http://www.thai-lang...lishVowelSounds

That in my mind is not a great one as it has too many obscure options

of English words to remember the Thai vowel sounds

Instead I used the idea of words/examples out of a book called

Introduction to Thai Reading by Rungrat Luanwarawat

Not a great book for me but it gave me the idea to use a word that is familiar

to me to initially remember the sound of each vowel. Then I made small flash cards for myself.

Example would be

- ะ and - า

Is Sara ah long & short

I use the word Ma to remember the ah

เ-ะ and เ-

Is Sara aa

I use the word May to remember the aa

etc.

Is that what you mean by the vowels in English?

as in having an English word to remember the sound?

Here is another site that may help you

http://slice-of-thai.com/vowel-sounds/

Edited by mania

Many thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris

You know for that kind of money it is hard to beat

a school like Payap 60 hours for 8k = 133 THB / Hour

http://ic.payap.ac.t.../thai/about.php

Or the YMCA at 30 hours for 2000 = 66 thb/hr

http://www.ymcachian...2012English.pdf

I cannot vouch for YMCA but have heard many like it.

I have done Payap & thought the teaching & materials were excellent bang for the baht

Private tutor will always be more. You can try & find a student as you said who speaks English well enough

to answer questions you may have or even to tell you what the meaning of the words your learning are.

Also does the student tutor have a plan or method? Or are you just wanting basic conversation?

Good Luck & Have fun

Thanks for all the info, I too want to learn the language properly....after 10 years here I think it's about time.

I have downloaded the Payap application forms. Can you tell me if I should go there in person to apply or do it by post......and if visiting where does one go in the campus?

Thanks very much in advance

Thanks for all the info, I too want to learn the language properly....after 10 years here I think it's about time.

I have downloaded the Payap application forms. Can you tell me if I should go there in person to apply or do it by post......and if visiting where does one go in the campus?

Thanks very much in advance

Hi Pauly,

Scroll down on that link to the contact info.

Just give them a call & what will happen is

they will speak a little on the phone with you & ask you to drop

by.

At that time someone, probably Ajarn Noi will speak a little with you in Thai

to see where you are & where they will place you.

If you speak a bit already you will probably be placed in Thai 3

which is more speaking & the beginning of reading & writing.

Of course if you already read & write a bit you may be placed in another level too.

You can either fill in the form ahead or even right there in the office.

The only thing with Payap is they run 4 classes every month

then next the other 4 so folks can progress without breaks.

They run the odd numbers & then the even number classes etc.

But when you start you may or may not be lucky & have a class ready when you are

For instance if you want Thai 3 it just started on Sept 24th till Oct 19th

But the next one starts Jan 7th till Feb 1st ( bigger break due to xmas break )

So just depends on which you need to start with & whether your timing is lucky.

Then again you say you have been here 10 years so what is a month or so smile.png

It is intensive meaning everyday you learn & at times you will feel overwhelmed.

But after your done you will be amazed at what you accomplished in a few weeks.

The teachers are very nice & give freely of their time if you need any extra help.

Good Luck & I hope you enjoy it.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Hi Chris

I've been learning Thai with Ajaan Lah, she is very professional and has written her own books, very patient. I struggle to hear the tones but she tries to make it easy for me to pronounce them correctly, I started by learning to read and understand the grammar which has taken hold and I'm now working at speaking. She will teach conversation only or written and spoken, which ever you prefer.

She has two bachelors degrees, in teaching Thai language and also Tourism, she is 5 minutes from Kad Suan Kaew Shopping Centre and charges 250 baht an hour. A fantastic investment if your are staying or a regular visitor. I can't recommend her enough

I see,

I actually learned all the consonants & vowels with a program on my tablet

So just passed that site on as it is one I used for their readers.

The Maanii children's books

That site I notice does have the vowels & a square you click which plays the sound of the vowel

On the left of the page are the vowels

The is a place marker just so you can see where in relation to the consonant each vowel goes

Did you mean something like this instead?

http://www.thai-lang...lishVowelSounds

That in my mind is not a great one as it has too many obscure options

of English words to remember the Thai vowel sounds

Instead I used the idea of words/examples out of a book called

Introduction to Thai Reading by Rungrat Luanwarawat

Not a great book for me but it gave me the idea to use a word that is familiar

to me to initially remember the sound of each vowel. Then I made small flash cards for myself.

Example would be

- ะ and - า

Is Sara ah long & short

I use the word Ma to remember the ah

เ-ะ and เ-

Is Sara aa

I use the word May to remember the aa

etc.

Is that what you mean by the vowels in English?

as in having an English word to remember the sound?

Here is another site that may help you

http://slice-of-thai.com/vowel-sounds/

I find both sites helpful as well as the other one you had posted. It took me a bit to figure it out. I can see wherea good set f ear hones would be mandatory or great speakers.

Many thanks

• Like 1

Payap teaches at a pretty furious rate, but if you are willing to put in the study you progress quite quickly.

:) yes I agree & that is what I meant when I mentioned to Pauly it is intense

But as you said you will progress quickly & be amazed at what you have learned in a few weeks time.

I would think its a good idea to go to a language school for a few weeks private lessons. There are many good schools and you can be assured of their teaching quality and experience if its a good school. I go to one called Pro Language. I know they will tailor the lessons for you and what you want to get out of them.

What level are Thai are you at? Are you able to read any Thai words? My school does a free hour lesson so potential students can see if they like their style.

When I first moved to Thailand I used private tutors that came to my house. I got through 3 of them and was very unhappy with they way they taught, and also some just kept turning up late etc.

I am sure there are good teacher out there that will come to your home, but as you are only in Thailand for a few weeks, but the time you locate a good quality one if may be time you are leaving again.

I have a couple friends that tutor farangs. One has a lot of experience, he speaks perfect English with an American accent, and has a great reputation. He charges 300/hr, I believe. I'm not sure if he uses a book or what. I just have some friends that have used him and say he is great.

The other is cheaper, 200/hr, but doesn't have as much experience. He helps me with basic conversation, explaining 'why,' etc. when we hang out. He would be good for conversational Thai.

PM me if you're interested and I can pass it on.

For me, I want a structured classroom setting. My problem is I work during the day and there is no class offered when I'm free. Anybody know of Thai classes offered after 5?