It's Approaching High Season In Thailand....what's Your Do's And Don'ts For First Time Visitors?

theblether

-Do try some street food...it is often just as yummy as it smells, and often fresher than restaurant fare.

-Don't assume every local you meet wants a free impromptu English lesson...make an effort to learn a little Thai while your here!

-Do enjoy a "legitimate" foot massage or two....you'll be extremely glad you did!

-DON"T go anywhere with Tuk Tuk drivers/taxis conveniently waiting outside your hotel...walk up the street a bit and catch one on the move

-Do be polite with the locals but don't "wai" every single Thai you meet....You wouldn't shake hands with every single person you interact with on a daily basis at home, so why do it here?

-Don't get into altercations with the locals....even if your in the right, you WILL lose one way or the other!

-Do learn to walk away and let things go.

-Don't fall in love with the first lovely set of eyes and sultry smile you meet....just don't!

-Do be aware of opening and closing times of temples and tourist attractions....DON"T believe anyone who tells you otherwise...make sure you go and have a look for yourself!

-Don't stick to the tourist ghettos....get out and immerse yourself in the local culture

-Do make sure the taxi drivers turns on the meter as soon as you get in, and that he knows the destination before you get on your way!

Edited by dsprtliving

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do what i did 23 years ago

roger every good looking girl,fall in love with them all and break your heart when you catch the plane home

then 6 weeks later come back rent a flat and start all over again

ps after you fall in love ,send her away with a tear in your eye and start from the begining again,repeat this for many years untill you do actually meet a woman who you can really fall in love with. and dont wai every tom dick and harry. enjoy.

Don,t tell the drunk tourist, that his bar girl is a man within earshot, or the she/male might kill the you, the good samaritan.

I've never met a ladyboy who tried to pass herself off as a woman. Have you?

So you are saying you don't know until you have tried? blink.png

Don,t tell the drunk tourist, that his bar girl is a man within earshot, or the she/male might kill the you, the good samaritan.

What you can't read? No. I am saying lady boys will tell a potential customer up front and the first thing. They don't try and kid you they are a woman. Wake up. Come to Thailand and experience this wonderful culture and people.

What you can't read? No. I am saying lady boys will tell a potential customer up front and the first thing. They don't try and kid you they are a woman. Wake up. Come to Thailand and experience this wonderful culture and people.

biggrin.png

Sure, it's very common out and about in public, not talking about sex-worker situations even, and they are quite delighted when you're fooled.

But within the sex work context twice in my early years I didn't find out until we were disrobing, and both times (big innocent Marilyn Monroe eyes and voice) "oh wow, I thought you knew!" and tried to persuade me it didn't matter.

Well to me it does, no negativity, big friendly smile sorry I don't swing that way here's a couple of hundred for your wasted time and cab fare off you go.

No problem in those cases anyway.

But I could see the occasional tough one looking to get at least a higher percentage of the ST fee, wouldn't be worth a conflict over it either.

Sure, it's very common out and about in public, not talking about sex-worker situations even, and they are quite delighted when you're fooled.

But within the sex work context twice in my early years I didn't find out until we were disrobing, and both times (big innocent Marilyn Monroe eyes and voice) "oh wow, I thought you knew!" and tried to persuade me it didn't matter.

Well to me it does, no negativity, big friendly smile sorry I don't swing that way here's a couple of hundred for your wasted time and cab fare off you go.

No problem in those cases anyway.

But I could see the occasional tough one looking to get at least a higher percentage of the ST fee, wouldn't be worth a conflict over it either.

I don't know actual number a couple of hundred of lady boys give or take 30 or so. Never happened to me once. Maybe I am just tough looking.smile.png

Based of plenty of requests received on a regular basis:

DO NOT contact me (i.e. to plan your itinerary, book your rooms,... ask for freebies) just because we are virtual "friends" on whatever social network.

I am neither a travel agent nor a philanthropist

Well in my case any friends and acquaintances from real life - and even some from just online are welcome to come to my place and crash as long as they don't expect anything fancy, maybe chip in USD $10 a day for food and stay as long as you like!

Rule number one. Don't get serious about sex partners until you have known them for a LONG time and have seen what they are really like.

So if a hot, attractive, 20 something year old lady begins lusting for my body and says to me; give it to me now hansum man, should I ask her for references first?

Don't get bothered by old fat guys with the little spinners on their arms.

Find someone who speaks reasonable Thai and your language to go along and get off the beaten track where foreigners are rarely seen and A/C unheard of. Spread a little money around sponsoring some parties for the locals, crash a few weddings or something, let loose and party with a bunch of salt-of-the-earth Thais. The little islands at the midway stops of the regular local ferry service between the islands off Krabi and Phuket are good candidates, but do pack your mozzie repellant.

Don't get all stressed about paying a bit more than the locals for stuff, as long as it's still a lot cheaper than back home not worth raising your blood pressure over.

Have a scan through the threads here and pay attention to some of the stuff that gets repeated over and over again. But whatever you do don't take it all as gospel - except my posts of course 8-)

theres a reason there r places where foreigners dont go. THEre is nothing there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Find someone who speaks reasonable Thai and your language to go along and get off the beaten track where foreigners are rarely seen and A/C unheard of.

After reading that thread about teachers perhaps it is better to get someone who speaks no English at all. Then you can have an experience like the students who learn Thai from a Teacher who speaks no English. Perhaps not a good idea to go to the crocodile farm or Bang Kwang prison with this person though.

• Like 1

Find someone who speaks reasonable Thai and your language to go along and get off the beaten track where foreigners are rarely seen and A/C unheard of. Spread a little money around sponsoring some parties for the locals, crash a few weddings or something, let loose and party with a bunch of salt-of-the-earth Thais. The little islands at the midway stops of the regular local ferry service between the islands off Krabi and Phuket are good candidates, but do pack your mozzie repellant.

Don't get all stressed about paying a bit more than the locals for stuff, as long as it's still a lot cheaper than back home not worth raising your blood pressure over.

Have a scan through the threads here and pay attention to some of the stuff that gets repeated over and over again. But whatever you do don't take it all as gospel - except my posts of course 8-)

theres a reason there r places where foreigners dont go. THEre is nothing there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Ya and it gets boring having women pay for your drinks after a while. Next thing you know they may be taking advantage of you!whistling.gif

• Like 1