Which Visa Now?

I have been given a work permit to work as office staff in a school with a one year validity that started in September.The non b visa which I got in Hull, England last year finished today and I fully expected to get a 12 month extension of stay today but when I arrived at immigration they refused and told me extensions are only for teachers. She told me, to go to Malaysia/Laos/ Cambodia for a new non b visa.

I am in Southern Thailand and had to rush to the Malaysian border checkpoint where I was given a 15 day tourist stamp, I am now considering my options and would like to know if anyone has been in a similar predicament or could offer me some advice.

I would ideally like a non b 12 month multiple entry, I know I could go tot KL for this. However I am unsure of the paperwork I need, I have a work permit but not sure about the tax form.

Thanks

Gareth

Below is the general list of requirements for work non immigrant B visa issue by MFA (who oversee Embassy/Consulates). Be aware you can not legally work without such a visa. But extensions are for anyone working legally but there are different requirements for paperwork and a school might not have them.

(1) Foreigners who wish to work in Thailand must provide the following documents:

- Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months.

- Completed visa application form.

- Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past 6 months.

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).

- Letter of approval from the Ministry of Labour. To obtain this letter, the applicant’s prospective employer in Thailand is required to submit Form WP3 at the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour Tel. 02-2452745, or at the Provincial Employment Office in his or her respective province. More information is available at www.doe.go.th/workpermit/index.html

- Copy of Work Permit issued by the Ministry of Labour and alien income tax or Por Ngor Dor 91 (only in the case where applicant has previously worked in Thailand).

- Corporate documents of hiring company in Thailand such as:

1) business registration and business license

2) list of shareholders

3) company profile

4) details of business operation

5) list of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions

6) map indicating location of the company

7) balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30 of the latest year)

8) value-added tax registration (Por Por 20)

- Document indicating the number of foreign tourists (for tourism business only), or document indicating export transactions issued by banks (for export business only).

N.B.

- An alien who receives a Non-Immigrant visa can work in Thailand once he or she is being granted a work permit. An alien in violation of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning taking up employment without work permit or the Royal Decree B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning holding employment in certain restricted occupations and professions shall be prosecuted and imprisoned or fined, or shall face both penalties.

- It is recommended that the applicant should apply for visa at the Thai Embassy/ Consulate in the country where he/she has the residence

Ok, Thanks for replying but you have just told me what I already know from reading this information myself before I made the post.

My problem is I do not fall into the category listed regarding needing a visa before work. I have been told to get one by immigration.

I am hoping to hear from someone who has been in a similar situation, of course I will refrain from work until this matter is resolved as Thai Law tells me to do so.

Edited by sunny and hot

Lopburi will correct me if I am wrong, but if you are not a teacher or a reporter, you probably will not meet the 50,000 THB a month required for an annual extension of stay. That is going to mean border runs and yes by far it would be best if you had a multiple entry Non-Imm B

"where I was given a 15 day tourist stamp,"

I hope for you, that this tourist visa isn't affecting the validity of the work permit.

At time, you don't have the valid visa, needed for a wp! That could mean, the wp is invalid.

Better check with the school and immigration, not that the consulate or the embassy will deny the multiple entry visa!

Isn't there a chance, to do a 30 or 60 day extension? Anyway, haven't you arrived about 28 days to late at the immigration?

i mean, for the extension process?

"where I was given a 15 day tourist stamp,"

I hope for you, that this tourist visa isn't affecting the validity of the work permit.

At time, you don't have the valid visa, needed for a wp! That could mean, the wp is invalid.

Better check with the school and immigration, not that the consulate or the embassy will deny the multiple entry visa!

Isn't there a chance, to do a 30 or 60 day extension? Anyway, haven't you arrived about 28 days to late at the immigration?

i mean, for the extension process?

It seems I have been naive by listening to the school who told me everything would be fine if I went today. I hope the work permit isn't invalid now. I will have to get the necessary paperwork from he school to give to the Embassy. I am just not confident the school will be able to do this as they have failed on this issue. I may even head back to England as I do not need this stress.

I believe you can't get a non-b extension without earning the minimum amount ( 50 or 65k whatever it is now) except for the exemptions - Teacher etc. Not office jobs. But you can get a work permit.

You can't work on a tourist, education or retirement visa.

So whether you have a work permit or not doesn't matter as you are either illegally in the country or illegally working on a tourist, education or retirement visa.

Places paying below the minimum amount just lie and pay the tax for you, but it doesn't look like your employers are and will just replace you.

Sorry if I'm wrong, but are you doing this office job because you don't have a degree and/or they don't pay well ?

Edit: Apologies if any of that is wrong.

Edited by arthurwait

Your work permit became invalid the minute you got a tourist visa.

Your best bet is to go to KL or somewhere like that, you will not get an extension unless you meet the required income level. Another way is to get your school to class you as a teacher, then you would qualify.

Edited by beano2274

Your best bet is to go to KL or somewhere like that, you will not get an extension unless you meet the required income level. Another way is to get your school to class you as a teacher, then you would qualify.

Not sure on that one, as the permisison to stay and work permit are no longer conencted. His work permit might still be valid, but simply useless without a non-immigrant visa entry.

This will depent on the labour office.

Not sure on that one, as the permisison to stay and work permit are no longer conencted. His work permit might still be valid, but simply useless without a non-immigrant visa entry.

This will depent on the labour office.

As far as I got told, the wp holder is responsible, for holding the right visa at all times!