Obama Thanks Supporters After Winning Re-Election

News_Editor

I guess I've seen me an Obama hater then.

*conservatives in inverted comma as they give conservatives a bad name.

All kinds of vindictive petty hate in the world it seems.

Just labeled differently to suit the haters needs

Edited by mania

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[

yeah, I heard that one today... amazing. The right could have avoided pissing off all the immigrant minorities who will eventually together form electoral majorities if they had been less condescending, less denigrating, more respectful of other people and a touch more reasonable in their policies.

His views have 'evolved'? Does Hannity think evolution is more than a contested 'theory'? What on earth or in God's given Heaven could Hannity be referring to? Evolved. I should hope not. I believe, and with belief I need no truck with 'evolution', that Hannity meant to say that his views have 'changed' and we all know that change is NOT evolution which, by the way, is a wicked idea causing teenage blow jobs and abortions.

Quite frankly it's pretty astounding how fast Hannity pivoted from his usual creationist misogynist babble. I'm not sure I believe it yet, nor will I ever. Maybe he learned from Romney that you can flip flop at will and get away with it. I'm not sure, but it is quite remarkable.

Whatever your view of Hannity, I doubt that he hates women.

Perhaps you could give us an example of this supposed misogyny.

I'm off to Burma - turns out the same time Obama was going to be there.

Outside the Burmese embassy this morning in BKK getting my visa

Will be interested to hear your impressions (esp. bus. climate, are lots of bus. types snooping around etc.?) when you return, assuming you haven't been in awhile. I haven't been in about 15 years, but somehow I don't think much has changed yet..., but big things are a comin' I suppose.

[

yeah, I heard that one today... amazing. The right could have avoided pissing off all the immigrant minorities who will eventually together form electoral majorities if they had been less condescending, less denigrating, more respectful of other people and a touch more reasonable in their policies.

His views have 'evolved'? Does Hannity think evolution is more than a contested 'theory'? What on earth or in God's given Heaven could Hannity be referring to? Evolved. I should hope not. I believe, and with belief I need no truck with 'evolution', that Hannity meant to say that his views have 'changed' and we all know that change is NOT evolution which, by the way, is a wicked idea causing teenage blow jobs and abortions.

Quite frankly it's pretty astounding how fast Hannity pivoted from his usual creationist misogynist babble. I'm not sure I believe it yet, nor will I ever. Maybe he learned from Romney that you can flip flop at will and get away with it. I'm not sure, but it is quite remarkable.

Whatever your view of Hannity, I doubt that he hates women.

Perhaps you could give us an example of this supposed misogyny.

I'm sure he doesn't hate women, as long as they know their place. wink.png

Anyway, I have great hopes for President Obama's second term!

We know he is going for legacy and has the ego to try to be a GREAT president. Now he has the chance.

We all hope for such an optimistic forecast. You can remember the days when we had such respect and reverence for our President, that when the election was over, even if we didn't vote for him, we all got behind him. I'll never forget being in I think it was maybe 1st or 2nd grade when Kennedy was shot. I grew up in a highly conservative state and city. I'll never forget standing around the flagpole and the entire school, principal, teachers, students all were weeping.

I guess we will never get back to that kind of patriotism again. Sad.

interesting you posted about reaction to Kennedy's shooting. I was in grade school when the announcement was made. It was the Jewish girls in my class who were most audibly shocked, but then again, there were a lot of jewish kids in my neighborhood (suburb of Wash.D.C.).

The first time I registered to vote (while h.s. age), I did so as Republican. I didn't like Republicans then (Nixon was their top banana at that time), but I thought I could do damage to them from the inside, if I was a member of their party.

I guess the point I was trying to illustrate, is that I'll bet that entire teaching and admin staff at my school were Republican on that day JFK was shot. The Principal tried to tell us several times what had happened and broke down each time. All the teachers were sobbing, and soon the entire student body. I was just an 8 year old boy then, but the importance of that kind of Presidential respect and blindness of party affiliation became apparent to me later.

Of course I watched Bobby's death on TV too, but much later when watching the attempt on Ronald Reagan, I remember somehow the same feelings didn't seem to be there in the country. Of course it was terrible, and everyone from both parties shared the seriousness of the moment. But, somehow it seemed people no longer cared as much.

But, today, I don't wish to be morbid, but I have the feeling if Pres. Obama were shot, half of the country would be sitting back with folded arms wearing a grim tight-lipped slight smile, perhaps also nodding that justice had been done. It just doesn't feel the same. Maybe it's me.

While I am not an American, speaking as an outsider, it would seem to me that the reaction was to Kennedy the man, as opposed to the president. Not just Americans were upset by his assasination.

The difference with Obama, in my opinion, is that many actually hate him, while I doubt that applied to Kennedy- truly a great man that inspired millions. Remember his Ask not speach? Has Obama ever done similar? Kennedy sent men to the moon, Obama just shut down NASA and ran up 6 trillion in debt. Sad.

• Like 1

Thing is, I understand disagreeing with the other side, but I don't understand the deal of visceral hate when it comes to politics. I really just don't. And yes....for both sides.

Thing is, I understand disagreeing with the other side, but I don't understand the deal of visceral hate when it comes to politics. I really just don't. And yes....for both sides.

Well you never know

Some reading your comments here alone may think your

quite visceral/zealous/show a form of hatred yourself

Yes I see it on both sides

Edited by mania

you're right. It's weird.

policies are real things, you can like and dislike them, support and oppose. But to hate a politician or worse, more generally those who don't agree with you is off the wall.

I'm sure the republican policies are wrong, but I don't hate republicans. :)

Why? In some countries, people kill politicians for being on the other side.

Hatred for many reasons is a more natural human condition than love.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I'm sure the republican policies are wrong, but I don't hate republicans. smile.png

Good for you. I DO hate some many republicans. I think that is a rational response when faced with bigotry.

That said, the plus side of the republican party identifying itself as the party of bigotry, inequality, coded racism (a la Donald Trump, birthers, voter suppression, etc.), and intolerance has stopped working for them politically like it used to do. The public opinion and demographics tide has turned so taking those positions now hurts more than it helps.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

policies are real things, you can like and dislike them, support and oppose. But to hate a politician or worse, more generally those who don't agree with you is off the wall.

I'm sure the republican policies are wrong, but I don't hate republicans. smile.png

Politicians are scum sucking bottom feeders. I hate all of them.

biggrin.png

Why? In some countries, people kill politicians for being on the other side.

Hatred for many reasons is a more natural human condition than love.

I don't think it's a contest of what is MORE "natural" or not, love vs. hate, but I agree BOTH are normal parts of the human condition and that includes POLITICS.

biggrin.png

I don't disagree with you, but sadly such are the only ones that will become politicians now, given the poisonous disregard that they are held in. I enjoyed seeing a journalist asking some polie why there are no decent ones, and being told that he and his colleagues are responsible because of the vile media attacks that all polies receive nowadays.

The worst one ever is this obnoxious little public schoolboy brown nosing at the Conservative conference. He was grooming himself for politics even at that young age and now he's Britain's Foreign Secretary!

I'm sure he got more than one smack in the gob at school and probably grassed up everyone to the headmaster.

biggrin.png

@mania

Happy for you to quote me and point out the error of my ways.

Ridicule for what I consider a silly source of information I've not been above, but that isn't the same thing - and I think where there is a chance to have a rational chat, I've managed it. I mean I even managed a 'like' from chuckd of all people!

• Like 1

While I am not an American, speaking as an outsider, it would seem to me that the reaction was to Kennedy the man, as opposed to the president. Not just Americans were upset by his assasination.

The difference with Obama, in my opinion, is that many actually hate him, while I doubt that applied to Kennedy- truly a great man that inspired millions. Remember his Ask not speach? Has Obama ever done similar? Kennedy sent men to the moon, Obama just shut down NASA and ran up 6 trillion in debt. Sad.

Ask what your Country can do for you to buy your vote in order to pretend the economy no longer matters.

Edited by Steely Dan
  • Like 1

@mania

Ridicule for what I consider a silly source of information I've not been above, but that isn't the same thing - and I think where there is a chance to have a rational chat, I've managed it. I mean I even managed a 'like' from chuckd of all people!

If it is "likes" you seek I just gave you one. ;)

Mai Bpen Rai

It is what it is, but as I have said before

It does seem this election has divided Americans ( I know your not one )

more than any other I have seen.

While it is fine & everyone has their reasons... I guess?

But I have to admit I have seen your posts time after time in this thread

and the ones that came before

You say rational chat but your posts appear more those of a little

fire starter.

Even now this last one that we are commenting on.

What is the purpose? Please I do not require an answer/justification.

For me this is the kind of stuff America needs to stop & get over.

Only then can any true restoration hopefully finally begin.

Again I understand you & some others

are not Americans & have your own right to opinion.

Just cannot say I understand the purpose or point of them.

Edited by mania

@mania

I give credit where credit is due. Don't get used to it unless you come over to the Dark Side though.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

biggrin.png

well, at least you're not biased. ;)

Good for you. I DO hate some many republicans. I think that is a rational response when faced with bigotry.

That said, the plus side of the republican party identifying itself as the party of bigotry, inequality, coded racism (a la Donald Trump, birthers, voter suppression, etc.), and intolerance has stopped working for them politically like it used to do. The public opinion and demographics tide has turned so taking those positions now hurts more than it helps.

ok, I kind of understand. I can think some people are stupid. And I can not like them. It's just a big jump to hate them. BTW, there are some posters over in the thailand news section who hit #1 & #2 already, what is it with those jerks over there?

Anyway, point being hate is about a real, irrational emotion and I see it usually linked with vilifying the other side. None of that leads to clarity. If I am clear about the fact that Republicans played the race card in this election and understand why... If I see that they want to give "stuff" in form of tax breaks to the supper rich and understand which policies do that and why, it makes it easier to react, discuss and vote in a way that makes sense to my values and interests.

Which is what doesn't happen when a bunch of lower middle class republicans vote for the party that is going to do nothing for them and everything for the rich.

As for bigotry, I just saw the numbers. 88% of the Romney voters were white. 88%. That is frickin amazing.

Stupid is one thing. Implementing or wanting to implement discriminatory policies that hurt innocent people is another. Romney himself did this personally to babies of legally joined gay couples in Massachusetts and it pleases me very much that he is 100 percent finished politically. He also recently gave PERSONAL money (as opposed to bucket church donations) to cure the gays fundamentalist groups; that is intolerance personified. I realize most people didn't hate Romney as opposed to virulent republicans like Bachmann and Santorum who legitimately attract more hatred. They bought that cheesy snarky smile of his in the debates. Sorry, I hated him. I know what he did and what he was capable of doing as president. Probably in his heart he isn't as virulent as the Santorum types, but he had proved he was capable of acting out in the same way they would to please his right wing REPUBLICAN base.

The election does not solve the divisions in the U.S. If the republicans want to help with that as well as help themselves they need to drop their homophobia, misogyny, and racism. Focus on taxation and fiscal issues ... fine.

Edited by Jingthing

@mania

I give credit where credit is due. Don't get used to it unless you come over to the Dark Side though.thumbsup.gif

I work in oil, gas and mining. In many ways, I out-dark-side the dark siders.

Once, off a beautiful spit of land on a beautiful in Vietnam, a boat we hired was gently bought up to the beach. Little kids ran out from the small fishing village to wave at us. And our client said - this is where we'll build the oil storage terminals.

Must admit, felt a bit bad that day.

Fortunately, the storage terminals never happened. We got the fee though. :)

Edited by samran

Yes we are all so happy.

Yes we are.

There was/is hatred coming from both sides. Let's not be naive. The election doesn't fix that.

Maybe this is one reason the election doesn't fix that. A clip of very informed voters.