Patong Hill Road Repairs On Hold Until March: Phuket

webfact

Patong Hill road repairs on hold until March

Phuket Gazette

ph.jpeg

Traffic makes its way past the collapsed outside lane on the busy road linking Patong and Phuket Town. Photo: Chutharat Plerin

PHUKET: -- Phuket Highways Office Director Samak Luedwonghad has revealed that the much-anticipated 22-million-baht permanent repairs to Patong Hill road may not begin until March.

The section of road, just west of the Chinese shrine at the top of the hill, first collapsed during heavy rains last October, then again in early May with the advent of this year’s monsoon season.

On September 27, the same site suffered another landslide, with the dislodged earth tumbling into a rubber plantation below.

No injuries were reported in any of the landslides.

The Phuket Highways Office spent 3mn baht making temporary repairs to the damaged section of road, shoring up the bank of earth that supports the road and resurfacing the tarmac.

However, with the tourism high-season fast approaching, the outside westbound lane remains closed, restricting traffic flow heading from Patong to Phuket Town to just one lane.

“Even though project has been approved by Cabinet, there are still procedural processes to complete. At this stage, I believe the budget will be given to us by March next year,” Mr Samak said.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle19363.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-08

I don't see the problem. Highly qualified engineers have certified the road safe to carry heavy traffic and further collapse has been ruled out even if it does rain between now and March. rolleyes.gif

I bet the process could be sped up if the international press ran a story on how every tourist heading to Patong is endangered by this.

I bet the process could be sped up if the international press ran a story on how every tourist heading to Patong is endangered by this.

I guess to start the real repairs requires an tourist bus to drop down from the hill causing multiple deaths.