Whats The Longest Amount Of Time You Have Gone Single In Thailand?

turboturtle

I have spent the last 2 months single for the first time in my life. After a 1 month ordination at the Forest monastery I have been trying to be celibate for atleast another month. When I first came here it was tough going 1 week without finding my first S. H. But now it is fun being the bachelor and all hottt college students smiling at me makes my life even more difficult but one of these days I'm going burst and give in to the temptation of seduction at university level!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I came to Thailand I would have thought this a simple question, but now I realize I have little idea what the word "single" would even mean any more; it seems like one of those Shakespearean anachronisms I faintly recall once understanding but the meaning has long since slipped my mind.

Certainly nothing to do with celibacy, which has no value wrt any path I'm willing to tread, but at least the meaning of that term is clear.

Now that I think about it, much of the meaning of "single" must be tied to the presumption that monogamy is the natural state of affairs. Once the latter's been rejected as thoroughly as I've done, then the former loses its relevance.

So, one answer is - in fourteen years I've gone without live-in female companionship for perhaps a total of four months.

Another one is - I've been in a "committed relationship" - i.e. striving for mutual fidelity in a traditional monogamous partnership - only twice here, for a total of three years.

And a final attempt - I've been in relationships that some, but not all, would would perceive as "married" for perhaps twelve out of those fourteen years, but more often than not to more than one partner at a time.

And I'm proud to say that I haven't felt the need to deceive a partner about the state of my affairs for the past ten years.

I had a 5 year relationship a few years back, but other than that i have essentially been single in thailand since i arrived in 96, i have never seen the point in moving somebody in just because i can.

of those five years she only lived with me for 2.

other than thee mother of my child, i have never had a live-in here.

5 months, I'm picky and would rather be single than date someone I don't see things working out with. Been on plenty of dates during that time, but nothing of the like to make me consider a longer relationship, until a few months ago.

"Date".

Now there's another term that rings like something out of Shakespeare for me, don't think I've been on one of those for at least eight years now.

Although a few ex's have stopped buy to take us out for a good feed, but I don't think it counts if you take the whole household along kids and all 8-)

5 months, I'm picky and would rather be single than date someone I don't see things working out with. Been on plenty of dates during that time, but nothing of the like to make me consider a longer relationship, until a few months ago.

When I was young a "date" involved taking a young lady out to the movies etc, but no sex was involved. Has the meaning changed now?

When I was young a "date" involved taking a young lady out to the movies etc, but no sex was involved. Has the meaning changed now?

I believe that long ago was before movies. Don't you mean taking her out to the church social. smile.png

Still lots of that kind of dating goes on here, but at least two or three chaperones have to come along because everyone knows their precious girl's going to get raped as soon as their backs are turned.

Actually she's too scared to go out with you alone anyway. Plus if you're too cheap to shout the whole group a nice meal you're not eligible.

Arranging with the family elders the date of the wedding? Now that's a fun evening's entertainment 8-)

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Been here nearly 5 years and never had someone I could call a "girlfriend".

But the big question is does she quack like a duck?

No.

They know the score straight outta the gate. No monthly stipend, no house-building for the family.

I never paid for a girlfriend in Britain; I won't do it here.

Been here nearly 5 years and never had someone I could call a "girlfriend".

But the big question is does she quack like a duck?

No.

They know the score straight outta the gate. No monthly stipend, no house-building for the family.

I never paid for a girlfriend in Britain; I won't do it here.

The thought of living with a woman who was not self-sufficient does not appeal to me for all sorts of reasons beyond the purely monetary.

• Like 2

The thought of living with a woman who was not self-sufficient does not appeal to me for all sorts of reasons beyond the purely monetary.

I don't mind if they're not fully dependent on me, as long as they mind their P's and Q's.

Actually I've been house-husband to a couple of working professional wives for a few years and did enjoy that. . .

For some it might, but that's the exact way that I am using it and for reference I am 30.

I recently moved back to Thailand in April and the previous year divorced my Thai wife. We actually remain great friends and work together 3 times a week, we just are like a flame and a keg of dynamite together,

So, I started meeting girls through friends, coworkers, meeting them at night spots like Warm Up and Riverside. Then go out on a date with them and get to know them. More often than not it ended with one or two dates, though we still might meet up for drinks, because our ideals didn't line up. I figure you either end up together for "good" or separated, so why start something off when things don't look promising. My my current girlfriend on a whim as I went to a going away party for a coworker, she was visiting said coworker and we hit it off. The ex I met at work.

I've never had a chaperoned date though.

/csb