Retirement Visa O-A Or In Country Extension Of Stay For Frequent Traveler

German passport

Age above 50+

Thai Bank Account with 800k (bank account is 4+ years old, funds less than 2 months old - I can wait 2 months if I have to)

Goal: Establishing legal long(er) term presence for the purpose of renting or purchasing an apartment, opening (more) bank accounts, obtaining driver's license, and establishing tax home. Eventually retire in Thailand.

I am traveling extensively, am in Thailand for 1-3 weeks at a time and return every 6-8 weeks. I realize I am fine with the entry stamp on arrival, but for the above reasons I want something more permanent. I am semi-retired.

Reading all the posts here, I am confused with physical reporting requirements (do they apply when I am outside the country?).

Let's say I enter with a simple entry stamp. I then go to the immigration office the next day (can I?) and get an extension of stay for 90 days and a multiple entry visa? What if I travel within the 90 days and come back before the 90 days are up? What if I come back after the 90 days? When will my status be one year? It is so confusing....

Edited by RaveBlond

Get yourself a multiple non O Visa. Should give you all, you need.

Embassy/consulate at home is the simplest thing. But with 800k in a Bank account ON YOUR NAME, even KL will give it to a >50 years old, methinks

Edited by noob7

Not really complicated, you can try for a one year multi-entry "O" Visa, but just as easy to apply for a one year "Extension of Stay" based on retirement, and get a multi re-entry permit, the extension would be for one year and the re-entry permit would keep it valid upon departure. Also, not complicated, the 90 day reports are for people staying here 90 days or more, if you're not here, no report.

Edited by beechguy

Not really complicated, you can try for a one year multi-entry "O" Visa, but just as easy to apply for a one year "Extension of Stay" based on retirement, and get a multi re-entry permit, the extension would be for one year and the re-entry permit would keep it valid upon departure. Also, not complicated, the 90 day reports are for people staying here 90 days or more, if you're not here, no report.

But in case, he isn't here, for the next extension, he has to start over with the process.

Doesn't save anything, really, not even space in the passport. And need a multiple re-entry permit

A multiple Non-Imm O gets him what he wants: driving license, bank accounts, ....

Only not sure about a 'tax home', with both visas. That would need a work permit, i think.

Edited by noob7

I suggest you get a multiple entry non immigrant O visa. This visa would be valid for as many 90 day entries you want to make for a period of one year and can do an entry up to date the visa expires.

I suggest you apply for the visa at an honorary consulate in Germany listed here. http://www.guidetothailand.com/thailand-travel-information/honcon-europe.php

But in case, he isn't here, for the next extension, he has to start over with the process.

Doesn't save anything, really, not even space in the passport. And need a multiple re-entry permit

A multiple Non-Imm O gets him what he wants: driving license, bank accounts, ....

Only not sure about a 'tax home', with both visas. That would need a work permit, i think.

That is a consideration. How many days is the extension window? Some posters here mention that whenever I re-enter the country, the entry stamp extends my ability to stay for a year (with 90 days reporting if I really stay, I think). If that is so, why would I need an extension? When does this visa expire? After one year? If that is so, what does a re-entry stamp do? This visa requires a medical and police report and can only be obtained outside of Thailand, correct?

I suggest you get a multiple entry non immigrant O visa. This visa would be valid for as many 90 day entries you want to make for a period of one year and can do an entry up to date the visa expires.

I suggest you apply for the visa at an honorary consulate in Germany listed here. http://www.guidetoth...ncon-europe.php

After one year (or 15 months) I have to do the same thing over again? I.e. medical and police report to an embassy outside the kingdom?

Edited by RaveBlond

I suggest you apply for the visa at an honorary consulate in Germany listed here. http://www.guidetoth...ncon-europe.php

After one year (or 15 months) I have to do the same thing over again? I.e. medical and police report to an embassy outside the kingdom?

You will not need to have medical or police report to get this visa. That is only needed for an OA visa.

If you are ready to stay longer than 2 or 3 weeks then you could get an extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of your 90 day entries at immigration here.

That is a consideration. How many days is the extension window? Some posters here mention that whenever I re-enter the country, the entry stamp extends my ability to stay for a year (with 90 days reporting if I really stay, I think). If that is so, why would I need an extension? When does this visa expire? After one year? If that is so, what does a re-entry stamp do? This visa requires a medical and police report and can only be obtained outside of Thailand, correct?

I was referring to the one year extension of stay, not a visa. The extension is applied for in Thailand, no medical or police check required.

Think best anyone can hope for outside is a triple non-o. Also think if you mention one year they will want to direct you to an o-a. Better, just do it here. One huge benefit of multi non-o as I see it, if you travel is no reporting. That also means not needing a residence in Thailand. So even if yiu plan to be mobile in Thailand, you dont need a place as the extension requires.

Edited by bangkokburning

When does this visa expire? After one year? If that is so, what does a re-entry stamp do? This visa requires a medical and police report and can only be obtained outside of Thailand, correct?

The visa expires after one year. Each entry to Thailand gives you "admitted until" for one year, even if you enter shortly before the visa expires. So almost two years on one visa. But after expiry of the visa you need re-entry permits and when re-entering you will be "admitted until" according the last "admitted until" stamp when using the visa (e.g. the end of the "second year").

As far as I know this visa is only issued at your home country or country of your permanent residence (and not in Thailand of course).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Think best anyone can hope for outside is a triple non-o. Also think if you mention one year they will want to direct you to an o-a. Better, just do it here. One huge benefit of multi non-o as I see it, if you travel is no reporting. That also means not needing a residence in Thailand. So even if yiu plan to be mobile in Thailand, you dont need a place as the extension requires.

A a non immigrant O visa is normally only issued as single entry or multi (unlimited for one year). It does not have anything to do with 90 day reports but as you never can stay longer than 90 days no reports would be required - but if you live here on one year extensions and exit before 90 days you also do not report.

A a non immigrant O visa is normally only issued as single entry or multi (unlimited for one year). It does not have anything to do with 90 day reports but as you never can stay longer than 90 days no reports would be required - but if you live here on one year extensions and exit before 90 days you also do not report.

But you do need to do the extension itself in Thailand and provide a residence. Just my opinion but if you were utilzing this as an O and leaving rather than reporting, imo they will have something to say about it. Im not stating that it will come to anything. Further, Id bet up in areas that are not known for easy processing of extensions, esp those based on marriage your gonna have a bad time. Just my opinion, law aside.

Edited by Mario2008

My point of view, to this question:

Get yourself a multiple entry Non-O visa, now. No health report needed, only (prove of) money in Bank and 50 years old!

You can use it for multiple entries inside the one year validity, every entry is granting 90 days. It can give you up to almost 15 month in Thailand. But with your traveling in mind, probably only 13, max.

This will cost you ~ 5500 Baht. Plus one night accommodation at the consulate/embassy location.

You can get it (with your Bankbook and a online account to this book, to show prove at the Embassy/consulate, or better on a fixed deposit account, methinks) at every consulate/embassy in every country, from where you are planing, to go back to Thailand.

(TV-folks, correct me, if I'm wrong here!)

Additional it will give you the option, for the second year (and follow up years), to extend the stay for another year.

But this would need, that you are IN Thailand, during the last 30 days of the validity of your stay.

Also it needs contact to Immigration IN Thailand, at your prefered 'home' (resident) address.

It will cost you 1900 Extension, plus 3800 for the multiple re-entry permit.

With your travel purpose, it wouldn't need any 90 day reports!

But as long you are planning to travel, like you mentioned in your op, I do not see in an extension of stay any advantage for you!

But the disadvantage, that you need to be at your residence place, at the last month of your granted time.

And you can leave only, after you got your passport with the next extension of stay back!

Sounds not very flexible, to me.

The other way round, it shouldn't be a problem, to plan a stopover for another multiple Non-O on your way back, to Thailand.

Or even no Non-O, for a while, every now and then, if 30 days of stay is enough.

Because you need a Non-Im Visa only, in case you need a resident permit. Extension of driving licenses, bank account books, etc.!

For renting an apartment it's maybe a 50/50 chance, that your visa will be important. Usually you can cover it, paying every time for 2 or 3 month in advance (don't pay for 12, as long you aren't sure, the landlord is a nice guy/lady, taking care his/her objects)

And in case, you keep the rented apartment, anyway,no one will ask again for your passport, in the second year!

But this are just my 2 satang!

Edited by noob7