Masaman

KC 71

Hi, in the Rai some of the mountain people cook a lovely stew called masaman.

It is only mildly spicy.i really enjoy this dish.Do you only get this dish in the north or does it appear all over Thailand ?

I heard its origins are Indonesia but i am not sure.Does the dish vary in taste depending on location?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Massaman, as far as I know is certainly available in some Bangkok restaurants. Often though it is not on the menu as the cooking time is longer than the usual blast-furnace wok type cooking.

It's one of my favourites too. But are you sure you don't mean Gaeng Haeng Lae which is more common up here in the North.

Massaman is like chicken curry.... Gaeng Hang Lae is made out of pork - has a thick soup which has peanut paste if I am not mistaken.

Massaman is originally a Muslim dish bought across to Thailand when the south was a part of Malaysia. It can be Chicken , Beef , Lamb or Pork ( for those non-Muslims) and i have even had prawn Massaman. One of my favourites if the temperature of the dish has just the right amount of bite .

Cheers for the info

I absolutely love it. Next time in Big C or Tops etc you can get a packet of the soup base for this and other favourites.

It all comes under the brand of " Roi Thai" and in 250ml or 500ml packets. Try all their varieties and you wont be disappointed.

Cheers for the info

I absolutely love it. Next time in Big C or Tops etc you can get a packet of the soup base for this and other favourites.

It all comes under the brand of " Roi Thai" and in 250ml or 500ml packets. Try all their varieties and you wont be disappointed.

yep and another brand is LOBO..they have red, green, yellow, masaman etc in packets...my favorite is the yellow curry which works well with a big vegetable stew with lots of potatos or rice and veggies of all kinds....its easy to make, easy to freeze and reheat and OH so good....

I make my own versions of masaman, Panang and yellow curries using 1/2 packet of the Lobo mix and then onions, potato, garlic, coconut milk and whatever beef, pork or chicken I took out of the freezer the day before.

It goes into a small crockpot/slow cooker and put in some fish sauce and Worcester sauce after a while then thicken it at the end with some cornflour.

I made some on Monday and froze half for later with a couple of boiled eggs thrown in as well.

Scrummy yummy.

• Like 1

I have not read all the replies herein but it is very easy to buy the Masaman paste ie it is available in virtually every market in Thailand... The paste is one of those Muslim food mounds exposed to the elements that you walk past holding your nose. It seems to me most markets have such a stall.. Cheap as chips too!. They spoon off a dollop and place it in a plastic bag....