Salt,salt,salt

Apache704

I think all the salt has given you high blood pressure, and if you don’t calm down, something in your head is gonna burst.

Never seen them add salt, but plenty of fish sauce. Yum

There are 1190 mg of sodium in a tablespoon of fish sauce.

there's no "Sodium" in any food stuff even though this misleading expression is used widely in the U.S. of A. including ads and stickers on food and drinks.

Sodium (called Natrium in civilised countries) tongue.png is a metal and chemical element. what is wrongly labelled as Sodium is actually Natrium Chloride (NaCl) = common table salt (aka Sodium Chloride).

this lesson is free of charge laugh.png

So is Sodium Chloride salt?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sodium, (natrium to really old people) is very high in most Thai foods, Thai food is "designed" for agricultural workers and laborers in this tropical country, high carbs and fat for energy and very high sodium for water retention while working the field. Not at all healthy when eaten in high quantities and then back to the aircon sedentary life. My advice is learn the names for all the sodium rich additives and then eat at places where you see the cook and and can tell what you want in your food, a squeeze of lime juice will make many nonsalty foods taste good. French fries are now part of Thai food by the way, available and popular in many Thai places.

• Like 1

I think all the salt has given you high blood pressure, and if you don’t calm down, something in your head is gonna burst.

there's no "Sodium" in any food stuff even though this misleading expression is used widely in the U.S. of A. including ads and stickers on food and drinks.

Sodium (called Natrium in civilised countries) tongue.png is a metal and chemical element. what is wrongly labelled as Sodium is actually Natrium Chloride (NaCl) = common table salt (aka Sodium Chloride).

You lost me there Nam. NaCL=Sodium Chloride = normal table salt. Table salt is used in many foods. Therefore many foods contain sodium. The sodium atom is bound to a chlorine atom to make a salt molecue but never the less it is still an atom of sodium so many foods do indeed contain sodium.

You lost me there Nam. NaCL=Sodium Chloride = normal table salt. Table salt is used in many foods. Therefore many foods contain sodium. The sodium atom is bound to a chlorine atom to make a salt molecue but never the less it is still an atom of sodium so many foods do indeed contain sodium.

And the Sodium ion dissociates in water therefore in the body. About 39.3% of NaCL is Sodium and after dissociating is absorbed in part in the body.

My cardiologist in Bangkok ordered me to stop eating salt. Of course he knew this would not be entirely possible, but one thing he did emphasize was that I should completely stop eating Thai food.

-redwood

I'm also on a zero salt diet, which pretty much rules out eating in Thai restaurants. Not only do they overuse salt and sugar, they are also pretty heavy-handed with the MSG as well. Thai food healthy? Not in a million years.

Edited by giddyup

NaCL = Sodium Chloride = Salt = yes wink.png

Naam wrote, " there's no "Sodium" in any food stuff." So he is just being a twit. There are 1190 mg of sodium in a tablespoon of fish sauce. And that other poster who said Thais don't put salt in food only fish sauce is uninformed.smile.png

In fact I would go out on a limb and say Naam is perhaps the only poster out of 10 million who would not understand sodium in food means sodium chloride or salt.biggrin.png

Naam wrote, " there's no "Sodium" in any food stuff." So he is just being a twit. There are 1190 mg of sodium in a tablespoon of fish sauce. And that other poster who said Thais don't put salt in food only fish sauce is uninformed.smile.png

In fact I would go out on a limb and say Naam is perhaps the only poster out of 10 million who would not understand sodium in food means sodium chloride or salt.biggrin.png

Yes, we all know fish sauce has sodium in it. “That other poster" was being facetious. You know.......humor?

Edited by Shot

Yes, we all know fish sauce has sodium in it. “That other poster" was being facetious. You know.......humor?

Telling a guy who has a heart condition that Thai food does not have salt in it is humor?whistling.gif

yes

We will die either way, a heart attack is likely the lesser of many miseries

You know I have thought about that. There I was sitting the the bar with a flagon of ale and 11 young women catering to my every need while I smoked a pack of unfiltered Camel cigarettes. I got a pain in my chest. Looked around at the women, and the ale, and the pack of Camel cigarettes - grabbed the salt shaker and threw it as far as I could out the door.biggrin.png

if you drink water and call it wine the water won't turn into wine nor is the expression appropriate even if 10 million and one ignorant know that you meant water but called it wine.

by the way, i don't buy that you knew the difference between Sodium and Sodium Chloride and neither did the dozen or more Americans (which i educated on Sodium) because they considered it dangerous and that's why they only drank "guaranteed sodium free" soft drinks laugh.png

• Like 1

let's lose each other!

av-11672.gif

if you drink water and call it wine the water won't turn into wine nor is the expression appropriate even if 10 million and one ignorant know that you meant water but called it wine.

by the way, i don't buy that you knew the difference between Sodium and Sodium Chloride and neither did the dozen or more Americans (which i educated on Sodium) because they considered it dangerous and that's why they only drank "guaranteed sodium free" soft drinks laugh.png

Stop trying to cloud the issue. Fish sauce has lots of salt in it. It is made from anchovies for god sakes. Your bloviated text indicates you have been watching too much American TV again.smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Stop trying to cloud the issue. Fish sauce has lots of salt in it. It is made from anchovies for god sakes. Your bloviated text indicates you have been watching too much American TV again.smile.png

the only one who clouds an issue is you. nobody in this thread said that Thai food or Nam Pla does not contain any salt. what i said is that Thai food does not contain any Sodium. when will you learn (or accept because you don't comprehend) that Salt is not Sodium and Sodium is not Salt?

let's do some more "declouding". a cardio patient with high blood pressure is advised to reduce salt intake as much as possible. but the sodium molecules in common salt won't harm him/her. a cardio patient with low blood pressure (like me who had a quadruple coronary bypass and a single aorta bypass) enjoys 'prikh nam pla' daily (and lots of it) very much.

• Like 1

Yes Thais not only use many sauces and powder mixes containing a lot of salt in their cooking, they also use regular salt as we know it, not at the table but in preparing many dishes.

Our household goes through a kilo about every two months, even though I personally never touch it when I cook (about a third of the meals).

And it's not unhealthy for you at all unless you have a condition in which it's contraindicated, although of course you should monitor the signs with regular checkups so you can catch such at a subclinical stage.

Same of course with the unhealthy types of fat, which are also very prevalent in pre-prepared foods purchased here.

And sugar, although to a much less extent than in the west.

a cardio patient with low blood pressure (like me who had a quadruple coronary bypass and a single aorta bypass) enjoys 'prikh nam pla' daily (and lots of it) very much.

Yes, very good stuff. Plus all the added benefits of the chili’s.

the only one who clouds an issue is you. nobody in this thread said that Thai food or Nam Pla does not contain any salt. what i said is that Thai food does not contain any Sodium. when will you learn (or accept because you don't comprehend) that Salt is not Sodium and Sodium is not Salt?

let's do some more "declouding". a cardio patient with high blood pressure is advised to reduce salt intake as much as possible. but the sodium molecules in common salt won't harm him/her. a cardio patient with low blood pressure (like me who had a quadruple coronary bypass and a single aorta bypass) enjoys 'prikh nam pla' daily (and lots of it) very much.

What is this kindergarten that you can't read anymore? A poster wrote, "I think all the salt has given you high blood pressure, and if you don’t calm down, something in your head is gonna burst.

Never seen them add salt, but plenty of fish sauce. Yum" I realize English is not your first language so the above post means that the poster thinks Thais don't add salt to food and that by implication that fish sauce does not contain added salt.

OK. If you don't believe my interpretation ask another English speaker (who is not stalking me).

So I wrote, " There are 1190 mg of sodium in a tablespoon of fish sauce." Which I got from this quote, "Fish sauce is a pungent Southeast Asian condiment made from salted, fermented fish. Find it in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets. We use Thai Kitchen fish sauce, lower in sodium than other brands (1,190 mg per tablespoon), in our nutritional analyses." From the website http://mobile.eatingwell.com/recipes/vietnamese_steak_salad.html

In the English language the words salt and sodium are used interchangeably when discussing food in common usage. If you would like to have this changed write to somebody how does that stuff.

Salt and sodium are not used interchangeably, pure salt contains sodium as well as other minerals, it is the primary source of sodium for most people wheather it is in fishsauce, soysauce, ketchup, msg or bread. For many people it raises blood preasure to dangerous levels. nothing to fight about or use for American bashing, (though that doesn't require any motivation for some members).

Edited by daoyai

Salt and sodium are not used interchangeably, pure salt contains sodium as well as other minerals, it is the primary source of sodium for most people wheather it is in fishsauce, soysauce, ketchup, msg or bread. For many people it raises blood preasure to dangerous levels. nothing to fight about or use for American bashing, (though that doesn't require any motivation for some members).

Google " Too much sodium in diet" Now google "too much salt in diet" The words are used interchangeably on google.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Tiparos 690mg

Possible, but maybe you have to use two tablespoons to get the same effect?

BTW. I always have to ask for salt when eating in a restaurant.

Edited by Semper
  • Like 1

Google " Too much sodium in diet" Now google "too much salt in diet" The words are used interchangeably on google.

google "yada, yada, yakety-yak bla-bla" laugh.png

Google has built into their search algorithms a facility that lets them set different terms as functionally equivalent.

That doesn't mean the terms should in fact be used interchangeably.

For myself however, arguing against people using the term sodium as shorthand for sodium chloride when the topic is related to a healthy diet is IMO argumentative nitpicking.

If the topic were a chemical-related technical one, fair enough.

• Like 2