Work On Phuket's Bt600Mn Underpass To Start November 21

webfact

Work on Phuket's B600mn underpass to start November 21

Phuket Gazette

p1.jpeg

Traffic heading north through the junction will be reduced to two lanes from November 21. Photo: Gazette file

p2.jpeg

One of the alternative routes suggested for motorists heading north from Chalong was to use Muang Chaofa Road, which joins Kathu and the Anuphas Honda showroom on Chao Fa West Road. Photo: Google Maps

PHUKET: -- The leading engineer heading the project to build Phuket’s first underpass at the Darasamuth Intersection, located in front of the Central Festival Phuket shopping mall, today confirmed that work will commence on November 21.

Speaking at a meeting at the Phuket Highways Office in Phuket Town this morning, Itiwatra Kritsanavanich said that the inside lanes on the north side of the junction will be blocked off with concrete barriers to allow workers to start cutting down the trees on the median strip.

The lane closures will leave two lanes northbound through the junction unaffected, but southbound motorists wanting to turn right, heading toward Kathu and on to Patong, are advised to turn right earlier – either at the Samkong Intersection (in front of Tesco Lotus) or into Bang Yai Road, which runs behind the Big C shopping center.

“From November 21 to the end of the month, we will put the concrete barriers in place so we can prepare the site before we start excavating and installing the retaining walls at the beginning of December,” Mr Itiwatra explained.

“Warning signs will be posted to let motorists know about the project and we have sent a file to Central Festival to print and hand out to customers so they will be aware of the project and know of the alternative routes available in order to avoid the intersection during construction,” he said.

The issue of making alternative routes available came to a head in September when engineers from Italian-Thai Construction Co Ltd, the contractor hired to build the 600-million-baht underpass, held a public meeting to gain feedback and suggestions from local residents on the impact the construction work will have on commuters.

(Click here to see a large map of the area and suggested alternative routes presented at the meeting.)

“We will have another public feedback meeting to follow up on the construction progress next month,” Mr Itiwatra told the Phuket Gazette.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle19380.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-09

Muang Chao Fa Rd is fine until you get to the university & will be a total shambles with even a 10% increase in traffic. There is a turn off before the university (at present you have to turn right through extremely large mud holes) which cuts through to Wichitsongkram Rd but I tried it a few weeks ago & it was not finished. Where the road comes out you can only turn left & then if you wish to double back to Central or Makro or Big C you will have to go to the traffic lights & make a U-turn. They really should have made improvements to the roads around the area before embarking on this project but if they did the underpass would probably not be needed.

I really think, there is a need for some webcams, around the Central and Lotus intersections. clap2.gif

I really can 'see', how drivers wanna squeeze their cars into the 2 lane part, by rushing as long as possible in the third lane. Or wanna turn right at the central intersection, blocking the right lane in total, so that there is "less than 2 lanes" left, for the main traffic.Or trying to turn right from the left lane, because of 'no time' to wait, till the right lane is moving.biggrin.png

Is there a southbound right hand turn into the road behind Big C?

Admittedly, I've been away for a couple of months, but that road has always been accessed either by a u-turn up at Central, or by an illegal u-turn opposite PIH.

Totally agree that the relief roads (Muang Chao Fa, for example) should have been upgraded / created before this 720 day project started.

Admittedly, I've been away for a couple of months, but that road has always been accessed either by a u-turn up at Central, or by an illegal u-turn opposite PIH.

Totally agree that the relief roads (Muang Chao Fa, for example) should have been upgraded / created before this 720 day project started.

They can reopen it.

http://goo.gl/maps/RPPU7

The right turn got closed, the same time, they made the U-turn (oops) at the international hospital only available for southbound.

What I'm worrying about: Anyone of the TukTuk/Taxi Clans ask for rising prices, now?

There are prices offered, without the hours of waiting time, because of traffic jam. (When) will they use this, to rise again?

Edited by noob7

They are apparently reopening the turn. I'll keep you advised as I know you must really miss the daily school run.