British Ambassador Replies To Complaints About Pattaya Consulate Closure

webfact

British Ambassador replies to complaints about Pattaya Consulate closure

By Staff Reporter

British Embassy replies to Pattaya 103 FM letter of complaint about Consulate closure

After the recent announcement of the closure of Pattaya’s British Consulate, we, at Fabulous 103 FM, received numerous emails and Facebook messages from concerned UK ExPats. So much so that we wrote to the Ambassador and the Foreign Secretary, and published our letter to them on our website and facebook pages.

As should be a common courtesy, we asked for a reply and, provided that the reply was not a pre-prepared blurb, we also promised to publish any reply . In its entirety without any editing or amendments.

The following reply was received today from the British Ambassador in Bangkok, who replied very quickly and addressed the issues, from their viewpoint …

Dear Tommy,

Thank you for your e-mail of 8 November about changes to how we will operate in Pattaya which includes the closing of the Consular office there. I have also been asked to reply on behalf of the Foreign Secretary to whom you sent the same letter on 7 November.

Firstly, thank you for writing and setting out your views, and giving me a chance to explain our plans. It is not clear if you have seen the updated information on the Pattaya page of our web site that we added on 6 November. These can be found at: http://ukinthailand....taya-consulate/ This also explains transitional arrangements.

We carefully reviewed the options before deciding to change how we operate in Pattaya. Our key concerns were to ensure that our consular operation in Thailand is focussed on the most vulnerable (i.e. British nationals that are in serious difficulty) and that we are offering an efficient and cost effective service.

As you recognise in your e-mail we are operating in an economic climate where we need to deliver public services as efficiently as possible. This means sometimes having to take decisions which may not be popular with everyone.

It became clear that the existing office in Pattaya was not a long term option. Access for the public was difficult and the public area cramped, noisy and hot – we received regular complaints from customers about this. In addition our staff were operating from a single room lacking basic facilities and with limited security.

This was not sustainable. We looked into various options to improve the situation (extending the office or moving location) but all of these required substantial further investment.

We had to look carefully about whether this would be justified, and what was the best way to meet the needs of British nationals needing consular services.

Full story: http://www.pattaya10...sulate-closure/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-11-09

footer_n.gif

But the Danish consulate can do it !

10% of the population in England.

I even think it is a good business to run a consulate, everything cost money, so what comes in pay more then the cost for sure.

Simple paperwork is 1600 Baht, that is a copule of days salary for the best clerk !

Now you remove the money making activities, but keep the costly ones "Consule" so it is a joke !

So why not do like our transatlantic cousins do and operate regular reach outs and spend a couple of days locally? Far less cost, the boys (and girls) get a junket and things get done!

It would reduce the carbon footprint if someone came out from Bangkok to deal with 50 people than 50 people having to go to Bangkok.

I accept every word that our man in BKK says especially about the consulate office down Jomtien Soi 5, I have never been in there but from the outside it just looks like a cashiers office and obviously unsuitable place to talk confidentially to someone in real need of help, since it was first opened it has probable been closed more days than it has been open so probable best thing is just close it altogether.

The most important thing is anyone who needs help can call 02 305 8333, anytime 24/7, and if needed there will be a Honorary Consul in Pattaya or staff members in BKK to assist.

Edited by Basil B

But the Danish consulate can do it !

10% of the population in England.

I even think it is a good business to run a consulate, everything cost money, so what comes in pay more then the cost for sure.

Simple paperwork is 1600 Baht, that is a copule of days salary for the best clerk !

Now you remove the money making activities, but keep the costly ones "Consule" so it is a joke !

The economic situation regarding provision of services etc is probably best explained here:

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2Bcawl6ee

Pretty fair reply. Will inconvenience some, but that's life.

I do hope they can get rid of the 90-day report though. That would be a real bonus.

What has that to do with the British consulate?

As it affects British subjects, plenty, that's why the Foreign Secretary and Consular Officials have raised the subject with the Thai authorities.

In the medium term we are keen to try to reduce the bureaucratic burden faced by British nationals resident in Thailand such as the requirement for pension letters to support visa renewals and the need to report to immigration every 90 days. I have raised this with the Thai authorities and the Foreign Secretary also raised these issues during his recent visit. It is early days but I hope that we can work with the Thais to reduce this burden on residents.

In September 2011 the British consulate which is next to my wifes office said 'they were taking over our office' this was news to her. After trying to find out what was happening she had a meeting with Consulate officials in March 2012. At that time agreement could not be reached over how much of the office could be given up however in April my wife agreed to their request and notified them. To date they have not had the courtesy to even reply and the closure was the first news she heard.

Obviously we know how busy they have been with queues daily and even the previous Honorary Consul suggested that they were making money. So as previously mentioned the cost and travel/inconvenience surprises me as being cost effective - for whom!

Annual letter of income for British pensioners.

The pension received from Deptartment of Work and Pensions.

Perhaps the British Ambassador can contact the Thai immigration authorities to confirm that the UK government does NOT increase it's government paid pension to OAP's in Thailand.

The imigration authorities can then amend their policy to accept the original proof of income letter on an annual basis, without having to renew it annually..

This would benefit UK pensioners as they would not have to renew this document annually.

Sorry but this is yet another British Embassy bog standard reply before you know it another consulate in Thailand will be closed and the same answer will be rattled out !!!!!!!!!!! Mark Kent is told what to do he is an employee of the British Government and has to follow orders !!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately Briish expats love to loudly and frequently whine (whing) about everything in their lives. In this case, it seems the Embassy listened to the complaints - " Access for the public was difficult and the public area cramped, noisy and hot – we received regular complaints from customers about this"

The expats made it clear that they did not like the service provided in Jomtien, and the Embassy took the obvious step of removing this unsatisfactory service. One wonders how many times the consular staff were thanked for being there - probably never.

The moral - Be careful what you wish for, and don't whine so much about what you have.

Uh, no. The "obvious step" would be to improve the "unsatisfactory service". However, the British authorities don't view expats as customers and have no interest in providing them with essential services at a reasonable price; expats are just their to be exploited for the government's financial gain. The high cost of passport renewal, the high cost of simple administrative services such as proof of address letters and certified copies of passports, the failure to increase the state pension in line with inflation, &c. all show that the British government simply doesn't care two hoots about us expats.

• Like 2

Our key concerns were to ensure that our consular operation in Thailand is focussed on the most vulnerable (i.e. British nationals that are in serious difficulty) and that we are offering an efficient and cost effective service.

Seems reasonable. That in itself takes a huge amount of resources, there's so much. We have the Mr. Kevins:

Fellow Brits’ Fight over Bargirl

011007_6.jpg

Two British friends had an argument over liking the same bargirl and while walking down Soi 7, Pattaya Second Road, the argument led to a fight to get one injured while the other fled.

--http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/147014-two-brits-fight-over-thai-bird/

And ATM highjackers:

Two Pattaya Brits arrested following three bungled ATM Robberies

29_06_55_1_3.jpg

Police Lieutenant General Panya, Region 2 Police Commissioner, held a press conference at Chonburi Police Headquarters on Friday morning to announce the arrest of Mr. Alexander Milbourn aged 24 and Mr. Shaun Edward Tracy aged 34 who were both unemployed and had resided in Pattaya for the last 10 years. They had allegedly devised a plan with a third man, also British, known only as “Richard”, to use Nylon rope attached to a rented vehicle with the other end attached to the cash box of the ATM machine which would then be yanked from the wall. In all three cases the cash boxes could not be opened and the broken ATM machines would be abandoned by the assailants.

--http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/566264-two-britons-nabbed-for-atm-thefts-in-chon-buri/page__hl__atm%20machine

So, not surprisingly, cutbacks in the other areas must happen. Nowadays if you leave early, you can get to the embassy in 1 1/2 hrs by taxi. No big deal. Suck it up, Brits!

I do hope they can get rid of the 90-day report though. That would be a real bonus.

It has a lot to with the British embassy & consulate because their job is to look after the British expats in order to make their residency in a foreign country reasonable that is to say without problems, but they can of course not instruct the Thai authorities to cancel the 90 days reporting system, regardless of the fact that it is an unpleasant activity for expats.

The 90 days reporting did not exist initially in Thailand, it was introduced during the PM Thaksin regime, this seems to indicate that Thaksin regarded foreigners in Thailand as a messy lot that needs to be controlled hence the 90 day "parol" system.

Nevertheless, if UK, US, and EU authorities were to ask Thailand to cancel the 90 day reporting then there would certainly be a possibility that the system might be cancelled, particularly if US president Obama raises the matter whilst visiting Thailand.

In any event ... lets hope so.

It has a lot to with the British embassy & consulate because their job is to look after the British expats in order to make their residency in a foreign country reasonable that is to say without problems, but they can of course not instruct the Thai authorities to cancel the 90 days reporting system, regardless of the fact that it is an unpleasant activity for expats.

The 90 days reporting did not exist initially in Thailand, it was introduced during the PM Thaksin regime, this seems to indicate that Thaksin regarded foreigners in Thailand as a messy lot that needs to be controlled hence the 90 day "parol" system.

Nevertheless, if UK, US, and EU authorities were to ask Thailand to cancel the 90 day reporting then there would certainly be a possibility that the system might be cancelled, particularly if US president Obama raises the matter whilst visiting Thailand.

In any event ... lets hope so.

Let's hope our American friends petition President Obama before his arrival here in the next few days. Do I hear a reply?

The 90 day report, whilst annoying, is not major issue here as it requires only a visit to the local immigration office, rather than Bangkok, and is not at all affected by the closure of the local consulate. As far as I'm concerned the closure is merely the British Government cutting off it's nose to spite it's face as they will no longer be getting my 2400 Baht a year for the income letter as I will now go the 800k route for my retirement extension.

The 90 day report, whilst annoying, is not major issue here as it requires only a visit to the local immigration office, rather than Bangkok, and is not at all affected by the closure of the local consulate. As far as I'm concerned the closure is merely the British Government cutting off it's nose to spite it's face as they will no longer be getting my 2400 Baht a year for the income letter as I will now go the 800k route for my retirement extension.

Wow - your THB 2,400 will make massive impact on the British economy! You'll probably get a better interest rate for your savings here though.

Unfortunately Briish expats love to loudly and frequently whine (whing) about everything in their lives. In this case, it seems the Embassy listened to the complaints - " Access for the public was difficult and the public area cramped, noisy and hot – we received regular complaints from customers about this"

The expats made it clear that they did not like the service provided in Jomtien, and the Embassy took the obvious step of removing this unsatisfactory service. One wonders how many times the consular staff were thanked for being there - probably never.

The moral - Be careful what you wish for, and don't whine so much about what you have.

Accepting your point totally, may I please ask you to consider that not ALL Brits whinge and whinewink.png

Annual letter of income for British pensioners.

The pension received from Deptartment of Work and Pensions.

Perhaps the British Ambassador can contact the Thai immigration authorities to confirm that the UK government does NOT increase it's government paid pension to OAP's in Thailand.

The imigration authorities can then amend their policy to accept the original proof of income letter on an annual basis, without having to renew it annually..

This would benefit UK pensioners as they would not have to renew this document annually.

That's a very good point.

I have always wondered why Thai Immigration wants a new confirmation letter every year and will not accept the original as the pension for us poor old Brits does not change from the UK..

Also, as gmac said earlier in this thread "As far as I'm concerned the closure is merely the British Government cutting off it's nose to spite it's face as they will no longer be getting my 2400 Baht a year for the income letter as I will now go the 800k route for my retirement extension.\"

Another good point. I will certainly look into getting back up to that level by some means or another.

The 90 report has absolutely nothing to do with any consulate it embassy. You don't even have to go yourself to report in. I send my wife to do the 90 day on my behalf but if you're not married you could just as easily send someone else you trust to not run of with your passport.

Oh yeah..we are talking brits here. Never mind.. keep winning, maybe the queen will make it all better for you. :lol: