Farang Negatitivity Towards Rich Farang In Thailand

Lukjaa

I normally only respond to people who publically boast about their wealth who, in my experience usually don't come near to their boasts. I have friends who are earning $2,500 a day (serious) in legitimate employment and would never make that information public.

As for the necessity to the wealthy being shown respect, would you, in this hypothetical example, show respect to K. Somchai who smuggles 100K of meth a month into the country and gets it onto the streets?

I will guarantee K. Somchai is making more money than you ever would, but would you respect him or show him respect?

Jesus Christ guys...are some of you really like this in real life? You go out and have friends and a normal life and really act like this?

yes, a normal life, with extremely close colleagues due to our careers, i just dont see then need for any farang to flaunt his his wealth, jealous never, envious never, just disinterested in people who have to tell me about their wealth.

• Like 1

Let's keep it in perspective, folks. We have had many threads about how much money is enough to live in Thailand. Some have income of 10k a month and are happy and still save some, while other wouldn't know how to make ends meet if they had less than 500k a month. Thai Baht, that is.

The beauty of ThaiVisa is that all these people meet here, even in the same threads.

Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect App

The problem seems to be that those that earn 10k a month don't seem to beleive that anyone else should earn more that they do.

• Like 2

people who boast about their wealth, their career in those select military units are generally berkely hunts, the real class people i have met never talk about money, the members of the elite military units generally never mention it, they save the talking about it to their reunions.

come to pattaya/phuket and tell the world how good you really are, i am sure you will find a audience.

I normally only respond to people who publically boast about their wealth who, in my experience usually don't come near to their boasts. I have friends who are earning $2,500 a day (serious) in legitimate employment and would never make that information public.

As for the necessity to the wealthy being shown respect, would you, in this hypothetical example, show respect to K. Somchai who smuggles 100K of meth a month into the country and gets it onto the streets?

I will guarantee K. Somchai is making more money than you ever would, but would you respect him or show him respect?

Makes us wonder how you know how much your friends earn if they would never tell anyone?

And as for Somchai smuggling 100k Baht of meth a month, that's small fry, I use more than that myself.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Jesus Christ guys...are some of you really like this in real life? You go out and have friends and a normal life and really act like this?

I just got back from lunch in an industrial town. Few tourists; most people work. If you had unloaded that load of buffalo poop at the table the laughter would have been so severe no one would have been able to finish lunch.

• Like 1

Money causes extreme damage to society

Wealth is not a physical problem other people around you find hard to cope with rather a condition of the effects a wealthy person that might like to have a raised position in society creates themselves.

If as a wealthy person you find it easier to cope with people that treat you as a hero, give you special places to park, look up to you as a person, look at your possessions with a feeling of admiration of what a great person you are, find you interesting to talk to, enjoy your company, come you honour your opinion - Then bam there is a big problem in your life

I would like ( if rich or poor ) to be treated by others as equal, personal experiences and friendships of genuine people is not something you can purchase at any cost and I think that is where certain people struggle to find a place in society. Strip away all the cash that person will remain the some person except the outer coatings are gone and low and behold they are no different to anyone else.

I feel a better way to live is to show less outward signs of any particular trait be it wealth, strength, orientation or any other behaviour or fellow brothers and sisters my find opinionated, threatening or cause them discomfort.

People that are understand this might find they are the happiest people on the planet.

A good book - A better way to live - Ogg Mandino

• Like 1

For me it has nothing to do with income rather it's about mutual respect. I will treat anybody poor or rich the same if they give me the opportunity to do so along with some respect.

Treating wealthier people with scorn is just plain petty as it shows the failing of your own that you didn't make that far even. However boasting to a blue collar person how much money you have may not be a good start for a friendship.

• Like 2

Also,

I want my own parking space on Soi 8 in Pattaya so I can park my new BMW so people do not find me In any way a bit of a facetious, materialistic idiot.

Also I can bring a suitcase of money with me to show all the girls at the bar to gain their respect. I will also be able to by all the side street noodles and again impress all those around me

Then people will give me the respect I am due a rich Falang

Let's keep it in perspective, folks. We have had many threads about how much money is enough to live in Thailand. Some have income of 10k a month and are happy and still save some, while other wouldn't know how to make ends meet if they had less than 500k a month. Thai Baht, that is.

The beauty of ThaiVisa is that all these people meet here, even in the same threads.

Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect App

I agree with you and I'd also recommend whenever a person refers to an amount of income there might be given a hint of WHICH currency. There's quite a difference in meaning and impact.

Lot's of currencies on this planet.

Keeping it in perspective would be helpful to me and maybe others.

I think this thread is a good example of why successful people shouldn't talk about money with people who have none. It is just create jealousy and resentment.

Why is it ok to make loads of money as an actor, a singer or a golf player but not as an entrepreneur, I really don't know but that the way it is. Someone who snort cocaine and party with prostitutes all night is a hero but someone who work hard to create wealth and jobs is an assh_le. Why ? I never understood ...

Edited by JurgenG
  • Like 2

I think this thread is a good example of why successful people shouldn't talk about money with people who have none. It is just create jealousy and resentment.

Why is it ok to make loads of money as an actor, a singer or a golf player but not as an entrepreneur, I really don't know but that the way it is. Someone who snort cocaine and party with prostitutes all night is a hero but someone who work hard to create wealth and jobs is an assh_le. Why ? I never understood ...

A hero eh. Now I feel better. I was beginning to question my lifestyle after the backpacker English teachers read me the riot act.

First , let me assure you, Thai people do not respect wealthy people, they show them respect because they are taught to, but they really despise them. They talk behind their back and the talk is of jealousy not respect. They also don't respect Falang, they really despise us in general, but once again they only show us respect to our face. It's their culture. You will never be genuinely respected or liked here. They put up with us because they think we are more wealthy than them. They believe we are actually inferior to them. Thais are very xenophobic and don't believe any other race is better than them. Get on with your life and don't let what you cannot change bother you.

• Like 1

I’m of the opposite opinion, that it is the well off farangs and the archivers that although are not necessarily liked, but are more highly welcomed and tolerated in Thailand, both by Thais and farangs.

I have no respect for those who plonk themselves in Thailand without hardly any prior planning, are unable to meet the Immigration requirements and willing to hustle and do anything including bending the laws in order to remain in Thailand. I have nothing but admiration for people that have done well for themselves and now reaping the benefits of living a comfortable and stress free lifestyle.

Those who display contempt for the better off are mostly those that for one reason or another have not made any positive achievements in their own lives. The dislikes and resentments they have for those who have been more prosperous is actually a form of jealousy.

I think that the title of this thread should be reversed because no one what’s to be associated with losers and most people have respect for those who have made good of they’re lives, even if they don`t like them or would not want to have any as friends.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 2

Success is a great thing to have, a former girlfriend's dad was loaded but drove an older car and was totally unpretentious except for a very nice house. Some well off here seem to like to flaunt it, back in Oz that isn't appreciated (except mayne at the Cruising Yatch Club) nor here I suspect where many are just getting by.

Enjoy the wealth you probably worked hard to accrue and the lifestyle that goes with it, but maybe better not to rub other peoples face in it like mentioning things such as picking up a new Mercedes on a whim because you can.

Success is a great thing to have, a former girlfriend's dad was loaded but drove an older car and was totally unpretentious except for a very nice house. Some well off here seem to like to flaunt it, back in Oz that isn't appreciated (except mayne at the Cruising Yatch Club) nor here I suspect where many are just getting by.

Enjoy the wealth you probably worked hard to accrue and the lifestyle that goes with it, but maybe better not to rub other peoples face in it like mentioning things such as picking up a new Mercedes on a whim because you can.

Aussies eh! Glad you told me that. The research by consultancy RP Data also shows that WA’s Peppermint Grove had the highest median priced home in Australia for the third year in a row, at $4.6 million. How much did Chris pay for his new digs? 57 million.

post-73727-0-43457400-1352547378_thumb.j

Few people resent another person's wealth. It's bragging about it that many of us find nauseating and quite repulsive.

There's a Harry Enfield sketch about a rich braggart available on Youtube. 'I've got considerably more money than you'.

Makes us wonder how you know how much your friends earn if they would never tell anyone?

And as for Somchai smuggling 100k Baht of meth a month, that's small fry, I use more than that myself.

Read what I wrote.................wink.png

"would never make that information public" - nothing mentioned about telling anyone; I am using those figures as an example.

"smuggles 100K of meth a month" - No mention of Baht, reference to weight. If it was a measly 100 grand, wouldn't really be worth it eh??..............thumbsup.gif

I think I am a good example of an outright bitter and envious towards any Farang that mentions how they are above the normal farang wealth level in Thailand. And I call most posters without at least 11 posts who post obvious troll posts; trolls. Hope that helps. smile.png

Why are you bitter and envious? I would have always thought Thai people would be bitter and envious but when I talk to them, they are so accepting of thie position in life and really feel there is so little they can do to change it. With farnags, they have evey opportunity in the world and you might think they would admire another farang who worked hard and was able to rise above the general level, as we are taught to re

so what equates to rich or poor.. I earn 100k per month.. Am i in the poor or rich band?

spect hard work and dedication.

What does 10 posts have to do with being a troll? So if I had 10,000 posts and lived my life on ThaiVisa, that in some way gives me more credibility?

some here would like to believe that having posted 4000 times gives them some sort of credibility.

I personally believe quite the opposite is true.

• Like 1

I think I am a good example of an outright bitter and envious towards any Farang that mentions how they are above the normal farang wealth level in Thailand. And I call most posters without at least 11 posts who post obvious troll posts; trolls. Hope that helps. smile.png

Why are you bitter and envious? I would have always thought Thai people would be bitter and envious but when I talk to them, they are so accepting of thie position in life and really feel there is so little they can do to change it. With farnags, they have evey opportunity in the world and you might think they would admire another farang who worked hard and was able to rise above the general level, as we are taught to re

so what equates to rich or poor.. I earn 100k per month.. Am i in the poor or rich band?

spect hard work and dedication.

What does 10 posts have to do with being a troll? So if I had 10,000 posts and lived my life on ThaiVisa, that in some way gives me more credibility?

some here would like to believe that having posted 4000 times gives them some sort of credibility.

I personally believe quite the opposite is true.

Credibility comes at 1370smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Maybe they respect the rich because there is more social mobility in Thailand? I mean, anybody off the street can basically start up a business here with minimal investment. Talk about the land of opportunity. Try doing that in some farang countries. I think Thailand is much more socially mobile than even the USA(where I used to live).

Hard work has nothing to do with getting rich. See those laborers? Work 12 hour days and get minimum wage.

Maybe they respect the rich because there is more social mobility in Thailand? I mean, anybody off the street can basically start up a business here with minimal investment. Talk about the land of opportunity. Try doing that in some farang countries. I think Thailand is much more socially mobile than even the USA(where I used to live).

I agree about the ease of becoming an entrepreneur with a minimum or red tape at the low end. However that's not at all the same thing as "social mobility" in the sense of the upper classes accepting a self-made business person in less than a few generations of wealth.

And those businesses with low cost of entry are usually so competitive that they bring the proprietor a return on investment hardly beyond a barely-living wage.

The more lucrative fields definitely require more education than what is offered to the urban poor, much less the peasantry upcountry.

True social mobility requires the latter most of all, and I'm afraid there the US really falls down.

Personally I think most ordinary people would prefer the lower up-side opportunities but higher equality of say the Scandinavian countries.

It's not so much that farang in Thailand don't respect wealthy farang, it's that they don't respect people who need to tell you about how wealthy they are.

As if they need to tell you how wealthy they are, then maybe they think that having a lot of money makes them worthy of your respect, when it it's what you do with it that makes you worthy of respect.

I believe that Thai people (generally), feel the same way.

Also farang in Thailand, likely compare the wealth of farang here, to that of people in their home countries, instead of to Thai people. Thus a farang with a 50 million THB net worth, isn't nearly as amazing as what it would be for a Thai person to have a similar net worth.

• Like 2

First , let me assure you, Thai people do not respect wealthy people, they show them respect because they are taught to, but they really despise them. They talk behind their back and the talk is of jealousy not respect. They also don't respect Falang, they really despise us in general, but once again they only show us respect to our face.

Making broad, sweeping generlizations like this is always the sign that someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

Envy, jealousy and the like is a common poison of all people.

And Thais don't despise farangs, they might strongly dislike the idea of the stereotypical euro-trash monger, just like a lot of Europeans dislike the stereotypical idea of the arab immigrant, however, any reasonable person would not assume that ALL people of one group are so.

Thai people don't despise farangs, but they may despise what the idea of a farang represents. However, the normal, reasonable Thais will judge on a case by case basis and be smart enough to tell by your manner and behaviour if you're going in the 'whoremonger drunkard' box or in the 'interesting and normal' foreigner box.

• Like 1