Lost Genuine Windows 7 Activation Key, Where To Get One Or How To Update To Windows 8 Winthout Key ?

Fgis

Hello,

Before upgrading to Windows 8 I re-installed my windows 7 to find that I do not have the product key anymore ! Stupid me !

Can you tell me if I can update to Windows 8 without activating Windows 7 or if I need how could I do ? Any program that bypass the check or pretends that Windows 7 is activated to allow me to later update to paid windows 7 ?

Or is there any way to buy online a cheap windows 7 product key ?

I am just so lazy and don't want to buy the full version of Windows 8 that cost 3000 Thb and that is not available online.

Thank you for your help.

Do you know what version of 7 you have, and whether it's a retail version or an OEM version? Microsoft Support will support retail versions and give you another product key. In theory, the OEM versions come with support only from the vendor, but you could ask Microsoft anyway.

Every time Windows performs an update, it checks to see if your version is genuine. It also records what some of your hardware is, because OEM versions are licensed for just one machine. If you ditch one machine and try to install it on another, it will no longer be validated.

You should have used a program like Belarc Advisor or something to pull your product key before you did this. Better yet, use Windows Backup to image to another disk just in case.

You may get lucky, or you may be out of luck.

Edited by NeverSure

Yes there are solutions but it depends where you are in the process of upgrading.

Have you already bought the Win8 $39 upgrade and have the product key?

or

Are you trying to buy the Win8 upgrade but can't complete validation because your present Win7 is not activated?

I don't want to mention the site here as I may be breaching some rules, but if you do a Google search for activation key for Windows 7 or 8, you will find what you're looking for.

Edited by giddyup

I suspect that most here do not have a genuine version of Windows. I certainly don't. On the rare occsions that things go wrong I take the PC down to the shop where I bought it and they put their latest version of Windows up for free.

I suspect that most here do not have a genuine version of Windows. I certainly don't. On the rare occsions that things go wrong I take the PC down to the shop where I bought it and they put their latest version of Windows up for free.

You're probably right but I think that Windows 8 may reduce that. Firstly because Microsoft has changed tack on fighting piracy in recent years and has taken a pretty reasonable approach in offering Win8 at USD40 to upgrade. Also a lot of the cloud based features in Win8 will encourage people to go genuine. More like Apple.

On top of that, the activation technology in Win8 is much stronger than in previous versions. I guess hackers all over the world are working on that right now and history tells us they always find a way. But I doubt that, at least for now, your local shop can install and permanently activate a non-genuine Win8 machine.

There is a Registry edit to allow use of the Windows 8 Upgrade version for a clean install and still activate. That would be a workaround when you can't find the activation key for Windows 7. I can't recall where I saved this from. In Win8:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE

Change "MediaBootInstall" from "1" to "0"

Then open an elevated Dos command (Start > Run > CMD (right click Run as Administrator)

slmgr /rearm

That does require that you have a valid/genuine Windows 8 activation key, of course.

Just Google "Windows 7 Product key." There are many resellers that bought overstocked copies of Windows 7 and will gladly sell you a legal product activation key (without the disc) and email it to you in literally minutes. Activate your present copy and off you go!

By the way, The Product keys cost anywhere from 800 to 1500 Baht, and this goes for you unlicensed XP user also. Get legal and get the windows updates without looking over your shoulder. For a few dollars, quid or baht, it's worth having less hassle to deal with!

There are a few free programs that will help recover your activation key from an existing install. Just have a google, I used one a few weeks ago no problem. Edit: Try this (free version), I think this was it.

www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Edited by Crushdepth

Do you know what version of 7 you have, and whether it's a retail version or an OEM version? Microsoft Support will support retail versions and give you another product key. In theory, the OEM versions come with support only from the vendor, but you could ask Microsoft anyway.

Every time Windows performs an update, it checks to see if your version is genuine. It also records what some of your hardware is, because OEM versions are licensed for just one machine. If you ditch one machine and try to install it on another, it will no longer be validated.

You should have used a program like Belarc Advisor or something to pull your product key before you did this. Better yet, use Windows Backup to image to another disk just in case.

You may get lucky, or you may be out of luck.

Years ago I had a the retail version of Office and duly registered with Microsoft. After a bad virus I did a reinstall and found the kids had torn up the key, telephoned Microsoft Australia who said that it was my tough luck and to buy a new version.

Since that day I have never purchased a Microsoft product and never will, my computer however does run all the latest products, fully updated.

Since that day I have never purchased a Microsoft product and never will, my computer however does run all the latest products, fully updated.

Congratulations.

Another "hero", who is proud to run a lot of pirated (MS) software..well done!

Edit: forgot to mention, a friend from Germany bought a valid W8 license from his pirated Windows7.

So it seems, the W8-Updater is not really choosy, which version of Windows you are running..

Edited by retoocs01

If I have a pirated copy of Windows 7 which has not been detected as pirated, can I do the upgrade for $40? I ran the Windows 8 upgrade checker and it scanned away, gave me a report and it seemed I was one click away from parting with $40 and an upgrade.

^^

if you can buy it, you can use it. Even a clean/parallel install is possible.

You don't have to "upgrade" your existing installation

This is correct. I've bought 3 upgrades so far and no problems except on activation after a clean install. But the registry edit as suggested by wpcoe fixes that.

It seems as if Microsoft will turn a blind eye to a dodgy activation on Win7 in order to get you back into the (legal) fold.