Fancy European Style Restaurant

mrireland

Have to agree with you Nancy, the only reason I ordered a burger was that everything else we had before hand wasn't satisfactory and it was almost 2 hrs. into the meal and I was starving so I went for something I thought was safer and more filling. We were ordering and sharing as we went. First a hot app came with a caesar salad which was room temp (in an outside restaurant in Thailand that's hot for such a dish), wilted, soggy and the dressing had broken (meaning the emulsification had denatured which makes it turn into a watery state), because I imagine they started it at the same time and it sat in the hot kitchen for twenty min. Since the app was not the one we ordered we shared the salad and waited another 30 min for the inedible crab dish. Then 20 min more two strands of pasta came and since I'm went for a bike ride in the morning in anticipation of a great meal by then just wanted to be fed. The entrees weren't 4500 ea., that was for the whole meal for two. Even the bread sticks with a tomato dipping sauce had one big chunk of tomato core in the middle so it's apparent there was little love in the preparation of the food.

And the restaurants name is????

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marco's is good.

You could also try Perns on Huay Kaew Road, just up from the Mall on the other side of the road. It's on trip advisor.

I'll second the recommendation for Perns on Huay Kaew Road. It's just down the road from where I live and I've eaten there 20-plus times. Never had a bad meal there. And, IMO, decent prices for the quality of food you get.

Marco's is good.

You could also try Perns on Huay Kaew Road, just up from the Mall on the other side of the road. It's on trip advisor.

I'll second the recommendation for Perns on Huay Kaew Road. It's just down the road from where I live and I've eaten there 20-plus times. Never had a bad meal there. And, IMO, decent prices for the quality of food you get.

Is Perns the place next to the Salsa Kitchen Mexican restaurant?

There are many good Western style restaurants which serve fancy cuisine in CM. Examples include: La Fourchette, Cafe Mini, Lapin, La Terrasse, in addition to Chez Marco. Dukes does not fall into this category---whether you like their food or not, it is not "fancy".

However the place I would strongly recommend for a treat is the monthly World Buffet at Le Crystal. It has everything from an extraordinary range of really fine food to great ambience and service---it feels like fine dining in a fancy restaurant. This month it is on Sat 24th. The cost is 1200B---a real bargain for the quality. With free flow wine I think just add an extra 600B

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Le Coq d'Or.

Marco's is good.

Yes!

I agree--Le Coq d'Or is excellent. Chiang Mai is really fortunate in having a remarkable range of really good restaurants. However I'd still recommend the monthly buffet at Le Crystal for a "treat" over Le Coq d'Or, because it is such good value for fine dining in a fancy restaurant.

• Like 2

Marco's is good.

Yes!

The owner is a lovely fellow, but he lacks focus! The results are spotty!

I like La Fourchette, but (unless something has changed fairly recently) it is not air-con, so best to go during cool season.

No it's not air-conditioned. But it's an open air place and I don't think that most people who are even slightly acclimated to Thailand's climate would find the evening temps there uncomfortable this time of year.

This restaurant tries very hard to please. They are not always successful, but they are worth visiting. The "godfather" of the restaurant was the chef at Coq d'Or for many years.

What the heck is ll this concern about air con?! This is the tropics! Get used to it!!

I'm surprised that someone who was prepared to pay 4500 baht for a meal was interested in ordering a burger. Doesn't seem like a "signature" dish for a restaurant in the price range.

As mentioned -- good burgers and other American style fare -- go to The Duke's -- the original one on the east side of the river, not the one in the Night Bazaar. Had lunch there yesterday -- fantastic caesar salad -- perhaps the best I've had in CM. I was concerned that it wouldn't fill me up, so I ordered a side of grilled shrimp skewers. When the salad arrived, I realized it was huge and would have been enough for lunch on it's own. But, those grilled shrimp sure were tasty, too! Total bill a little less than 300 baht.

Pern's Restaurant on Huey Kaew is great for European-style fare. Had dinner there yesterday evening and got a great chicken breast stuffed with feta cheese and spinach. Others in our party enjoyed the special of the day -- some sort of bacon-wrapped chicken breast and one got a great pasta dish. Total bill for four, with a bottle of wine and couple of beers -- 2000 baht.

In both places, the service was great and the atmosphere nice. Now if someone wants real elegance and a five-star atmosphere, you can't go wrong at the Chedi. Most of their menu items are well under 4500 baht and I certainly wouldn't order a burger there.

Gosh, after all this fine dining yesterday, maybe I should go swim some laps this afternoon!

Are you a shill for Khun Perm? He is a nice guy, but his cooking is very hit or miss. Maybe your experience with really good restaurants is lacking. Budget does make a difference! Anyway, the whole idea of ordering a hamburger in any restaurant other than the cholesterol champ, The Dukes,is really hilarious, but --- true --- great portions for the ravenous. Seem to mostly Americans!! Need a hamburger fix? Go to The Dukes!! Then go to your doctor!!

Okay, Dave! Over to you! Tell us about your salad menu !!!!!! Then tell us how much you make off salads for lunch compared to hamburgers!!

Okay, Dave! Over to you! Tell us about your salad menu !!!!!! Then tell us how much you make off salads for lunch compared to hamburgers!!

obviously you've been drinking to have made such a remark.

Not really! A straightforward personal assessment, as all are here!

I would recommend a French restaurant with a set menu. I'm saying this because a set "menu" is a standard thing in France and it takes you through the whole dining experience which sounds like what you want. I tried to find websites and menus for the French restaurants here without a lot of success. However, I did find Le Crystal's menu and they have a couple of set menus that have amuse boche, choice of appetizer, choice of soup, sorbet (palette cleanser), choice of main course, choice of dessert, coffee and petit fours. Now that is what I would call treating myself! I have never eaten here yet, but it was on my list of places to try. We went to Le Coq d'Or many years ago and I cannot remember what we had. More recent, we have eaten at Chez Marco which is pretty good, but it has a more relaxed atmosphere and I don't know if they have set menus. We also have eaten at La Terrasse which is down the street from Chez Marco. The dining area is more formal and quiet and we thought the food was pretty good. I don't think we went with the set menu when we were there. We tried La Forchette when they were pretty new. We thought it was just okay.

One other place that has great food presentation is W by Wanlamun. It is fusion (Thai/French) food. The first time we went was terrific. We liked our food Thai food spicy and got it. The second time we went was just okay. We tried to tell them to make it spicy, but they didn't listen so it went from great to not so great. I don't think they have a set menu.

Have fun treating yourself! Let us know if you find something good...

I would highly rec. Beccofino Italian Trattoria, 20/2 Soi 7, Nimanhaemin Rd, very good Italian. It's another expensive one (don't remember how much check was but around 2000 bht per/person range). I've enjoyed La Terrasse, Che Marco, and Lapin. I found La Forchette just ok, one main reason was that French food is all about the sauce, and it was once again more like soup, such a common mistake here that shows the kitchen doesn't understand the basics of the cuisine they are preparing. Since there is no rice to soak up the flavor and it won't adhere to the what it is suppose to be enhancing such as the meat. Went to what Perns was before with the same owner and ordered Shepard's Pie. The pic looked like it was covered in fried potatoes instead of mashed and I inquired and was told they were not fried. Out came a big mound of deep fried potatoes with two spoonfuls of ground meat underneath. When the owner came over I asked him about it and he said he'll do something for me "next time". But since I was there then so why not do something now, so there was never a next time nor have I felt like trying the his new place either. There's something we called goodwill in this business back the West (which is the reason why I rather not name the place in my previous posts, see good intentions don't always pave the road to hell), and it translates to happy customers who return and tell their friends too, never the less raises the worth of the establishment. So when dealing with Western owners, in Western restaurants and in some cases paying Western prices it's nice to be treated professionally. I'd be hard pressed to go to any buffet for fine dining, even if the dishes and ingredients were upscale because pre-cooked food just doesn't hold and produce high quality results in most cases. Must try Coq d'Or next when I forget how disappointed I usually get eating high-end here.

There are many good Western style restaurants which serve fancy cuisine in CM. Examples include: La Fourchette, Cafe Mini, Lapin, La Terrasse, in addition to Chez Marco. Dukes does not fall into this category---whether you like their food or not, it is not "fancy".

However the place I would strongly recommend for a treat is the monthly World Buffet at Le Crystal. It has everything from an extraordinary range of really fine food to great ambience and service---it feels like fine dining in a fancy restaurant. This month it is on Sat 24th. The cost is 1200B---a real bargain for the quality. With free flow wine I think just add an extra 600B

What price range is Le Coq d'Or in?

I agree though I have had some decent meals that were pricey, usually Italian, more expensive does not translate to better here most often. Just yesterday took my GF for lunch which incl. a burger and a pasta with salad, which were all not very good, and it cost over 4,500.00 bht. Think there is a reason your search didn't turn up anything!

4500 . . . is that a wagyu or foie gras burger with caviar as a side? blink.png

Yes, me thinking same same. Unless someone knows different its almost (???)impossible to spend that here for 2 persons.

There are a lot of restaurants out there with small pretentious portions of food that come at a hefty price.

If you are not prepared to accept a 4 digit number when the "bin" is brought to you, then I suggest you stay away from so called swanky restaurants.

There are some excellent "all you can eat" buffet restaurants around town and often in the top hotels and if you can take your nose out of the clouds, the cook yourself BBQs are a great experience, and great value.... dont always think they serve only cheap, poor quality, bad tasting food ( but I agree there are many)

Many places will do freshly cooked dishes as you order; well most really and whilst we all eat to different budgets I personally have never had a "bin" for 4 people over 2000bt inc drinks at a so called expensive place.

...and I still walk out rubbing my belly like santa claus.

??? I just said it did. It did incl. one glass of wine (400 bht), one coffee, two desserts and an app of soft shell crab which was inedible. The ONE small crab, as they should be, was cut up into four pieces and beer battered (like fish and chips) so ea. leg was 6" long and 1" wide so the tiny soft leg meat could not even be tasted and barely even seen never the less the batter was raw in places. And should I get into the poor excuse for a pasta dish? Ok since you asked (555), Scallops w/lasagne noodles and shrimp bisque. Nice number of large seared sea scallops, good start, with TWO pieces of pasta that were 4" by 2" ea. w/the bisque as the broth. I understand the fine dinning concept of "nouvell cuisine" with small portions, beautifully displayed, which is wasn't, and all the components working in a harmony of flavors and textures etc. But how is soup suppose to coat a flat noodle? So no flavor adhered to the pasta and the scallops just got wet and lost their nice texture from the searing. This is what one is paying for when dining at gourmet restaurants and one must appreciate such to feel he or she has gotten their monies worth.

Did you leave a tip?

Edited by Semper

I would highly rec. Beccofino Italian Trattoria, 20/2 Soi 7, Nimanhaemin Rd, very good Italian. It's another expensive one (don't remember how much check was but around 2000 bht per/person range).

It's interesting how different people have different experiences at restaurants (at different times). No consistency here... I went to the above-mentioned place one time and we ordered pizza. It was one of the worst pizzas I ever had. The crust was soft and barely cooked on the bottom and when we complained, they were very unfriendly about the whole thing, sending a big guy over who tried to assure us everything was cooked properly. Would not go back.

Here is a review for 'The House' 199 Moon Maung Road. I occasionally use it, never been disappointed.

This wonderful supper-only bistro was established by a resident Dane who immediately upped the culinary standards in Chiang Mai. Set in an old 1960s edifice that's been lovingly restored, the main dining room has large windows with gorgeous drapes, silk cushions, and candlelit tables; upstairs there are two rooms that are even cozier. An internationally trained Thai chef works his magic on a constantly evolving menu of regionally influenced classical dishes, a medley of grilled items and imported steaks, and lamb and seafood when available -- there are fabulous desserts to boot. For good value, order the four-course set dinner (with a free glass of wine) for 900B. Outside is a Moorish souk-styled lounge bar with lights in the trees, and a separate tapas bar for snacks. This refined dining spot, with its romantic nooks and funky furnishings, caters to the discerning traveler.

Trip Advisor link

Even though "The House" (199 Moon Muang Rd.) also has some Thai food in its menu I would count it among the higher western category. Not cheap but reasonably priced. Enchanting, somehow romantic ambience, attentive service, good variety of wines and cocktails in addition to superior tasteful and nicely presented food.

Never left it unsatisfied.

Oh, just seen - someone was quicker than me ...

Edited by rebo

Semper:Yes I left 300 bht on top of the 10% added to bill.

electrified: It is unfortunately too common that places are inconsistent, how many times have I been back to a place for a dish I liked and find that it is made with different ingredients (perhaps whatever is on hand). I am surprised to hear how they treated you as when we were there the staff were so accommodating, quietly just in sight and doing there best to anticipate our needs and the manager, if I remember from correctly just there from Bangkok, with helpful and intelligent food suggestions. But I'm not surprised that in any particular establishment some things are good while others not. Often now I have my go to places for this and that, not just Italian food for example but pizza, pesto or bolognese.

And I agree with lizardtounge (he must have good taste buds) that the

The House is pretty good and def. prepared things correctly with a well trained staff to serve it.

Edited by junglechef

The more Jungle Chef (appropriate name) tries to explain his original misleading posting, the more he discredits his "information." And he doesn't seem to want to identify this terrible place in which he kept throwing good money after bad and adding more and more insult to injury.. and his final, incredible bill. I'll skip his "reviews" from now on.

• Like 2

There are many, many good European restaurants in Chiang Mai (and also some very good American ones like Dukes). Here are some tips:

1) 137 Pillars House;

2) Le Coq d'Or (fancy and very expensive);

3) Le Crystal Restaurant (fancy French)

4) Antique House (2 locations);

5) Giorgio (Italian);

6) Fujian (Chinese) in 5 star Mandarin Hotel;

7) The Whole Earth (not specifically Western but vegetarian and Indian); beautiful garden setting

8) Chez Marco;

9) The Rachamankha;

10) La Terrasse

11) Piccola Roma Palace

12) La Fourchette (not as fancy as the other French restaurants above but good food in nice setting; moderately expensive)

Edited by TheVicar
  • Like 2

The more Jungle Chef (appropriate name) tries to explain his original misleading posting, the more he discredits his "information." And he doesn't seem to want to identify this terrible place in which he kept throwing good money after bad and adding more and more insult to injury.. and his final, incredible bill. I'll skip his "reviews" from now on.

What's is misleading about anything I've posted? I don't believe anybody got insulted, not me for sure as I've explained what I am prepared to expect at these places, and for sure nobody got hurt as it was just a lunch date after all (in which we had an enjoyable afternoon). I've explained why I wrote what I have and have given a good idea of why I choose not to name and blame in this particular case. I've made my chooses and I respect yours too.